Default kayak plans second post

(I did not get this posted correctly earlier....here is another
effort).

Please excuse my Faux pas. If that is the system I will accept it.

Let me ask this.

I think I want to build a canvas kayak. I have borowed two books from
the library.
The New Kayak Shop and Wood and Canvas kayaks. Both look to be
excellent books.

The only thing I am not comfortable with is the effort it is going to
take to enlarge the plans. It looks like a chore in itself. Does anyone

have suggestions to make this process a little easier? I am not exactly

new to woodworking or plan making, I am looking for something to
expedite the process. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
One concern I am having is I really don't want to get too much wrapped
up in plans I may never use. (i do not always finish what i start). I
like the look of the Kayaks on this page

http://www.guillemotkayaks.com/Build...vas/CanvsPlywo...

Obviously these are from Guillemot Kayaks. If I cannot get it done I
may just buy an old town kayak from Cabelas. I looked at a few of
another brand in the $250-$350 range in a different sporting goods
store (not Cabelas) and they do not look like much. That is why I am
looking into plans.

Thanks, -k

Michael Daly

On 10-Nov-2005, "k" wrote:

Wood and Canvas kayaks

Putz's book? - there are better:

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/guille/wiki.pl?Books

If you want only one book, Cunningham's is a good single source
about all things concerning Greenland style kayaks. Morris's and
Starr's books are also excellent - more about kayak building and
less on other topics.

You can learn a lot from several web sites. Qayaq USA is one that
is popular with skin-on-frame builders.

http://www.qajaqusa.org

There are forums there where you can find the answer to almost any
SOF kayak making question.

Mike
Bill Bradshaw

k wrote:
(I did not get this posted correctly earlier....here is another
effort).

Please excuse my Faux pas. If that is the system I will accept it.

I think I want to build a canvas kayak. I have borowed two books from
the library.
The New Kayak Shop and Wood and Canvas kayaks. Both look to be
excellent books.

The only thing I am not comfortable with is the effort it is going to
take to enlarge the plans. It looks like a chore in itself. Does
anyone

have suggestions to make this process a little easier? I am not
exactly

You might find this site interesting.

http://www.arctickayaks.com/

--
Bill

Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

Has anyone built the kayak from David Zimmerly's plans that Bill
mentioned (Thanks Bill). http://www.arctickayaks.com/ It looks
interesting. I'll have to figure how to scale it down because I do not
have a big enough space to build it. (22' yikes!) - k

k wrote:
[...]

Brian Nystrom

k wrote:
Has anyone built the kayak from David Zimmerly's plans that Bill
mentioned (Thanks Bill). http://www.arctickayaks.com/ It looks
interesting. I'll have to figure how to scale it down because I do not
have a big enough space to build it. (22' yikes!) - k

Skin-on-frame kayaks are not typically built from plans. The popular
books on the subject (Morris, Cunningham, Starr, Petersen) teach you a
construction method and how to determine the proper dimensions to match
your body size. That's how the Inuit and Aleut did it (and still do).
Zimmerly's book contains examples of kayaks from several areas and has
dimensioned diagrams of them for reference, but does not teach the
construction methods. You could use those dimensions to duplicate the
boat, but you still need to learn how to build it. If you're thinking of
building any of the Aleut boats, Morris' book has instructions for
building them, in addition to the main section on building
Greenland-style boats. Cunningham's, Starr's and Petersens books are
about building Greenland-style boats only, though many of the techniques
are the same.

Thanks for the reply Brian. Here is what I think I need:
Dimensions for a14-16' Greenland style kayak
(the width and depth for a 5'9 180 pound person should not be that hard
to figure (there are alot of us around). a general idea of size would
be helpful.
A good plan (picture, example, drawing) of the gunwale.
A method to figure out the size of where a person sits (coams?).
cockpit?
I have looked at enough pictures...I think I have it figured out (how
to construct it).
A reccomendation of materials would not hurt anything.

Morris',Cunningham's, Starr's and Petersen's book are not available on
library loan.
If you were going to buy one....which one would it be? Thanks,
-k

Brian Nystrom wrote:
k wrote:
[...]

Brian Nystrom

k wrote:
Thanks for the reply Brian. Here is what I think I need:
Dimensions for a14-16' Greenland style kayak
(the width and depth for a 5'9 180 pound person should not be that hard
to figure (there are alot of us around). a general idea of size would
be helpful.
A good plan (picture, example, drawing) of the gunwale.
A method to figure out the size of where a person sits (coams?).
cockpit?
I have looked at enough pictures...I think I have it figured out (how
to construct it).
A reccomendation of materials would not hurt anything.

Morris',Cunningham's, Starr's and Petersen's book are not available on
library loan.
If you were going to buy one....which one would it be? Thanks,
-k

Morris' book is probably the most comprehensive and his building
technique is the easiest. The only caveat is that he suggests cutting
all of your wood from rough 2x stock that's not available in most areas
and is a pain in the ass to do.

Cunningham's book shows a superior way of making matched gunwale boards
by cutting them from a wider plank. His method is the most authentic
(next to Petersen's, who's books are very hard to find) and somewhat
more difficult than Morris'.

Starr's method is probably the most foolproof, but it's slower.

All of these books show you how to determine the dimensions for your
boat. Once you get into the process, it's much easier to understand how
it works and it seems much less daunting. Building these boats is a
matter of a lot of relatively simple steps. You learn the skills you
need as you go along.

Honestly, I think it's best to have at least two of these books, if not
all three, to get a more balanced perspective of the process and to see
various options for the construction steps. I've got about a dozen books
and one video on the subject and they all have good info to offer. They
aren't expensive and they're well worth owning.

Brian Nystrom wrote:

k wrote:

[...]

Ordered Cunningham's and Morris' book. Thanks Brian. -k

posted to rec.boats.paddle
freighter canoe

Try 'Adney and chapelle', Skin and bark boats of north america, for
lots of line drawings that you can scale up, as well as the traditional
measurements and means of construction.It is also a great read. For
fabric I prefer multiple layers of aircraft dacron to canvas as it is
easier to use and more durable. I have got to a relatively
bulletproof(so far) layering routine for the painting that withstands
repeated surf landings and launchings(18 years and counting with the
freighter canoes). I have done a couple of kayaks but mostly canoes(4
kids). peter

WTB Kayak plans k General 15 November 14th 05 08:11 PM
Touring Kayak Exercise? Nathan Mellor Touring 1 November 8th 05 05:29 AM
FS: Nautiraid Raid II Folding Kayak [email protected] Touring 0 October 29th 05 05:59 PM
Plans for cedar strip type round bottom sailing skiff [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 29th 05 01:22 AM