Skipper

Default Boat Recommendation

DSK wrote:

Go to Ft Lauderdale which has more used boats for sale than any other
place that I know. There are always some Cal 2-46s available. This
is a boat that has crossed oceans and circumnavigated more than anyone
can count, and you can buy them for $100K or less if you shop around.

We looked at a couple. They were all in need of major refits: new
engine, new genset, new rigging, new sails, new electronics, canvas,
you name it, plus major cosmetic work.

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find *many* boats meeting the spec
in Fort Lauderdale. Couple years ago Jordan alone had 2 Peterson 46s, 3
Gulfstar 50s, and several other spec compliant boats in *cruise ready*
condition...but then their location had just been sold to service
megayachts.

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:21:26 -0600, Skipper wrote:

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find *many* boats meeting the spec
in Fort Lauderdale.

If you're serious, you owe it to yourself to take a look. It's a nice
time of year to visit Lauderdale and with a couple of phone calls
you'd have brokers falling all over themselves to find you a boat.

After actually seeing a few in the "bargain basement" category you'll
have a better idea of what's out there.

DSK

49' Albin Tri-Cabin
* Year: 1980
* Current Price: US$ 129,000
* Located in St. Petersburg, FL
* Hull Material: Fiberglass
* Engine/Fuel Type: Twin Diesel
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1472603

Wayne.B wrote:
Quoting from the listing: "She is priced below market to reflect some
deck repairs which will be necessary."

Not a good thing, and if the deck needs repair what kind of
maintenance have those Ford Lehmans and the two gensets been getting?

Yep. That's like putting up a billboard "WARNING: This Boat
Poorly Maintained." Not to mention the overall build quality
of the old Taiwin built Albins is atrocious (the new
Canadian ones are pretty good), they're one of the very few
that use talc slurry & chipboard bulkheads, not to mention
K-Mart lamp cord grade wiring.

And what about those black iron fuel tanks that are so famous for
rusting out?

A potential problem, to be sure... our boat has black iron
tanks (1984) but the installation is not under any deck
fittings and they look & sound pretty good. The biggest
problem (I've been told) is when water leaks in & stands on
the top of the tank.

My guess is well over $50K to get it ship shape, probably closer to
$100K if you want everthing done right.

Agreed, but then we're pickier than many people. A lot of
folks are happy if the engines run & they just go driving
around in the boat until something dies.

In fact it's surprising how many people will look at the
mahogany veneer, and the recently 3M-ed gelcoat, and
conclude that a boat is "in great shape" even though the
engine coughs up clouds of blue smoke & the lights sputter
whenever anything ie switched on or off and the bilge smells
like 30 years of accumulated slime.

The Skookum in Thailand is another interesting listing since the Skook
is a proven world cruiser, and has long been an object of Snipper's
affection. Good ones are going for around $300K so we can probably
infer that the one in Phuket has other issues besides an inconvenient
location. They have one other minor drawback: a draft of 8 feet
which can get you hard aground almost anywhere you choose.

But you can still go a lot of places, especially when the
tide is up
Personally, I like exploring little creeks & out-of-the-way
bays, I wouldn not take a boat with 8' draft, or a flying
bridge 30' in the air, as a gift. Sometimes I think our 36'
is too big (3'6" draft, 12' bridge clearance), there are a
lot of creeks & potential anchorages in our area that we
can't get in to.

One thing that I noticed, a LOT of these boats are bank repos.

Fair Skies- Doug King

Netsock

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:47:26 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

A couple of years ago, I steered Skipper to the URL of a Canadian
builder putting together what looked like a lovely 32' trawler for
around $200,000. I mean, it was one hell of a boat. And new. But it was
too small for our boy.

So?

I don't believe Skipper is a serious purchaser. I didn't believe he was
in the past, I don't believe he is now, and I don't think he will be in
the future.

Just as most hear think about you.

If you happened to find a boat that met his spec's, I doubt
he could purchase or finance it.

Same goes for you.

If I recall, you said Mrs. Skipper was a bit hesitant to board a fairly
large boat at dockside. I fortunately have a wife with sealegs. When
she's aboard, she's the one that goes forward for anchor handling or bow
line tossing.

I've seen a picture of your alleged wife. How long does it take her to
"get forward"?
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/
Netsock

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:45:34 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

My 25' Parker has about that much headroon in the main cabin. I've been
in lots of 30-footers with that much headroom.

When did you get a Parker Krause? Did you sell the Zimmerman?

I don't think it matters much what Snipper's spec's are...he ain't buying.

At least he aint a boatless liar.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Bill Kearney

Default After all these years, I finally found a boat for Dave!

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper is a Jew-hating, black-hating turd who works overtime at being
obnoxious. Perhaps that kind of hatred is ok with you.

Hmmm, so what's your excuse then? Or are just the plain garden-variety
jackass?

DSK

Default Boat Recommendation... boat prices

One thing that I noticed, a LOT of these boats are bank repos.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
i was surprized this morning by a call from a good friend who sells
high end bass boats - the bank has repored a few of them over the
winter - geve me a hell of a price on a 21 footer.

So, are you buyin' it?

IMHO with the economy what it is (careful, I don't want to
tread too close to politics) and the cost of energy likely
to push inflation higher & higher, the market value of 2nd
hand boats is going to continue to plummet. Probably 1/2 or
more of all the boats in marinas across the land are
upside-down, and candidates for bank repo IMHO.

I'm shopping for a sailboat right now, and seeing some ask
prices that would have been amazingly low 2 years ago.

Fair Skies- Doug King

JohnH

wrote:

My 25' Parker has about that much headroon in the main cabin. I've been
in lots of 30-footers with that much headroom.

When did you get a Parker Krause? Did you sell the Zimmerman?

I don't think it matters much what Snipper's spec's are...he ain't buying.

At least he aint a boatless liar.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Are you adding something to the group with this continuous nonsense? You're
putting yourself in the same category as the *other* person who insists on
the continuous name-calling and personal attacks.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
DSK

So, are you buyin' it?

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
thinking about it - id have to seel the ranger though - my wife would
kill me if i bought a fourth boat.

I don't know if my wife would kill me, but we'll see. I know
she won't be happy, but then I can think of a lot of things
that would make her a lot more unhappy. And at one time she
was quite an enthusiastic racer but lost interest in being
soaked & bruised on small tippy sailboats.... keelboat
racing may well light the spark again. I can think of a long
list of people who are worse spinnaker crews.

But I just got rid of a boat, so now I have some "headroom"
so to speak...

I'm shopping for a sailboat right now, and seeing some ask
prices that would have been amazingly low 2 years ago.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
no kidding doug - ive had people stop by the house and ask about the
halman - one guy offered 8k for it.

Take it. Go buy another for less. It's called 'arbitrage.'

Seriously there are $100K+ boats in good shape that are
being refused as donations now. It's a strange market.

BTW have you gotten any sailing done in your Halman?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King