*JimH*

Default Happy Thanksgiving!

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...
Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...

On Topic (maybe) - I also frequently smoke kingfish and dolphin. It's
great to eat warm, cold, or mixed with some cream cheese and spices in a
fish dip.

Dan,
That is sick, I can't believe you would eat Flipper.

ps - I know it was the fish Dolphin and not the mammal dolphin, but I
couldn't help myself. ; )

No, it was a Bottlenose dolphin. I just happen to have a HUGE smoker. The
dorsal fin was sold to a local shop that makes beautiful handbags.

Dan

Yeah, sure Dan. You are a very, very bad man. (Seinfeld)

http://tinyurl.com/27zyv

insert smiley face

Dan Krueger

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
link.net...

On Topic (maybe) - I also frequently smoke kingfish and dolphin. It's
great to eat warm, cold, or mixed with some cream cheese and spices in a
fish dip.

Dan,
That is sick, I can't believe you would eat Flipper.

ps - I know it was the fish Dolphin and not the mammal dolphin, but I
couldn't help myself. ; )

No, it was a Bottlenose dolphin. I just happen to have a HUGE smoker. The
dorsal fin was sold to a local shop that makes beautiful handbags.

Dan

Yeah, sure Dan. You are a very, very bad man. (Seinfeld)

http://tinyurl.com/27zyv

insert smiley face

LOL! Very nice!

Dan
John H.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:57:28 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

John H. wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:17:37 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

JohnH,
What kind of Smoker do you use. I had one similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455627799

and it was such a pain to clean up, I finally stopped using it.

If I had extra space on the porch, and still eat meat often, I would like a
smoker that didn't require the clean up after each use. Similar to this:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/morei...t_ID=455628877

I loved the taste of chicken and fished smoked.

Do yourself a favor and get a "WSM". Same footprint as you electric.
Here's a like for one of the better prices on the net...

http://tinyurl.com/afpro

Then you go to...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Enjoy!

Dan

Charcoal smokers are a pain in the ass. The charcoal must be replaced about
every 3 hours or so, and doing so is a lot of work. The electric unit in
the bottom of the Brinkman makes the job much easier, and provides an even
heat source. I know my turkey will take 40 min per lb. With charcoal, it's
a guessing game.

John,

For starters, you don't use conventional charcoal. You use lump
charcoal - the real thing. The right stuff will last for 6-8 hours
without any intervention.

Dry wood chips added early in the process smoke the meat.

As for the guessing game, a remote thermometer will show you your smoker
temp as well as your meat. You can set alarms to warn you if it's too
cold or when the meat is done. Good smokers like the WSM, Kamados ($$),
etc. will hold their temperature very well for a long period of time.

The OP (Smithers?) was looking at an offset smoker. They aren't
available in any electric form that I have seen.

Once you try a lump charcoal smoker (in any configuration) you won't go
back!

Dan

Now you may have a point there. I've never used lump charcoal for something
like that. What's a remote thermometer? That's something else I've never
heard of. I didn't see a thermometer on the Weber smoker, although there is
one on my Weber grill.

Coincidentally, my brother out in Seattle just bought a new grill/smoker
called a Big Green Egg. http://www.biggreenegg.com/ Expensive as hell, but
he thinks he'll get great results from it.

BTW, I looked up Kamado only to find the the BGE has a close relationship
with same. http://www.biggreenegg.com/history.htm

Have you used one of these? Should I invest in one of those or a new Nikon
D200?

--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Self-obsessed Hypocrite
Sir Rodney Smithers

JohnH,

I used to eat meat, mostly chicken and fish, with every meal. Today, I eat
substantially less meat, so I don't think I would buy a smoker, even though
I love the taste of a smoked meat. My brother had the indirect smoker, and
it cooked at a very low temp. You controlled the heat with vents in the
charcoal chamber. There was a temp. gauge for the food chamber, and he used
an remote temp. probe to keep up with the internal temp. of the meat.

Since I didn't have a smoker, I tried a new recipe for cooking Turkey in a
oven. It was by far the best Turkey I have had. The white meat was moist
as can be. I purchased a fresh turkey, without the flavor solution (or self
basting solution) injected into the bird. For the first time ever, I did
not use stuffing (according to Alton Brown, the slower cooking time dries
out the white meat). I placed fresh herbs and onions inside the bird to use
aromatics to improve the taste of the meat. I used a broiler pan (flat
with no sides) instead of a roasting pan. The roasting pan high sides,
diverts the hottest air from the dark meat where it is needed, and directs
it towards the white meat, causing the white meat to dry out. Since it
would not be basted at all, I used olive oil to coat the skin, then applied
a poultry rub to the skin. I preheated the oven to 500 degrees, and cooked
the Turkey at 500 degrees for 30 min. This seared the outside of the bird,
to keep the juices inside the bird. I then lowered the temp. to 350
degrees, covered the bird with aluminum foil, and cooked for approximately 2
1/2 to 3 hrs. I had an internal temp probe similar to this one (
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...845067-0161568)
so I could watch the temp of the turkey breast without opening the oven
door.

At 161 degrees (not at 160 or 162 degrees), I took the Turkey out of the
oven, covered it with aluminum foil and let it rest for 30 min. This was
the best bird ever, outside of a perfectly smoked turkey. ; )

This recipe is adapted from my favorite food scientist, Alton Brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

[...]

P. Fritz

My favorite recipe is similar.......it uses apples and pears along with
onions and fresh herbs in the body cavity......and I baste it with masala
wine during the roasting.

wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

[...]

($$),
[...]

Paul,
Do you start off cooking the bird at 500 degrees? If not give it a try. I
had always heard a low temp was the key to a moist bird, they were wrong.

wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

[...]

Here's the link for the remote thermometer I own:

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/th...mote_therm.htm

The BGE's and Kamado's are very nice. Since is doesn't get very cold
here, I am happy with my Weber Smokey Mountain that cost $169.00 or so.

Here's the lump charcoal I have been using lately. 8 hours at a
constant 250º is not out of the question and the results are excellent!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag54.htm

Get the WSM and the D200!

Dan
John H.

wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:

[...]

Cool! Thanks. I bought the D200 today.I'm hoping it'll get here before
Christmas.
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Self-obsessed Hypocrite

OT A BushCo Conservative Thanksgiving [email protected] General 21 November 25th 05 11:38 PM
OT--A very happy Thanksgiving for the President NOYB General 2 November 25th 05 07:17 AM
Happy Thanksgiving rgnmstr ASA 2 November 24th 05 01:19 AM
Ping: Dr. Happy Tooth Eisboch General 3 November 15th 05 05:28 AM
OT, Happy Camper ed General 9 October 17th 05 05:14 PM