Doug Kanter

Default OT Insurance Co Warns About Global Warming Cost

wrote in message
oups.com...

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:27:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

Sounds like a good idea. I've also seen the use of gravel in parking
lots,
instead of concrete. Gravel allows water to penetrate and not become
more
polluting run-off.

We're talking about heat retention here. And, gravel would be an
insane
idea
in huge parking lots where snow needs to be plowed for 4-5 months per
year.

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of
the
year. We
also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

Limestone gravel will reflect heat better than black asphalt, I would
think.

Yeah well anyway...gravel ends up getting shoved into the same end of
the
parking lot where the snow goes, leaving bare ground and mud. Then, it
needs
to be redistributed in the spring. It also provides an endless supply of
rocks to be thrown by vandals.

The operator raises the blade of the plow so as not to scrape the gravel.
It's
not like plowing pavement where the blade must ride on the surface. A
half inch
or so of snow on gravel makes little difference to the traction.

The blade NEVER rides on the pavement. If it did, it would chew it to
hell. It rides on what are commonly called the shoes. But, when the
snow gets packed and packed, and thaws, then freezes, the gravel does
get picked up and moved.

Are the vandals in your community prevented from vandalizing by paved
lots?

Damn, you really should work on your comprehension. That question was
just plain stupid.

John's in the mood to toy with people this afternoon. Too much Kahlua.

Ron M. wrote:
"Global warming" is the biggest hoax in the history of the world.

Ron M.

Your a good little goose stepper! Now, bow to Heir Bush.

Bill McKee wrote:

Faster than ever before. You been here for 1,000,000 years?

What an idiot, as usual. Why would *I* need to be here for a million
years to know that global warming is occuring faster than ever before?
I take it you don't realize that there have been core samples of earth
and ice deposits over most of the world that backs this up?

20 miles of
Glacier Bay melted in about 1860. Not come back. Who did the CFC thing?

Local conditions vary. Anomolies occur. Too bad you aren't bright
enough to realize that.

John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:22:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:53:48 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

Yeah well anyway...gravel ends up getting shoved into the same end of
the
parking lot where the snow goes, leaving bare ground and mud. Then, it
needs
to be redistributed in the spring. It also provides an endless supply of
rocks to be thrown by vandals.

The operator raises the blade of the plow so as not to scrape the
gravel.
It's
not like plowing pavement where the blade must ride on the surface. A
half
inch
or so of snow on gravel makes little difference to the traction.

Are the vandals in your community prevented from vandalizing by paved
lots?

At any point in the past, have you made any observations of how kids
behave?

Absolutely!

Right. So you know that even a relatively OK kid, when presented with a
sudden richness of rocks, will pick on up and throw it, even if he knows
he'll catch hell when it breaks something.

Any kid who wants to throw something will find many things to throw. So we're
going to let the earth melt 'cause some kid wants to throw rocks?

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
John H.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:24:05 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:27:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

No. I don't touch the stuff.

I've gotten a lot of yard work done, though. Now I don't have to mess with
leaves until tomorrow. Yippee.

Tell Kevin to go find some more ridiculous posts to put up. I don't want to feed
what little bit is left of his ego.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

Bill McKee

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:51:10 GMT, "Bill McKee"

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

Here is a site that shows average annual temps various places in the
world.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/station_data/

Pick out an area and see what the average annual temps have been. Note
that the
temps of high population areas rises at a higher rate than does that
for
urban
areas. In most places that I looked, if the area was urban, and the
data
went
back a 100 years or so, there was very little change.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary
resolve it."
Rene Descartes

There are hypothesis that the Urban areas are measured incorrectly. Most
readings are from ground based thermometers, and over the years the areas
around the thermometers have been built up a lot. And the extra
buildings
add an error to the reading. Spaced based readings have not changed much
over the years. Lots less than the ground based readings.

Yes, the temp rise in urban areas would seem to be related to the
quantity of
concrete in urban areas. This would indicate that a return to wooden
buildings
with straw roofs would be in order. Asphalt and concrete roads also
retain heat
much better than dirt roads, so we should go back to dirt roads.

You're such a visionary. How about requiring that companies use existing
empty commercial real estate, rather than mowing down green space until
there's nothing left but a few weeds poking out of the cracks?

Why does a company move to a new area and build a new building? Because
they want to spend lots of bucks? Because of the city tax laws? Because
there are no qualified workers in the old area? Because of crime in the
older areas? Why?

Bill McKee

"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:58:54 -0500, thunder
wrote:

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of the
year. We also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

You had to mention snow? I just looked out and saw my first flakes of the
season. ;-(

I look out and see three inches of leaves covering the lawn I just cleared
yesterday.

I'd rather see snow.

Then I could practice writing my name.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to
resolve it."
Rene Descartes

Make sure it is a non caustic glow stick.

Bill McKee

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:08:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
John H. wrote:

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota. We had snow for several months of
the
year. We
also had gravel roads. Believe it or not, they got snow-plowed!

Limestone gravel will reflect heat better than black asphalt, I would
think.

All kinds of gravel roads get plowed here.
If they didn't, a lot of people would be isolated.

Yeah, but that's not the same as a huge parking lot outside a major
grocery
store. People get real twitchy when food stores are dirty. Imagine what a
store would look like on one of those winter days when the sun melts just
the surface for a few hours. If it were a dirt parking lot, it would be
mud
for just long enough to the floors in the store to look like a barn.

Not dirt, Doug, gravel.

Then just move the store into an older commercial building with the parking
lot already paved.
Besides, if we're protecting the earth from meltdown, what's a little
dirt on
the floor. That's why God made straw for brooms!

Gravel would be a great thing for shopping carts, Garp.