Wayne.B

Default Marine generator question (cost?)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:32:02 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:
It currently has a Kohler 5kw gas generator.

What would be the replacement cost if:

a) I got the same unit as a replacement

or

b) I replaced it with a diesel generator (and had to add a small diesel fuel
tank)

Sticking with the same fuel (gas) will be more convenient and less
cost up front. I installed a Kohler 7.5 KW gas generator in my old
boat and I belive the cost with installation was about 8 or $9K. Last
year I installed a 20KW Kohler diesel with a sound shield in the GB49
and the total cost was around $19K of which installation was about $6K
and the sound shield (highly recommended) about 1K. Diesel gensets
tend to cost about 20 to 30% more than gas, but are cheaper to run and
possibly more reliable.

Speaking to DSKs point, I would seriously reconsider the decision to
buy a boat with gas engines unless it is under 10,000 lbs or so. Even
then I would still consider diesels knowing that you use your boat a
lot, and that you might be interested in longer range. Operating
costs are about 50% less with diesel, range about 100% greater and
resale value considerably higher, especially with a heavier boat.