Default After all these years, I finally found a boat for Dave!

JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800, wrote:

If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

I went up to LaConner today to see if I could find an interesting boat
for the NW Classics column of our magazine, and I hit paydirt. This is
a one-off world cruiser, full displacement hull, 30 tons of lead
ballast, no windows below the main deck, etc etc etc.(The boat itself
isn't truly a classic, but the design and concept most certainly is) I
took a bunch of photos and notes to build an article around, but here's
a link to the broker's web site where one could get a look at the boat.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

Thanks for the link, Chuck. Nice boat and it seems reasonably priced if
it's in decent condition. It looks as though it was well taken care of.

And, it prompted only five (so far) derogatory comments against Skipper,
not counting the original post, of course.

The original post was not supposed to be a derogatory comment. I
remarked, honestly, that this was the sort of boat that Skipper had,
(at one time at least), been interested in acquiring. I fail to see how
that was a derogatory comment- and beyond the fact that he was once
shopping for a boat like that (something he has freely attested to
here) there wasn't even a single personal statement.

I do wish he'd elaborate on his feelings that this boat wouldn't be
adequate for coastal cruising from AK to MEX, with occasional
(possible) diversions to HI. Aside from marginal range (easily
corected), I fail to see why this wouldn't be a darn good boat for the
purpose.

Reggie Smithers

wrote:
JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Chuck,
It was a great looking boat, why was the price so reasonable?

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
markvictor

The term "spartan functionality" comes to mind...and equipped on a
tight budget...Manual windlass?...aaarrgh!

JohnH

On 21 Jan 2006 09:32:40 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

It *is* strange how some folks will use *any* post as an excuse to make
personal attacks. If I lived where you do, I'd love to have a boat like
that. I think it's beautiful.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******

JohnH

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:02:10 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

I came across something that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years
ago when he was in Seattle doing some shopping.

http://tinyurl.com/dkjym

So, for someone looking to cruise from the Gulf of Alaska to the Cortez
and avoid the return bash by diverting to Hawaii you'd recommend that
boat? Fascinating! Do you believe intended usage plays at all in boat
selection?

--
Skipper

What does any of that mean to a drygulcher in Derby, Kansas, like you?

Now we're up to six!
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JohnH wrote:
On 21 Jan 2006 09:32:40 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Skipper is a Jew-hating, black-hating turd who works overtime at being
obnoxious. Perhaps that kind of hatred is ok with you.

Hatred is hatred Harry and yours is of the type that is particularly nasty
towards those that disagree with you politics.

JohnH

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:26:56 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 21 Jan 2006 09:32:40 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Harry, do you really think your constant name-calling affects our opinion
of anyone besides you?
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Skipper

Default Chuck's Boat Recommendation

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/dkjym

So, for someone looking to cruise from the Gulf of Alaska to the Cortez
and avoid the return bash by diverting to Hawaii you'd recommend that
boat? Fascinating! Do you believe intended usage plays at all in boat
selection?

Absolutely. What do you figure from Mexico to HI, 2500 miles? Maybe a
bit less? (Depends where you set out from, of course) Right now, with
1000 gallons, she's supposed to have an 1800 mile range. Add a pair of
250 gallon fuel tanks and a watermaker you're set. 70,000 lb
displacement, deep draft, full displacement hull? This is what a true
seagoing boat looks like.

To your eye maybe, but not mine. AND I suppose it does depend on what
your definition of is is. While the boat is pleasing to the eye, it is
not the best choice for the stated usage. It's a boat better suited for
inward passage cruising, IMO. Suspect you may have fallen victim to a
bit of stableblindness here, Chuck.

I'll mention just a few of the obvious problems with your choice of the
best boat for the stated usage:

1- Fuel costs for this vessel is about $200+ per day. That can add up
rather quickly on a voyage from Tracy Arm to Mazatlan. Sail might be the
more prudent choice.

2- I believe roll could well be a problem offshore with that boat's
unstablized rounded bottom.

3- Only having one (1) head on long voyages is more of risk than I'd
like to assume.

4- The boat is well short of the amenities needed for such a voyage.
Ground tackle also seems substandard for the intended usage. That
$225,000 asking would only be the starting point to equip this boat for
offshore passagemaking.

There are other shortcomings that would disqualify this boat for subject
passagemaking, but let me note it DOES have some very good things going
for it as a Northwaste boat. Dry stack, keel cooler, woodburner in the
master are a few of the attractions for someone doing your type of
boating.

--
Skipper

wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 21 Jan 2006 09:32:40 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Skipper is a racist pig. There are many posts of his in the archives that
demonstrate he hates Jews and blacks. That's enough for me not to want to
give him the benefit of anything.

Perhaps you are comfy with racist slimeballs. I am not.

You hate Republicans and other non-Democrats. What's the difference hate is
hate.