Don White

Default Trailer Tire Air

Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.
FishWisher

Are you guys dealing with enough real life issues?

Let me remind you, Harry, that Bush is in the White House for his
second term. The unions are in decline. The economy is doing fine (no
matter the usual left wing news coverage) and a (likely) conservative
is on deck for the Supreme Court. And so it goes.

....and you're worried about the air in the boat trailer tires?

Oh, also be sure to vacuum under the boat seats before you head out. It
can get dusty there...

Dale
www.FishWisher.com

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use strictly
my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live in an
infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.

That's impossible, but it attracts customers like flies to a pile of dog
****.

Eisboch

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.

That's impossible, but it attracts customers like flies to a pile of dog
****.

Let's open up a franchise filling trailer and car tires with helium. Makes
'em lighter, easier to tow and gets better gas mileage.

Eisboch

JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.

You're kidding, right?

Nope. Some shops around here use it also for the same reasons Don stated.

JimH

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.

You're kidding, right?

Nitrogen?

I am not a chemist but here are some explanations. Even some leading tire
manufacturers now recommend nitrogen vs. air.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Here are a few other benefits of using Nitrogen in tires:

[1] Nitrogen is denser than Oxygen: This means the larger molecules escape
less easily from tires resulting in a more gradual loss of pressure over
time. According to the Michelin Tire Manual, a tire that is inflated with
Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower than if it were inflated with
air.

[2] Nitrogen is moisture free: Pure Nitrogen inflated tires experience less
steel belt and rubber degradation. Nitrogen use also reduces valve and wheel
corrosion.

[3] Nitrogen provides longer tire life: Nitrogen inflated tire run cooler
and require less maintenance according to the Goodyear application bulletin.

http://tinyurl.com/8t2ry

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Another opinion:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I used to use nitrogen to fill my race car tires because it was the cheapest
bottled gas I could buy in big cylinders at the welding shop. Twenty bucks'
worth of nitrogen would fill enough tires for a whole weekend of endurance
racing, and also would run the air wrenches that I used to change the tires.

Remember, air is about 80 percent nitrogen to start with--so the difference
is not profound. The balance of the volume of air is mostly oxygen, which is
bad for your tires. Oxygen promotes breakdown of the rubber, so your tires
should last longer with pure nitrogen. Furthermore, nitrogen molecules
migrate through rubber more slowly than oxygen, so your tires should lose
pressure more slowly. (I'm assuming you check your tire pressures on a
regular schedule.)

Another, perhaps more important, advantage to nitrogen is that the nitrogen
delivered from a welding cylinder or nitrogen generator is desiccated and
clean. Moisture inside a tire is bad because it causes pressure fluctuations
and corrodes rims. And, I've seen lots of water come out of service-station
air pumps. I generally will check the line for moisture before I use it by
depressing the inflater pin with my thumbnail. If my thumb gets wet, I try
to purge the line for a few seconds. There's also the potential for the
compressor to force lubricating oil and garbage from the inside of the tank
into the tire. Oil will further accelerate breakdown of the rubber, and dirt
can be trapped in the valve core, starting a leak. Worse, some shops use
automatic oilers to lubricate their air tools, adding even more oily mist to
the mix.

To properly use nitrogen in your tires, all of the air has to be purged,
generally by the time-honored tradition of alternately filling and venting
the tire. Unless the tire is broken off the rim, cleaned of moisture and
debris, and remounted with a waterfree rim lubricant before purging with
nitrogen, you'll miss most of the benefits.

Bottom line: I'd fill new tires with nitrogen if the tire shop will do it
for free or at least at a discount. Most will. But just cruising in and
topping off from a nitrogen hose for 20 bucks? Save your money.

http://tinyurl.com/ca4w9

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eisboch

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.

You're kidding, right?

Nope. Some shops around here use it also for the same reasons Don stated.

You know what? There might be some truth to the claim, although the
nitrogen is not the secret, it's just cheap. I suspect the secret is using
a dry gas as opposed to normal compressed air that also contains a high
amount of water vapor. Water vapor does not behave like a gas and is far
more subject to temperature changes versus pressure. I'd have to go back
and revisit some physics books to be sure, but something in the back of my
head tells me this is a viable claim.

Eisboch

Doug Kanter

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
[...]

Except for my current tires, which are having special problems due to issues
with the wheels, ***AND*** barring extreme temperature changes, I've never
had tires lose more than 2-3 lbs every 4-6 weeks. Since tires should be
checked anyway more often than that, what's the point of nitrogen? Are
people supposed to leave a mechanic they've trusted for 20 years because he
doesn't have nitrogen???

[2] Nitrogen is moisture free: Pure Nitrogen inflated tires experience
less steel belt and rubber degradation. Nitrogen use also reduces valve
and wheel corrosion.

I wonder if nitrogen slows down the wear on the outside of the tire. I mean,
when's the last time you had to buy new tires because they were worn out on
the inside?

[3] Nitrogen provides longer tire life: Nitrogen inflated tire run cooler
and require less maintenance according to the Goodyear application
bulletin.

Maintenance? WTF?

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that
live in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if
that gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature
climbs or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.

You're kidding, right?

Nitrogen?

First I've heard of that.

If they used helium, and you took your tires underwater, would they
squeal in a Mickey Mouse voice?

When the gas was first used at our Costco, they were all excited about
it. Said it was used in race car tires. They even gave me four litle
green valve cover caps to show I was updated.
http://www.airliquide.com/en/medias/...es_filling.pdf
http://www.tirelast.com/id15.html
Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

It *is* used in race car tires. But, if you had a mechanic you'd trusted for
years, you'd have to be out of your mind to switch to Costco just because
they gave you free nitrogen. :-)

Trailer Tire Air Eisboch General 4 December 29th 05 05:35 PM
boat trailer question, pics of trailer, opinions? [email protected] General 0 December 12th 05 03:08 PM
boat trailer question, pics of trailer, opinions? Bill McKee General 0 December 12th 05 03:26 AM
Venture boat trailer question Don White General 0 November 23rd 05 02:36 PM
Submerge the Trailer When We Launch a Boat? [email protected] General 41 November 14th 05 01:51 AM