Eisboch

Default Yo!! Happy Tooth

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...

You are correct. Seas were running exactly that during the last 25 miles
of my trip from Tampa this evening. I was heading SE and the wind was
blowing 20 knots from the ENE. It made for a nasty quartering sea. The
new boat managed 20-22mph through it, with a fine mist on the transom
seat...and rarely some spray on the side curtains. It was especially fun
in the dark...as I got a late start leaving the marina.

Well, congrats on the new Grady. Nice boat, for sure.

Eisboch

John H.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:36:09 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:55:48 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

The
33' especially demonstrated to me that a pair of outboards can offer
more than a pair of diesels.
==========================
The advantage of the diesels is not speed, it is range, fuel economy
and longevity.

There's a pretty good article in one the major magazines (or perhaps it
was Powerboat Reports?) that compared the diesel Glacier bay against a
Suzuki-powered Glacier Bay. They made the point that they're not
convinced that the diesels will have a distinct longevity advantage over
the outboards. I'm pretty sure that overall, they preferred the
outboards in the shootout...but I'll have to go back in the archives and
check.

In my opinion, it really depends on how, why and where you do your
boating. Long range cruising is ideal for diesels whereas a weekend blast
in the bay is a lot of fun with big outboards. In any case, very few
ocean boaters that I know run anywhere near their boat's top speed unless
the ocean lays down flat calm which is rare.

30+ kts in a thirty something foot boat in 4-5 footers is not my idea of
fun regardless of the make of the boat.

You are correct. Seas were running exactly that during the last 25 miles of
my trip from Tampa this evening. I was heading SE and the wind was blowing
20 knots from the ENE. It made for a nasty quartering sea. The new boat
managed 20-22mph through it, with a fine mist on the transom seat...and
rarely some spray on the side curtains. It was especially fun in the
dark...as I got a late start leaving the marina.

Glad to hear you got it home safely!

--
John H.

Yo!! Thunder... *JimH* General 25 November 17th 05 12:18 AM
Yo!! Thunder... thunder General 0 November 16th 05 12:36 PM