Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Paul Dougherty

Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him. For
example yesterday we went fishing at small lake. I drove my truck,
towing my boat 140+ miles round trip, used 6 gallons of fuel on the
lake. I know that is not a lot since some people here have boats that
use 6 gallons just to start. But, he could offer.
Another example last year we went to Canada for a "guys" week. We used
60-70 gallons of fuel running around a much bigger lake (Bobs Lake if
anyone knows where that is) that week. That is not including the 70-80
gallons to get there and back. He did not offer cash for gas. But, he
did pay his share of the house and food. My brother and his friend
shared a boat that week and split everything 50/50 and made comments
about sharing the cost in front of my friend. But, he was still
clueless.
My brother's father in-law has a boat at the Jersey shore. When he
invites me down, even though he has more money than I will ever see, I
offer and intend to pay part of the $100-150 fuel bill. But he always
refuses. But I always offer.
Does anyone have or has had this issue? What did you or are you going
do?

Paul