Default OT Insurance Co Warns About Global Warming Cost

Jeez, if Harvard Medical School and UN Development program would just
ask BushCo and the right wing lemmings, they'd know that there isn't
such a thing as global warming.

Insurance Company Warns of Global Warming's Costs
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Managing Editor
posted: 01 November 2005
04:34 pm ET

One of the world's largest insurers warned today of the economic costs
of global warming.

"Climate change will significantly affect the health of humans and
ecosystems and these impacts will have economic consequences,"
concludes a new study cosponsored by Swiss Re, a global re-insurance
company.

The research was done by the Center for Health and the Global
Environment at Harvard Medical School and also sponsored by the United
Nations Development Program.

Costs already rising

In the report, 10 case studies outline current effects of climate
change, from infectious diseases such as malaria and West Nile virus to
extreme weather events such as heat waves and floods. Changes to
forests, agriculture, marine habitat and water were considered.

Economic implications as well as possible near-future impacts are
projected for each case.

Lyme disease is increasing in North America as warmer winters allow
ticks to proliferate, the study concludes. Ragweed pollen growth,
stimulated by increasing levels of carbon dioxide, may be contributing
to the rising incidence of asthma, the scientists say.

Broad implications

"We found that impacts of climate change are likely to lead to
ramifications that overlap in several areas including our health, our
economy and the natural systems on which we depend," said Dr. Paul
Epstein, the study's lead author and Associate Director of the Center
for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School.
"Analysis of the potential ripple effects stemming from an unstable
climate shows the need for more sustainable practices to safeguard and
insure a healthy future."

Swiss Re is a global re-insurance company, meaning it assumes the risk
from the smaller insurance companies that individuals and businesses
deal with. It has been warning about the costs of climate change since
at least 2003.

"Whereas most discussions on climate change impacts hone in on the
natural sciences, with little to no mention of potential economic
consequences, this report provides a crucial look at physical and
economic aspects of climate change," Jacques Dubois, Chairman of Swiss
Re America Holding Corporation. "It also assesses current risks and
potential business opportunities that can help minimize future risks."

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The debate is not over global warming, it is over the causes.

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If good, clean, proper science shows (and it does) that CFC's are a
major contributor to global warming, then BushCo says that that science
is wrong, then the debate is also whether it is happening. You see,
it's happening at a FASTER RATE than ever before. What a remarkable
coincedence that CFC's are at higher levels than ever before. So, in a
way you are correct, but you are also wrong, because the administration
is saying that the science doesn't support the fact that warming is
happening at a higher rate than ever before.

Dr. Dr. Smithers

Bill,
The problem I have with ignoring Global Warming, is the consequences are so
severe if they are correct and you are wrong. We know pollution is harmful
to humans and the ecosystem, we need to start making substantial reductions
in pollution and impose substantial tariffs and penalties on those countries
that don't.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Doug Kanter

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote in
message . ..
Bill,
The problem I have with ignoring Global Warming, is the consequences are
so severe if they are correct and you are wrong. We know pollution is
harmful to humans and the ecosystem, we need to start making substantial
reductions in pollution and impose substantial tariffs and penalties on
those countries that don't.

I assume you'd include our country with those penalties.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Faster than ever before. You been here for 1,000,000 years? 20 miles of
Glacier Bay melted in about 1860. Not come back. Who did the CFC thing?

Bill McKee

The debate is not over global warming, it is over the causes. Pollution is
another matter. The 2 dirtiest polluters are the old USSR and the present
day China. Is a rare day that the sun is seen in China, due to all the
smog.

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote in
message . ..
Bill,
The problem I have with ignoring Global Warming, is the consequences are
so severe if they are correct and you are wrong. We know pollution is
harmful to humans and the ecosystem, we need to start making substantial
reductions in pollution and impose substantial tariffs and penalties on
those countries that don't.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

P. Fritz

Kevin remains as clueless as ever

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

P. Fritz

The consequences IF they were correct are minimal compared to natural
cycles, the impact to the world population to make such reductions would be
substantial.

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote in
message . ..
Bill,
The problem I have with ignoring Global Warming, is the consequences are

so
severe if they are correct and you are wrong. We know pollution is

harmful
to humans and the ecosystem, we need to start making substantial

reductions
in pollution and impose substantial tariffs and penalties on those

countries
that don't.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

P. Fritz

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

"So what drives global climate, if not greenhouse gas concentrations?
Well, maybe it's the sun.

There are three variables affecting the Earth's orbit--orbit shape, tilt,
and wobble--which profoundly affect weather patterns. The Earth's orbit does
not form a circle as it moves around the sun--it forms an ellipse, passing
further away from the sun at one end of the orbit than it does at the other
end.

During a 100,000-year cycle, the tug of other planets on the Earth causes
its orbit to change shape. It shifts from a short, broad ellipse that keeps
the Earth closer to the sun, to a long flat ellipse that allows it to move
farther from the sun and back again.

At the same time the Earth is orbiting, it also spins around an axis that
tilts lower and then higher during a 41,000-year cycle. Close to the poles,
the contrast between winter and summer is greatest when the tilt is large.
The Earth wobbles because it is spinning around an axis that tilts back and
forth. Thus, a temperature drop occurs in the Northern Hemisphere when it
tilts away from the sun; then the same thing happens in the Southern
Hemisphere and again in the North, in a 22,000-year cycle.

We know from simple physics that the additional energy added to the
climate system by the doubling of atmospheric CO2 is about four watts per
square meter (W/m2)--a very small amount of energy when compared to the 342
watts per square meter added by the sun's radiation at the top of the
atmosphere, and small also when compared to natural variations in the amount
of radiation the sun sends toward the Earth.

The possible increase in energy stored in the atmosphere due to human
activity is also small when compared to uncertainties in the computer
simulations of the Earth's climate used to predict global warming. For
example, knowledge of the amount of energy flowing from the equator to the
poles is uncertain by an amount equivalent to 25 to 30 W/m2. The amount of
sunlight absorbed by the atmosphere or reflected by the surface is also
uncertain, by as much as 25 W/m2. Some computer models include adjustments
to the energy flows of as much as 100 W/m2. Imprecise treatment of the
effect of clouds may introduce another 25 W/m2 of uncertainty into the basic
computations. (2)

These uncertainties are many times larger than the four W/m2 input of
energy believed to result from a doubling of CO2 concentration in the
atmosphere. It is difficult to see how the climate impact of the four W/m2
can be accurately calculated in the face of such huge uncertainties. As a
consequence, forecasts based on the computer simulations of climate may not
even be meaningful at this time."

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15726