Doug Kanter

Default OT Insurance Co Warns About Global Warming Cost

"Don White" wrote in message
John H. wrote:

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of the
year. We
also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

Limestone gravel will reflect heat better than black asphalt, I would
think.

All kinds of gravel roads get plowed here.
If they didn't, a lot of people would be isolated.

Yeah, but that's not the same as a huge parking lot outside a major grocery
store. People get real twitchy when food stores are dirty. Imagine what a
store would look like on one of those winter days when the sun melts just
the surface for a few hours. If it were a dirt parking lot, it would be mud
for just long enough to the floors in the store to look like a barn.

John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:27:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

Sounds like a good idea. I've also seen the use of gravel in parking
lots,
instead of concrete. Gravel allows water to penetrate and not become
more
polluting run-off.

We're talking about heat retention here. And, gravel would be an insane
idea
in huge parking lots where snow needs to be plowed for 4-5 months per
year.

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of the
year. We
also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

Limestone gravel will reflect heat better than black asphalt, I would
think.

Yeah well anyway...gravel ends up getting shoved into the same end of the
parking lot where the snow goes, leaving bare ground and mud. Then, it needs
to be redistributed in the spring. It also provides an endless supply of
rocks to be thrown by vandals.

The operator raises the blade of the plow so as not to scrape the gravel. It's
not like plowing pavement where the blade must ride on the surface. A half inch
or so of snow on gravel makes little difference to the traction.

Are the vandals in your community prevented from vandalizing by paved lots?

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:58:54 -0500, thunder wrote:

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of the
year. We also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

You had to mention snow? I just looked out and saw my first flakes of the
season. ;-(

I look out and see three inches of leaves covering the lawn I just cleared
yesterday.

I'd rather see snow.

Then I could practice writing my name.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:08:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
John H. wrote:

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of the
year. We
also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

Limestone gravel will reflect heat better than black asphalt, I would
think.

All kinds of gravel roads get plowed here.
If they didn't, a lot of people would be isolated.

Yeah, but that's not the same as a huge parking lot outside a major grocery
store. People get real twitchy when food stores are dirty. Imagine what a
store would look like on one of those winter days when the sun melts just
the surface for a few hours. If it were a dirt parking lot, it would be mud
for just long enough to the floors in the store to look like a barn.

Not dirt, Doug, gravel.

Besides, if we're protecting the earth from meltdown, what's a little dirt on
the floor. That's why God made straw for brooms!

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Doug Kanter

"John H." wrote in message

Yeah well anyway...gravel ends up getting shoved into the same end of the
parking lot where the snow goes, leaving bare ground and mud. Then, it
needs
to be redistributed in the spring. It also provides an endless supply of
rocks to be thrown by vandals.

The operator raises the blade of the plow so as not to scrape the gravel.
It's
not like plowing pavement where the blade must ride on the surface. A half
inch
or so of snow on gravel makes little difference to the traction.

Are the vandals in your community prevented from vandalizing by paved
lots?

At any point in the past, have you made any observations of how kids behave?

Doug Kanter

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
John H. wrote:

[...]

Gravel would be a great thing for shopping carts, Garp.

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:27:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The blade NEVER rides on the pavement. If it did, it would chew it to
hell. It rides on what are commonly called the shoes. But, when the
snow gets packed and packed, and thaws, then freezes, the gravel does
get picked up and moved.

Are the vandals in your community prevented from vandalizing by paved lots?

Damn, you really should work on your comprehension. That question was
just plain stupid.

John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:03:39 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
John H. wrote:

[...]

Yup, one might have to make two or three trips. Luckily, most Americans can use
the exercise.

Our local Giant doesn't allow carts in the parking lot. People go get there cars
and load them at the front of the store. Giant usually has a guy out front to
help. Works great!

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Doug Kanter

"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:53:48 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Right. So you know that even a relatively OK kid, when presented with a
sudden richness of rocks, will pick on up and throw it, even if he knows
he'll catch hell when it breaks something.