Don White

Default Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...

Black Dog wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Which DVD player did you get? I've got a couple of cheap SONY
progressive players and one that wasn't that much more, and they all
seem to play DVDs about the same.

The new HDMI is a Sony DVP-NS70H. It's not expensive - I think I paid
about $150 for it. It's supposed to upscale the native resolution of
a DVD to 720p and 1080i. Seems to work, but like anything else the
rule of diminishing returns applies.

I just like fooling around with this stuff.

Eisboch

I am going through the conversion to HDTV at the moment. And I do mean
"conversion" in an almost religious sense. Can hardly stand to watch
regular TV now. I almost watched a hockey game just because it was so
amazing to see the ice shavings on the surface of the rink. Cannot take
my eyes off Discovery HD.

The hubby was the one who decided we "needed" an hdtv but I am the
"techie" one who is expected to understand the confusion of hookups.

We got an sweet Hitachi 42" HD plasma before Christmas but cable boy
couldn't come around and give us hi-def TV until Jan.3. In the meantime
I went through our several old DVD players, using s-vidio and componant
video but none of them had the right combination of progressive scan and
fibreoptic audio output. So we bought yet another DVD player(Hitachi, I
think, can't remember but it pretty and has a nice blue light that comes
on when you load the disk) with not only progressive scan but HDMI
output. A three foot HDMI cable came with the player but I traded up for
a 6" cable for $65 which the sales guy told me was $5 over cost.

HDMI blows them all away. I am a convert. And the HDMI carries the
audio signal into the TV which has fibreoptic connection out to the
stereo reciever so it sounds sweet too.

I was going to try to hook the PVR up with HDMI or Firewire instead of
componant video but according to Motorola's manual for my PVR I would
then lose access to the IGuide (the onscreen TV guide that makes setting
up to record stuff so easy the hubby may even learn to do it himself).

Still working on the system but just wanted to add my now slightly
experienced voice to fray - HDMI is worth paying a few bucks for.

Stella
(22' Sirius sailboat under a tarp in the driveway)

Where do you sail that Sirius Stella?
Black Dog

Don White wrote:
Black Dog wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

[...]

In the summer she sits at Tony's Marina on lovely Lake Wanapitei (near
Sudbury, ON) which is just a few miles from our house. We have talked
many times about trailing her down to Spanish or Little Current and
putting her in the "big water" (Lake Huron) but haven't had the
time/inclination yet.

Stella