Sir Rodney Smithers

Default Yo!! Happy Tooth

NYOB,

I just finished gutting and redoing two bathrooms and the kitchen. If you
think you can get away with just writing the check, you are sadly mistaken.
; )

You now will have to listen to all the wonderful options in tile, granite,
cabinet woods, refrigerators, stoves, water filters, soap dispensers,
faucets and wallpaper. You might as well forget about fishing till the
kitchen is finished. ; ) Some wives like to just show their husbands what
they picked out. My wife insisted I come with her and be involved in the
decision making process. That means I stand there and she tells me how
terrible my choice is, and why her choice really is much better. Next, I
had to supervise the General Contractor to make sure the project is finished
before Armageddon.

If I were you, I would price the Whaler at 3 times market value, and let it
sit there an rot. ; )

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Forget that Grady.

This is what you want:

http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boa...l.jsp?boatid=4
Not enough bunks for the kids.

But I like Parkers.

Aha! Kids! No wonder you want a Grady. Creature comforts.
I like Gradys myself. Our Parker dealer is, I believe, also the largest
Grady dealer in the Bay area.

Yes. 3 kids. Ages 6, 4, and 2 1/2.

I needed something with an A/C, generator, and higher gunwales.

In fact, he's got a lightly used 30' Marlin available:

http://www.tristatemarine.com/Used-B...rady_white.htm

And another:

http://www.tristatemarine.com/Used-B..._white300m.htm

The first boat is too much money for my budget. They have the twin to
that boat at FishTale Marina in Ft. Myers Beach for the same exact
price.

The second boat looks just like the one that I'm buying. The ad that
you posted doesn't list the year, or whether it has a generator,
outriggers, radar, or autopilot...all of which are on the 2001 that I'm
buying. Of course, I'm paying about $5k more than that asking
price...so I guess it's a wash (assuming that the one you listed is also
a 2001). If that one is a 2001 or newer, it's a very good buy...because
it appears to be in excellent shape. The one that I'm purchasing hasn't
been bottom painted, and has been stored high and dry since new. It's
also within range of here, without having to pay someone $2/mile to ship
it from Maryland.

I just heard from the surveyor about 1 hour ago. There's greening on
the through-hulls and seacocks (minor corrosion...nothing major), and
some minor dings and scratches in the rubrail and sides of the boat.
Everything works, and there's no sign of water intrusion, or moisture in
the hull. The engine compression tested well within the 10% variation
across all cylinders

All of the electronics work. He didn't test the generator because I
told him that I already knew that it didn't work. But the seller agreed
to fix or replace it.

I'll be departing Tampa tomorrow morning if seas permit. Otherwise,
I'll handle the paperwork tomorrow and bring it back on Sunday...or the
Friday after Thanksgiving.

I was up at 4:30am this morning. I don't know if it was last night's
meal of a spicy corn/crab chowder, mahi with shrimp and scallops in a
lemon butter caper sauce, and a couple of Oktoberfest Sam Adam's...or if
it was excitement over this boat...but I had horrible hearturn this
morning. ;-)

Good luck. Are you selling your whaler or building a flotilla?

I'm going to sell the bigger Whaler...and keep the 17' Outrage.

Actually, I told my wife that she could redo the kitchen as soon as the
Whaler sells...so she's been telling anybody who will listen that it's for
sale. She has me sending out 4 emails next week to people who already
expressed to her that they might be interested in it.

With the incentive that I offered her, while I'm fishing on the new boat,
she'll be working hard to sell the old one. I have my own live-in
broker...but this broker charges a 110% commission.

Sir Rodney Smithers

NOYB,
No fisherman would ever be happy with the Sea Ray, it is definitely a
weekender cruising boat, for someone who might like to get a line wet
occasionally. Let us know if you wife actually spends many nights about the
boat.

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:36:39 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

NOYB wrote:
[...]

I second the congratulations on the new boat and wish you all the
success in the
world with it!

Parkers are nice, for fishing, but they are most definitely *not* a
family boat.
The Grady's are nicely outfitted for family getaways *and* for
fishing.

Have a good one.

Depends on the family. My Parker has comfy bunks for two adults or three
small kids, with thick, well-made cushions, a flush toilet, a freshwater
sink, a refrigerator and a store. It's got more room in the cabin than
the same-sized Grady, but there is no question the Grady is more plush.

How often would you let just the three pre-teens take the boat out for a
weekend? Or, how often would you leave the pre-teens in a tent on the
beach
while you and your bride occupied the thick-cushioned, comfy bunks?
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

When our kids were younger we found times when they would nap in the vee
bunk or aft cabin while my wife and I cruised or relaxed on the boat.

For 2 adults I would think that the vee bunk set up in a 25 foot fishing
boat would be clumsy and uncomfortable for an overnight stay. It
certainly would not accommodate a family with children for overnight
stays on the boat.

IMO you cannot have the best of both worlds with a 25~27 foot
boat..........it is either good for fishing or cruising/overnighting.

It is only until you get into bigger boats, such as the Grady w/aft cabin
NOYB is purchasing, that you can come close to meeting both needs.

I've been searching long and hard for a Grady 33 Express that would fit my
budget. I had given up, figuring I'd wait another couple of years before
getting the 33. But when I went to the Ft. Myers boat show, and took a
look at the Marlin 30, I realized that it would certainly fit my needs
almost as well as the 33.

For a week or so, I was actually considering a Sea Ray Amberjack 290...but
after some thought, I realized that it was geared too much towards
cruising, and too little towards fishing. This is the one area in which
Harry and I agree on. The Sea Ray is a "bubble boat"...and looks too much
like every other boat out on the water.

Sir Rodney Smithers

JohnH,

In most states it would be illegal to let preteens take out the boat for a
weekend. When I a was a kid, it was fairly common to let a 12 yr old to
take the boat out. Today more states are getting wiser and are setting
minimum age requirements for boaters (16yr old), and insisting teens and in
some states adults pass a Boater Educational Course. The offer the courses
online, and they are far from perfect, but it is a start in the right
direction.

Today, I see substantially few idiots on the water than I did 10 yrs ago,
and the accident statistics continue to show improvements.

NOYB wrote:
[...]

JimH,
I have to agree the boat has probably been well maintained, definitely has
low hours on the engine. Even if Harry is really going to sell it at the
high end of market value, it would be one a deal. I have always liked the
lines of a Parker, and it seems like it is well suited for fishing on the
bay.

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message

NOYB wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't let "pre-teens" take out any boat the size of my Parker or
NOYB's present Whaler.

Glad to hear it.

That's why NOYB is going for a boat which will comfortable handle two
adults
*and* three kids.

I'd take a Parker in a minute, but not as a *family* boat.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

Why not make Harry an offer for it? He said it was "unofficially" up for
sale and it sounds like it was very well maintained.

Life it too short. Enjoy it.

John H.

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:20:23 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

Why not make Harry an offer for it? He said it was "unofficially" up for
sale and it sounds like it was very well maintained.

Life it too short. Enjoy it.

I can't rationalize a need for a new boat. The one I've got is well suited to
the Bay, although another 4' would be nice.

Every year I go through the 'new boat' thought process, realizing that as time
goes by, my Proline will be more and more difficult to resell. But then I
consider the repower option, and it's much cheaper than buying a new boat.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

John H.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:40:39 -0500, "Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me about my
knighthood. wrote:

JohnH,

In most states it would be illegal to let preteens take out the boat for a
weekend. When I a was a kid, it was fairly common to let a 12 yr old to
take the boat out. Today more states are getting wiser and are setting
minimum age requirements for boaters (16yr old), and insisting teens and in
some states adults pass a Boater Educational Course. The offer the courses
online, and they are far from perfect, but it is a start in the right
direction.

Today, I see substantially few idiots on the water than I did 10 yrs ago,
and the accident statistics continue to show improvements.

I know, I know. The comment was directed at Harry's comment that his boat could
comfortably sleep three kids *or* two adults.

knighthood. wrote:

JohnH,

In most states it would be illegal to let preteens take out the boat for a
weekend. When I a was a kid, it was fairly common to let a 12 yr old to
take the boat out. Today more states are getting wiser and are setting
minimum age requirements for boaters (16yr old), and insisting teens and in
some states adults pass a Boater Educational Course. The offer the courses
online, and they are far from perfect, but it is a start in the right
direction.

Today, I see substantially few idiots on the water than I did 10 yrs ago,
and the accident statistics continue to show improvements.

I know, I know. The comment was directed at Harry's comment that his boat could
comfortably sleep three kids *or* two adults.

I've had three little kids aboard, and for 10 minutes two of them
actually did take naps. Then, it was back to the usual mayhem. I just
slap lifejackets on them and hope for the best. Any kid who won't wear a
jacket stays ashore.

One of my cats likes to ride on the boats. Most of the others probably
would not.

There aren't many under 30' boats in which I'd want to be trying to
sleep while there are a bunch of rugrats aboard. Albin makes a model or
two that might be suitable, and they are not the horrid bubble boats.

I believe NOYB was talking about an 'overnighter', not an afternoon on the
water. The law requires life jackets for little kids, so it's not a matter of
choosing.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

Wayne.B

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 05:43:04 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

The reasons I prefer outboards (in order of importance):

Shallow draft
Speed
Simplicity to replace (although it can be more costly than diesels)

=================================

All perfectly valid reasons, it just depends on your priorities.

NOYB

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:55:48 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

The
33' especially demonstrated to me that a pair of outboards can offer
more than a pair of diesels.
==========================
The advantage of the diesels is not speed, it is range, fuel economy
and longevity.

There's a pretty good article in one the major magazines (or perhaps it
was Powerboat Reports?) that compared the diesel Glacier bay against a
Suzuki-powered Glacier Bay. They made the point that they're not
convinced that the diesels will have a distinct longevity advantage over
the outboards. I'm pretty sure that overall, they preferred the
outboards in the shootout...but I'll have to go back in the archives and
check.

In my opinion, it really depends on how, why and where you do your
boating. Long range cruising is ideal for diesels whereas a weekend blast
in the bay is a lot of fun with big outboards. In any case, very few
ocean boaters that I know run anywhere near their boat's top speed unless
the ocean lays down flat calm which is rare.

30+ kts in a thirty something foot boat in 4-5 footers is not my idea of
fun regardless of the make of the boat.

You are correct. Seas were running exactly that during the last 25 miles of
my trip from Tampa this evening. I was heading SE and the wind was blowing
20 knots from the ENE. It made for a nasty quartering sea. The new boat
managed 20-22mph through it, with a fine mist on the transom seat...and
rarely some spray on the side curtains. It was especially fun in the
dark...as I got a late start leaving the marina.

Yo!! Thunder... *JimH* General 25 November 17th 05 12:18 AM
Yo!! Thunder... thunder General 0 November 16th 05 12:36 PM