John H.

Default Happy Thanksgiving!

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:10:18 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

John H. wrote:

Thanks Mike. I made two turkeys. One on the smoker, and one on the
rotisserie on the Weber. Both were great, but the one on the smoker got the
best reviews. I overcooked the rotisserie bird a little because some guests
were about an hour late.

John,

Smoked turkey is one of the best. I'd love to get my hands on a
pheasant to try. What wood did you choose for your smoke? For a
turkey, I like a 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry.

I did the deep fry this year to save time. Still very good.

On Topic (maybe) - I also frequently smoke kingfish and dolphin. It's
great to eat warm, cold, or mixed with some cream cheese and spices in a
fish dip.

Dan

We had to cut down a hickory a couple years ago, and it is slowly getting
used in the smoker. I also like mesquite, but now that I've got all the
hickory, I don't buy anything else.

In Germany I'd get apple wood when the Germans pruned their apple trees.
Apple makes a great wood for a turkey.

I've smoke salmon many times, but never any of the other fish you
mentioned. The salmon takes only about an hour on the smoker, and we love
it!
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
John H.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:50:22 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:21:33 -0500, (N.L. Eckert) wrote:

John H. wrote:
It's now about 5:25, the turkey just got put on the smoker, and I'm
going back to bed!
Hope your Thanksgiving is very special!
John H
==================================
And the same to you , John. Winter has come early to Michigan. 3" of
snow and 19* as of 9 AM. OH MY! I'm not ready for this!!

-------
Norm

We had our first dusting last night! This morning there was still some
snow
on the deck, which made carrying the bird out to the smoker in bare feet a
miserable experience!
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

Glad to hear (via your other posts) that you had a good TGiving John.
Weather here this morning (actually last night) was pretty bad with high
winds, blowing snow and icy interstates. We must have passed about a dozen
cars and one tractor trailer (flipped over) in the median.

The first snowfall of the year is always the worst.............having it
happen on Turkey day made it especially bad as *all* the a-hole drivers were
out.

We made it to my sisters without a problem and had a wonderful day with the
family.....and a terrific feast. ;-)

Thanks. Glad to hear yours was good also.

One nice thing about being the Opa is that the kids get to do the driving!
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
Sir Rodney Smithers

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...

On Topic (maybe) - I also frequently smoke kingfish and dolphin. It's
great to eat warm, cold, or mixed with some cream cheese and spices in a
fish dip.

Dan,
That is sick, I can't believe you would eat Flipper.

ps - I know it was the fish Dolphin and not the mammal dolphin, but I
couldn't help myself. ; )

Sir Rodney Smithers

JohnH,
What kind of Smoker do you use. I had one similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627799

and it was such a pain to clean up, I finally stopped using it.

If I had extra space on the porch, and still eat meat often, I would like a
smoker that didn't require the clean up after each use. Similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455628877

I loved the taste of chicken and fished smoked.

wrote:

[...]

Dan Krueger

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...

On Topic (maybe) - I also frequently smoke kingfish and dolphin. It's
great to eat warm, cold, or mixed with some cream cheese and spices in a
fish dip.

Dan,
That is sick, I can't believe you would eat Flipper.

ps - I know it was the fish Dolphin and not the mammal dolphin, but I
couldn't help myself. ; )

No, it was a Bottlenose dolphin. I just happen to have a HUGE smoker.
The dorsal fin was sold to a local shop that makes beautiful handbags.

Dan

ps - I also couldn't help it.
Dan Krueger

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

JohnH,
What kind of Smoker do you use. I had one similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627799

and it was such a pain to clean up, I finally stopped using it.

If I had extra space on the porch, and still eat meat often, I would like a
smoker that didn't require the clean up after each use. Similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455628877

I loved the taste of chicken and fished smoked.

Do yourself a favor and get a "WSM". Same footprint as you electric.
Here's a like for one of the better prices on the net...

http://tinyurl.com/afpro

Then you go to...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Enjoy!

Dan
John H.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:06:26 -0500, "Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me about my
knighthood. wrote:

JohnH,
What kind of Smoker do you use. I had one similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627799

and it was such a pain to clean up, I finally stopped using it.

If I had extra space on the porch, and still eat meat often, I would like a
smoker that didn't require the clean up after each use. Similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455628877

I loved the taste of chicken and fished smoked.

I have a Brinkman I've had for about 15 years now. The only cleaning it
gets is the grill and the water pan.

I would love to have one of the Texas smoker types also, mainly for beef
brisket and pork shoulders (whole). Pork shoulders come out well on the
Weber, but I've not been able to get a brisket to do well on the Weber or
the smoker.
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Self-obsessed Hypocrite
John H.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:17:37 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

JohnH,
What kind of Smoker do you use. I had one similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627799

and it was such a pain to clean up, I finally stopped using it.

If I had extra space on the porch, and still eat meat often, I would like a
smoker that didn't require the clean up after each use. Similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455628877

I loved the taste of chicken and fished smoked.

Do yourself a favor and get a "WSM". Same footprint as you electric.
Here's a like for one of the better prices on the net...

http://tinyurl.com/afpro

Then you go to...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Enjoy!

Dan

Charcoal smokers are a pain in the ass. The charcoal must be replaced about
every 3 hours or so, and doing so is a lot of work. The electric unit in
the bottom of the Brinkman makes the job much easier, and provides an even
heat source. I know my turkey will take 40 min per lb. With charcoal, it's
a guessing game.

wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

[...]

For starters, you don't use conventional charcoal. You use lump
charcoal - the real thing. The right stuff will last for 6-8 hours
without any intervention.

Dry wood chips added early in the process smoke the meat.

As for the guessing game, a remote thermometer will show you your smoker
temp as well as your meat. You can set alarms to warn you if it's too
cold or when the meat is done. Good smokers like the WSM, Kamados ($$),
etc. will hold their temperature very well for a long period of time.

The OP (Smithers?) was looking at an offset smoker. They aren't
available in any electric form that I have seen.

Once you try a lump charcoal smoker (in any configuration) you won't go
back!

Dan

OT A BushCo Conservative Thanksgiving [email protected] General 21 November 26th 05 12:38 AM
OT--A very happy Thanksgiving for the President NOYB General 2 November 25th 05 08:17 AM
Happy Thanksgiving rgnmstr ASA 2 November 24th 05 02:19 AM
Ping: Dr. Happy Tooth Eisboch General 3 November 15th 05 06:28 AM
OT, Happy Camper ed General 9 October 17th 05 05:14 PM