Bill McKee

Default To My Canadian Friends...

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:36:52 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:25:06 -0500, Maynard G. Krebbs
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:56:36 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Ok, then, from an engineering perspective, why would you have left
hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle?.... remember, we
aren't talking NASCAR, here.....

Too keep the sloppy wheel from unscrewing the nut as the car moved
forward.
Mark E. Williams

So, I should have been expecting a wheel to fall off since my 1972 4WD
GMC 2500? After 33+ years (30K per year) of GM products I should
expect a wheel to fall off on the left side?

Still waiting.....

Actualy it comes from way back in the wagon days. The wheel nuts
didn't have a fixed (non-turning) washer between the wheel and the nut
to keep the turning wheel from unscrewing the nut.
Therefore...left-hand wheel nuts on the left side.
I'm don't think horse/wagon rigs had to worry about backing up. )
Mark E. Willliams

They backup all the time. Watch the Budweiser horse team put on the show
sometime.