Skipper

Default Time for Moderation?

This NG has is going through challenging times. Where once it was the
predominant boating NG populated by many industry experts, it has now
become little more than an off-topic chatroom. Most of truly
knowledgeable have long since abandoned this forum for saner climes.
Where once the very best advice could be found here, now serious
questions will most likely be greeted with flame.

Perhaps the time has come to convert rec.boats to a moderated NG and
restore its previous image. Yes, I know it would be a daunting task. To
win, the proposal must have 100 more YES votes than NO votes and
two/thirds of the votes must be YES. We could announce the proposal in
*all* the boating groups.

The moderation could be set up to recognize white contributors and black
contributors. Thus automating 95% of the moderation tasks. New
contributors could be hand moderated until they've posted two or three
times. Moderators could be voted on by the group, and a committee would
have to agree before a contributor was blacklisted (we don't need a
BoaterEd). Open on-topic debate WOULD be encouraged.

Should you be interested in seeing this forum as a moderated NG respond
in this thread. If there is enough support we'll just grab hold of the
tiger's tail and run with it.

--
Skipper
RCE

"Skipper" wrote in message

Perhaps the time has come to convert rec.boats to a moderated NG and
restore its previous image. Yes, I know it would be a daunting task. To
win, the proposal must have 100 more YES votes than NO votes and
two/thirds of the votes must be YES. We could announce the proposal in
*all* the boating groups.

--
Skipper

Skipper and Skipper,

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter without
success.
To your knowledge, is there one? I think a review of the charter, if it
exists, should be a prerequisite to voting for or against changing it to a
moderated newsgroup.

The only document I found related to the early formation of rec.boats was
this FAQ:

http://www.gulf-stream.net/recboats/recboatsFAQ.html

RCE

JimH

"RCE" wrote in message

"Skipper" wrote in message

[...]

This proposal is from Skipper............a nice guy who re-entered this NG a
little over a month ago, with his first posts (over a 2 to 3 week period)
flaming and telling lies about Chuck Gould and other respected members here.

His recent posts have been nothing but trolls.........attempts to start
arguments.

Ignore him......he not worth any further effort on your part. ;-)

Skipper

RCE wrote:

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter without
success. To your knowledge, is there one?

I posted *all* existing rec.boats hierarchy charters a couple days ago.
Advice if you want me to repost.

I think a review of the charter, if it exists, should be a prerequisite
to voting for or against changing it to a moderated newsgroup.

There is a lot of info in usenet regarding changing a nonmoderated NG to
a moderated one. It really varies little from forming a new NG. Advise
if you want one of these cites reposted here.

The only document I found related to the early formation of rec.boats was
this FAQ:

http://www.gulf-stream.net/recboats/recboatsFAQ.html

And he spoke to the originator of rec.boats (John Hughes?) when he
developed that site.

--
Skipper
RCE

"Skipper" wrote in message
RCE wrote:

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter without
success. To your knowledge, is there one?

I posted *all* existing rec.boats hierarchy charters a couple days ago.
Advice if you want me to repost.

A link would be appreciated.

RCE

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
RCE wrote:
"Skipper" wrote in message
RCE wrote:

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter
without
success. To your knowledge, is there one?
I posted *all* existing rec.boats hierarchy charters a couple days ago.
Advice if you want me to repost.

A link would be appreciated.

RCE

I read that charter years ago. There was nothing of interest in it.

What charter? I don't think rec.boats actually *has* a charter.
Here's a reference to this subject by Peter Meek (remember the rec.boats
ball caps?)

http://tinyurl.com/dfguh

RCE

Skipper

RCE wrote:

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter without
success. To your knowledge, is there one?

I posted *all* existing rec.boats hierarchy charters a couple days ago.
Advice if you want me to repost.

A link would be appreciated.

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...newgroups/rec/

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

There was some old copy that circulated through the newsgroup as robot
postings every few months. It was pretty much useless verbiage.

That was *not* the charter.

Why Snipper is so interested in a "charter" and a moderated newsgroup is
beyond reason. Is he hoping to get rid of those he doesn't like here and
attract naive newbies who might actually believe the b.s. he spews here?

Doubt seriously I would be voted one of the mods. However, I would like
to see this NG return to its former form. It would take some time, but
suspect the best would return. I also believe you'd be one of the better
contributors in a moderated rec.boats...but *on-topic* and issuing
minimal insults.

Honestly, Krause, wouldn't you prefer to take the high road and see the
forum restored to the usefulness it enjoyed in the past?

--
Skipper
RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Why Snipper is so interested in a "charter" and a moderated newsgroup is
beyond reason. Is he hoping to get rid of those he doesn't like here and
attract naive newbies who might actually believe the b.s. he spews here?

That's my point to Skipper. I wanted to give him a chance to produce a
rec.boats "charter". There isn't one.

It is my understanding that in Usenet it is customary to vote on a change to
the group's charter to accomplish things like going from unmoderated to
moderated. Rec.boats has no official charter (that I know of) to vote for a
change of.

RCE

RCE

"Skipper" wrote in message
RCE wrote:

I have searched Google looking for the original rec.boats charter
without
success. To your knowledge, is there one?

I posted *all* existing rec.boats hierarchy charters a couple days ago.
Advice if you want me to repost.

A link would be appreciated.

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...newgroups/rec/

--
Skipper

Nope. No rec.boats "charter" there.

Got another?

RCE

How to get experience so that I can escape? henderob Cruising 23 February 7th 06 06:05 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM