Doug Kanter

Default Trailer Tire Air

" JimH" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
When filling the tires on my boat trailer with fresh air, should I be
checking to see what sort of compressor the service station uses?

Or should I avoid service station compressors altogether and use
strictly my own air compressor in order to avoid the nasties that live
in an infrequently cleaned service station compressor?

And if I use a service station compressor, should I feed its product
through a special filter?

the local Costco now uses Nitrogen to fill auto tires. I wonder if that
gas would also be better for boat trailer tires,
promised advantages...
tires stay at desired air pressure reguardless if the temperature climbs
or drops.
no moisture to rust your rims.

You're kidding, right?

Nitrogen?

I am not a chemist but here are some explanations. Even some leading tire
manufacturers now recommend nitrogen vs. air.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Here are a few other benefits of using Nitrogen in tires:

[1] Nitrogen is denser than Oxygen: This means the larger molecules escape
less easily from tires resulting in a more gradual loss of pressure over
time. According to the Michelin Tire Manual, a tire that is inflated with
Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower than if it were inflated with
air.

Except for my current tires, which are having special problems due to issues
with the wheels, ***AND*** barring extreme temperature changes, I've never
had tires lose more than 2-3 lbs every 4-6 weeks. Since tires should be
checked anyway more often than that, what's the point of nitrogen? Are
people supposed to leave a mechanic they've trusted for 20 years because he
doesn't have nitrogen???

[2] Nitrogen is moisture free: Pure Nitrogen inflated tires experience
less steel belt and rubber degradation. Nitrogen use also reduces valve
and wheel corrosion.

I wonder if nitrogen slows down the wear on the outside of the tire. I mean,
when's the last time you had to buy new tires because they were worn out on
the inside?

[3] Nitrogen provides longer tire life: Nitrogen inflated tire run cooler
and require less maintenance according to the Goodyear application
bulletin.

Maintenance? WTF?