Default After all these years, I finally found a boat for Dave!

If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

I went up to LaConner today to see if I could find an interesting boat
for the NW Classics column of our magazine, and I hit paydirt. This is
a one-off world cruiser, full displacement hull, 30 tons of lead
ballast, no windows below the main deck, etc etc etc.(The boat itself
isn't truly a classic, but the design and concept most certainly is) I
took a bunch of photos and notes to build an article around, but here's
a link to the broker's web site where one could get a look at the boat.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

I went up to LaConner today to see if I could find an interesting boat
for the NW Classics column of our magazine, and I hit paydirt. This is
a one-off world cruiser, full displacement hull, 30 tons of lead
ballast, no windows below the main deck, etc etc etc.(The boat itself
isn't truly a classic, but the design and concept most certainly is) I
took a bunch of photos and notes to build an article around, but here's
a link to the broker's web site where one could get a look at the boat.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

How much will you give him on trade for his 22 foot '86 Bayliner? ;-)

Eisboch

wrote in message
oups.com...
If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

Humphrey Bogart, where are you?

Eisboch

Skipper

wrote:

I came across something that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years
ago when he was in Seattle doing some shopping.

http://tinyurl.com/dkjym

So, for someone looking to cruise from the Gulf of Alaska to the Cortez
and avoid the return bash by diverting to Hawaii you'd recommend that
boat? Fascinating! Do you believe intended usage plays at all in boat
selection?

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:58:08 -0600, Skipper wrote:

So, for someone looking to cruise from the Gulf of Alaska to the Cortez
and avoid the return bash by diverting to Hawaii you'd recommend that
boat? Fascinating! Do you believe intended usage plays at all in boat
selection?

What? The only thing missing in your case is the training wheels.

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

I came across something that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years
ago when he was in Seattle doing some shopping.

http://tinyurl.com/dkjym

So, for someone looking to cruise from the Gulf of Alaska to the Cortez
and avoid the return bash by diverting to Hawaii you'd recommend that
boat? Fascinating! Do you believe intended usage plays at all in boat
selection?

Absolutely. What do you figure from Mexico to HI, 2500 miles? Maybe a
bit less? (Depends where you set out from, of course) Right now, with
1000 gallons, she's supposed to have an 1800 mile range. Add a pair of
250 gallon fuel tanks and a watermaker you're set. 70,000 lb
displacement, deep draft, full displacement hull? This is what a true
seagoing boat looks like. Even Beebe would probably approve. You could
skip the additional fuel tanks if you're only going to coastal cruise
and willing to forget about Hawaii. If you had to, you could sail this
thing with a jib.

I was aboard this boat today, and she's built hell for stout. People
make Hawaii all the time in little mass-pro sailboats that couldn't
hold a candle to this trawler.

Dene

wrote in message
oups.com...
If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

I went up to LaConner today to see if I could find an interesting boat
for the NW Classics column of our magazine, and I hit paydirt. This is
a one-off world cruiser, full displacement hull, 30 tons of lead
ballast, no windows below the main deck, etc etc etc.(The boat itself
isn't truly a classic, but the design and concept most certainly is) I
took a bunch of photos and notes to build an article around, but here's
a link to the broker's web site where one could get a look at the boat.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

So....what the heck are the masts for? Nice interior. The
exterior....well....it would have to grow on me, like cancer. ;

-Greg

Dene wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The short mast and boom aft can be used to haul and launch a dinghy
(like I do with my own boat) and it can also be rigged with a staysail
to help improve stability a bit. In an emergency, you can use the
staysail for a tiny bit of propulsion as well.

The tall mast on the foredeck carries a forestay that could be used to
hoist a jib, and the little boat would look just splendid with a proper
genoa billowing off the bow. There's no mainsail boom. You'd sail her
in an emergency, or for some stability under certain conditions.

Not show in the photos is one heck of a long SSB radio antenna. I
didn't actually note where that mounted, but it wouldn't be off the
mast as the mount and the antenna itself is rather long and will extend
well above the horizon.

I'm sure that's the first time I've seen a ceramic tile floor in an
engine room. :-)

Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...
If Dave M. were still in the market for a boat, I came across something
that would have appealed to him 6 or 7 years ago when he was in Seattle
doing some shopping.

I went up to LaConner today to see if I could find an interesting boat
for the NW Classics column of our magazine, and I hit paydirt. This is
a one-off world cruiser, full displacement hull, 30 tons of lead
ballast, no windows below the main deck, etc etc etc.(The boat itself
isn't truly a classic, but the design and concept most certainly is) I
took a bunch of photos and notes to build an article around, but here's
a link to the broker's web site where one could get a look at the boat.

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/co...=laconnerys &

The stand up engine room, alone, makes me drool! Nice boat.