Dr. Dr. Smithers

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

Doug,

Let me make a correction here. I am able to go slow enough to avoid most
accidents. If a large tanker suddenly decides to pull into my side of the
channel it is very possible the tanker could force me out of the channel and
into a shoal or rocks. If my boat was damaged by the tanker, I and my
insurance company would seek restitution from the tanker.

If a sailboat was heading towards me in a marina with very narrow channel,
it is possible for that sailboat to change course as we are passing each
other and hit my boat without me assuming any responsibility.

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote in
message news:...
Doug,
I am able to manage my boat and go slow enough to avoid boat traffic, no
matter what the other boats do, but many ships are not. The ColRegs are
not written to regulate my actions but for all boat/ship traffic. I was
highlighting the obvious error you made when you said if any boat/ship is
involved in an accident, they are at fault. This is not correct.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:

Doug,
Do you have any idea how narrow many channels are?
Take a look at the majority of the St. Law. Seaway.

Actually, that's VERY wide as channels go. Are you suggesting that you
cannot manage to drive your boat along a course and keep it within 100
yards or so of where it should be?

Are you also suggesting that going SLOW when close to other boat traffic
is not an option?

DSK

DSK

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:

Doug,

Let me make a correction here. I am able to go slow enough to avoid most
accidents.

So, you have had at least one accident, then?

....If a large tanker suddenly decides to pull into my side of the
channel it is very possible the tanker could force me out of the channel and
into a shoal or rocks. If my boat was damaged by the tanker, I and my
insurance company would seek restitution from the tanker.

???
When do large tankers *ever* make any "sudden" maneuvers? If a large
tanker (or any big ship, commercial or naval) forces you into a damaging
situation, it's your fault for not seeing the big ship and taking
correct action long before.

If a sailboat was heading towards me in a marina with very narrow channel,
it is possible for that sailboat to change course as we are passing each
other and hit my boat without me assuming any responsibility.

That may be true, but it's not what Bill is talking about. And after
reading your rambling posts displaying your miscinceptions, I'm more
convinced than ever that it's hopeless to try an explain proper piloting
to you (or Bill M, or most motorboaters). You have no familiarity with
basic physics governing boat behavior, and seem to think that "the
rules" are just a formalized way of justifying your selfish &
short-sighted actions, and everybody else must be in the wrong.

DSK

Dr. Dr. Smithers

Doug,

I have never had a boating accident or filed a insurance claim on my car,
home or boat insurance. I am familiar with basic physics governing boat
behavior and do not believe the rules are just formalized way of justifying
anyone's behavior, nor do I believe everyone else is wrong.

You fail to realize that ships do have problems that can cause them to
behave in unusual manner. A ship slammed into a shopping mall in the
Mississippi due to a mechanical malfunction. I saw a ship slam into a lock
damaging the lock, when the engine shut down unexpectedly and the ship lost
the ability to reverse. The captain dropped his anchor to try to stop, but
the anchor did not set before he hit the lock. Ships have had problems with
one screw stops causing the ship to behave very erratically.

Since you fail to see the obvious and prefer to make insults, and assume
that my discussion was to justify someone doing 25 mph 15 ft from a slow
moving boat, this discussion is probably useless for both of us.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:

[...]

DSK

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
Doug,

I have never had a boating accident

Really? You stated:

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
... I am able to go slow enough to avoid most
accidents.

Did you not?

That means you must have had at least one accident, or that you cannot
use the English language properly. Which is it?

... or filed a insurance claim on my car,
home or boat insurance.

And this is relevent... how, exactly?

... I am familiar with basic physics governing boat
behavior

If that were true, you would not have posted:

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
....If a large tanker suddenly decides to pull into my side of the
channel

"Large tankers" don't do *anything* suddenly. It is the same sort of
statement as that made by motorists who hit trees or bridge abutments,
saying that the obstruction "suddenly" jumped in front of them.

If a large ship appears to you to take sudden action, that is proving
that you either know nothing about the physics or that you weren't
paying attention. Which is it?

You fail to realize that ships do have problems that can cause them to
behave in unusual manner. A ship slammed into a shopping mall in the
Mississippi due to a mechanical malfunction. I saw a ship slam into a lock
damaging the lock, when the engine shut down unexpectedly and the ship lost
the ability to reverse.

Yep. And neither happened suddenly.

Since you fail to see the obvious and prefer to make insults

When have I insulted you? I have only quoted your own statements and
pointed out your errors.

Now, if I called you a clumsy moron who should have both his arms
surgically removed at the shoulder for his own safety & that of others,
that would be an insult. It may be true, but it would be an insult.

...this discussion is probably useless for both of us.

It is useless for you because you refuse to learn. It is useful for me
because it helps remind me just how hopeless so many motorboaters are,
plus it's funny.

DSK

Dr. Dr. Smithers

Doug,
I will type very slow to help you understand this. I am confident that in
most situations I am able to use defensive driving to avoid most car
accidents, but I am not silly enough to assume my defensive driving will
prevent me from having all accidents. I am able to boat safely, use
defensive boating and maintain a speed and control over my boat that will
allow me to avoid most boating accidents, but there might be a situation
that I would not be able to avoid. I am also able to stand on the Empire
State building and under most situations not be blown off of the building.
If I was outside of the fence, and hurricane winds were blowing, I would
probably not be able to hold on, but in most situations, I am comfortable
that I would not get blown off of the Empire State building. I would
like to point out, I have not had an auto accident for more than 30 yrs. , I
have never had a boating accident, and I have never been blown off of the
Empire State Building, but I do accept the fact that there are situations
where all 3 could occur.

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
[...]

John H.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:07:01 -0500, "Dr. Dr. Smithers" Ask Me about my Phd @
Diploma Mill .com wrote:

[...]

At the same time? :)
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

HK

Bill McKee

Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
[...]

Some times defensive driving does not help. Have been hit twice at stop
lights, One, the guy had no brakes, 2nd, guy had no driving skills.

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Dr. Dr. Smithers Ask Me about my Phd @ Diploma Mill .com wrote:
Doug,
If a sailboat was heading towards me in a marina with very narrow channel,
it is possible for that sailboat to change course as we are passing each
other and hit my boat without me assuming any responsibility.

Depends on the situation, the sailboat, etc. This isn't enough info to
make a decision.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Dr. Dr. Smithers

Bill,
That is why I did not say, I could avoid all accidents using defensive
driving. There are other situation where one can be driving defensively and
still be involved in an accident.

Driving and Boating are not risk free.

k.net...