Default To My Canadian Friends...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Because I like to travel here and there during the day when I'm not
doing anything, in self defense more than anything, I purchased a 1992
Ford Escort - a literal "old lady" car - 60 thousand original miles,
always garaged, pristine condition. This is a Canadian car in fact -
built in Canada.

Because of sitting over the past couple of years, the brakes needed
repair, so I started on the project around 9 this morning.

I would just like to point out to my Canadian friends, that it's
leftie loosey, righty tighty.

Not leftie tighty, righty loosie.

~~ mutter ~~

If you are speaking of the lug nuts, one side is left hand threaded to
prevent the lugs from loosening. There are a lot of applications like
that that make left hand threads essential.

Jeff Rigby

wrote in message
oups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Because I like to travel here and there during the day when I'm not
doing anything, in self defense more than anything, I purchased a 1992
Ford Escort - a literal "old lady" car - 60 thousand original miles,
always garaged, pristine condition. This is a Canadian car in fact -
built in Canada.

Because of sitting over the past couple of years, the brakes needed
repair, so I started on the project around 9 this morning.

I would just like to point out to my Canadian friends, that it's
leftie loosey, righty tighty.

Not leftie tighty, righty loosie.

~~ mutter ~~

If you are speaking of the lug nuts, one side is left hand threaded to
prevent the lugs from loosening. There are a lot of applications like
that that make left hand threads essential.

Knock off hubs yes, lawn mower blade nut yes, but lug nuts....someone wasn't
thinking.

Jim Carter

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
My 1965 Barracuda was the same, but that is probably a hold-over from
the horse and buggy days where you *had* to have left hand threads on
the left hand side of the axle.

Wow, small world.....I had two Barracuda vehicles. 1964 Formula S with Hi
Performance 273 engine and 1968 Formula S. with the 340 engine. I loved
those cars! Wished I had either one today.......
Jim

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:56:36 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Ok, then, from an engineering perspective, why would you have left
hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle?.... remember, we
aren't talking NASCAR, here.....

Too keep the sloppy wheel from unscrewing the nut as the car moved
forward.
Mark E. Williams
Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:36:52 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

wrote:

Ok, then, from an engineering perspective, why would you have left
hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle?.... remember, we
aren't talking NASCAR, here.....

Too keep the sloppy wheel from unscrewing the nut as the car moved
forward.
Mark E. Williams

So, I should have been expecting a wheel to fall off since my 1972 4WD
GMC 2500? After 33+ years (30K per year) of GM products I should
expect a wheel to fall off on the left side?

Still waiting.....

Actualy it comes from way back in the wagon days. The wheel nuts
didn't have a fixed (non-turning) washer between the wheel and the nut
to keep the turning wheel from unscrewing the nut.
Therefore...left-hand wheel nuts on the left side.
I'm don't think horse/wagon rigs had to worry about backing up. )
Mark E. Willliams
Bill McKee

news

wrote:

Ok, then, from an engineering perspective, why would you have left
hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle?.... remember, we
aren't talking NASCAR, here.....

Too keep the sloppy wheel from unscrewing the nut as the car moved
forward.
Mark E. Williams

So, I should have been expecting a wheel to fall off since my 1972 4WD
GMC 2500? After 33+ years (30K per year) of GM products I should
expect a wheel to fall off on the left side?

Still waiting.....

Actualy it comes from way back in the wagon days. The wheel nuts
didn't have a fixed (non-turning) washer between the wheel and the nut
to keep the turning wheel from unscrewing the nut.
Therefore...left-hand wheel nuts on the left side.
I'm don't think horse/wagon rigs had to worry about backing up. )
Mark E. Willliams

They backup all the time. Watch the Budweiser horse team put on the show
sometime.

The Trolling Stops HERE Capt. Rob ASA 30 October 27th 05 09:11 PM
Who would be upset at a cartoon of Thor? Doug Freyburger ASA 0 October 19th 05 10:21 PM
From the Canadian Press--A MUST READ Skipper General 21 October 19th 05 07:55 PM
bertie the bunyip versus bob wald Limey ASA 0 October 13th 05 04:26 PM