Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
jabadoodle

Default Question about replacement gas tank.

Hi everyone.

(To skip my long windedness you can jump directly to the
four numbered questions at the bottom. Thanks!)

We have, as some of you may recall, a 1958 Chris Craft
that we've restored and been using. This year we have taken
the engine out to have it rebuilt. Good thing we did. The exhaust
manifold was about rusted through and the inside of the engine
is also all rusted through such that the water jacket passages
were not cooling her properly. (Though the temperature
gauge was getting plenty of cooling, so it looked ok by
the gauge.)

Anyway - aside from the engine, we are thinking of replacing
the fuel tank this year. The tank is steel and is rusting inside. We
see the rust in our fuel filter. Quite a lot of it. ~ I don't mind
changing the filter from time to time, but don't want a gas tank
leak.

So -- the current tank is a cylinder shape. Approx 50 gallons
with INSIDE dimensions of about 15.75" diameter and
57.5" long. (Outside is a little bigger with the thickness of the
steel and on each end there is a "lip" overhanging.)

As a first step I called the company RDS that does custom
tanks for West Marine. They said they "won't" make cylindrical
tanks. ~ The man I spoke with was not sure if that's only because
they don't have the equipment/ability to make cylindrical tanks
or if it's some safety issue.

So, four questions:

#1: Is there any reason to avoid a cylindrical tank as a replacement?

#2: Anyone know who much make such a tank?

#3: We're thinking replace the steel tank with aluminum to cut down
on weight. Any reason NOT to do that?

#4: If we can't find someone to build the tank we want is there any
process or coating that can be done to salvage our current tank?
(Current tank is rusting inside, but not leaking)

Thanks,
Gary