NOYB

Default Marine generator question (cost?)

I'm in the final stages of buying a boat, and the generator is not working.
The seller has agreed to fix the generator as part of the sale, or replace
it (up to a maximum, yet-to-be-determined price) if it's not repairable.

It currently has a Kohler 5kw gas generator.

What would be the replacement cost if:

a) I got the same unit as a replacement

or

b) I replaced it with a diesel generator (and had to add a small diesel fuel
tank)

DSK

NOYB wrote:
I'm in the final stages of buying a boat

Why are you buying a boat that's big enough to have a 5KW genset, and
it's not diesel?

DSK

Wayne.B

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:32:02 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:
It currently has a Kohler 5kw gas generator.

What would be the replacement cost if:

a) I got the same unit as a replacement

or

b) I replaced it with a diesel generator (and had to add a small diesel fuel
tank)

Sticking with the same fuel (gas) will be more convenient and less
cost up front. I installed a Kohler 7.5 KW gas generator in my old
boat and I belive the cost with installation was about 8 or $9K. Last
year I installed a 20KW Kohler diesel with a sound shield in the GB49
and the total cost was around $19K of which installation was about $6K
and the sound shield (highly recommended) about 1K. Diesel gensets
tend to cost about 20 to 30% more than gas, but are cheaper to run and
possibly more reliable.

Speaking to DSKs point, I would seriously reconsider the decision to
buy a boat with gas engines unless it is under 10,000 lbs or so. Even
then I would still consider diesels knowing that you use your boat a
lot, and that you might be interested in longer range. Operating
costs are about 50% less with diesel, range about 100% greater and
resale value considerably higher, especially with a heavier boat.

NOYB

"DSK" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
I'm in the final stages of buying a boat

Why are you buying a boat that's big enough to have a 5KW genset, and it's
not diesel?

Grady White 300 Marlin with twin Yamaha 250hp outboards.

I have limited draft clearance at low tide. All of the diesel boats that I
like draw too much water.

Plus, they're too slow. This Grady is a 45+ mph boat.

So what's a replacement genera

NOYB

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:32:02 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:
It currently has a Kohler 5kw gas generator.

What would be the replacement cost if:

a) I got the same unit as a replacement

or

b) I replaced it with a diesel generator (and had to add a small diesel
fuel
tank)

Sticking with the same fuel (gas) will be more convenient and less
cost up front. I installed a Kohler 7.5 KW gas generator in my old
boat and I belive the cost with installation was about 8 or $9K.

So I'm I'm not that far off in figuring about $5 to 7k for a replacement 5KW
Kohler?

Last
year I installed a 20KW Kohler diesel with a sound shield in the GB49
and the total cost was around $19K of which installation was about $6K
and the sound shield (highly recommended) about 1K. Diesel gensets
tend to cost about 20 to 30% more than gas, but are cheaper to run and
possibly more reliable.

I agree. But installing a diesel generator would require installing a
separate tank, and I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Speaking to DSKs point, I would seriously reconsider the decision to
buy a boat with gas engines unless it is under 10,000 lbs or so. Even
then I would still consider diesels knowing that you use your boat a
lot, and that you might be interested in longer range. Operating
costs are about 50% less with diesel, range about 100% greater and
resale value considerably higher, especially with a heavier boat.

I can't get a boat that draws over 2 1/2 to 3 feet, or I won't be able to
get through some of the areas I run through on the winter low tides. I need
outboards.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
I'm in the final stages of buying a boat
Why are you buying a boat that's big enough to have a 5KW genset, and
it's not diesel?

Grady White 300 Marlin with twin Yamaha 250hp outboards.

I have limited draft clearance at low tide. All of the diesel boats that
I like draw too much water.

Plus, they're too slow. This Grady is a 45+ mph boat.

So what's a replacement genera

Nice boat, but at 45 mph, that "hawg" must burn close to a gallon per mile
per hour, somewhere between 40 and 50 gph. Yikes!

What's the optimal cruise, 30 04 35 mph?

Better than I expected for 2-strokes.
Optimum cruise: 32.6mph 1.43mpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/p...0190-GRW-Z.pdf

That same boat with 250hp 4-strokes:
optimum cruise of 30.7mph and 1.58mpg

http://www.gradywhite.com/popup/spec...300&file=F250T

Wayne.B

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:52:20 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I can't get a boat that draws over 2 1/2 to 3 feet, or I won't be able to
get through some of the areas I run through on the winter low tides. I need
outboards.

I understand, we have the same issues here in Cape Coral. There are
some diesel I/Os being produced but I have no experience with them.