posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
jabadoodle

Default Question about replacement gas tank.

Hi everyone.

(To skip my long windedness you can jump directly to the
four numbered questions at the bottom. Thanks!)

We have, as some of you may recall, a 1958 Chris Craft
that we've restored and been using. This year we have taken
the engine out to have it rebuilt. Good thing we did. The exhaust
manifold was about rusted through and the inside of the engine
is also all rusted through such that the water jacket passages
were not cooling her properly. (Though the temperature
gauge was getting plenty of cooling, so it looked ok by
the gauge.)

Anyway - aside from the engine, we are thinking of replacing
the fuel tank this year. The tank is steel and is rusting inside. We
see the rust in our fuel filter. Quite a lot of it. ~ I don't mind
changing the filter from time to time, but don't want a gas tank
leak.

So -- the current tank is a cylinder shape. Approx 50 gallons
with INSIDE dimensions of about 15.75" diameter and
57.5" long. (Outside is a little bigger with the thickness of the
steel and on each end there is a "lip" overhanging.)

As a first step I called the company RDS that does custom
tanks for West Marine. They said they "won't" make cylindrical
tanks. ~ The man I spoke with was not sure if that's only because
they don't have the equipment/ability to make cylindrical tanks
or if it's some safety issue.

So, four questions:

#1: Is there any reason to avoid a cylindrical tank as a replacement?

#2: Anyone know who much make such a tank?

#3: We're thinking replace the steel tank with aluminum to cut down
on weight. Any reason NOT to do that?

#4: If we can't find someone to build the tank we want is there any
process or coating that can be done to salvage our current tank?
(Current tank is rusting inside, but not leaking)

Thanks,
Gary

#1: Is there any reason to avoid a cylindrical tank as a replacement?

#2: Anyone know who much make such a tank?

#3: We're thinking replace the steel tank with aluminum to cut down
on weight. Any reason NOT to do that?

#4: If we can't find someone to build the tank we want is there any
process or coating that can be done to salvage our current tank?
(Current tank is rusting inside, but not leaking)

If there is decent wall thickness left, you can try POR-15 tank sealer.
It does work IF you follow ALL the instructions and steps properly.

But you must realize that a rusted tank is compromised. IEn borrowed
time. You may extend the life of the tank for 4 or 5 (or more) years,
but it won't ever be as good as new.

Thanks,
Gary

the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

#1: Is there any reason to avoid a cylindrical tank as a replacement?

#2: Anyone know who much make such a tank?

#3: We're thinking replace the steel tank with aluminum to cut down
on weight. Any reason NOT to do that?

#4: If we can't find someone to build the tank we want is there any

"FREDO" wrote in message news:ylywf.14487

Why not go with a polyethylene tank?

Good question.

The space we have for the tank is limited. The cylindrical shape
works well there. But it would have to be very close to the same
diameter & length. Otherwise it wouldn't fit or else we'd loose
capacity.

So, can they custom make those polyethylene tanks to my needs
and/or do you think they'd be available in the size we need?

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
Bill McKee

"jabadoodle" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"FREDO" wrote in message news:ylywf.14487

Why not go with a polyethylene tank?

Good question.

The space we have for the tank is limited. The cylindrical shape
works well there. But it would have to be very close to the same
diameter & length. Otherwise it wouldn't fit or else we'd loose
capacity.

So, can they custom make those polyethylene tanks to my needs
and/or do you think they'd be available in the size we need?

Thanks.

Talk to a welder or maker of tanker trucks. They could weld end caps on a
15" diameter aluminum pipe. Either 60xx or 50xx series for marine use. Low
copper, more corrosion resistant. A good welder would add a couple of
baffles, and the fittings for hoses.

Also contact Coastline Equipment in Bellingham, WA. they make most of the
aluminum fuel tanks for the northwet boat manufacturers.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
jabadoodle

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
k.net...