Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

I agree with one of the previous posters. I am going out anyways and
the extra weight of the people I invite really doesn't make my boat
use much more gas. But that said, it is nice to get an offer, but I
always refuse. Maybe insted of gas it may be easier for you to get him
to by the bait and beer?

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:29:30 -0400, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Amazing. I have always paid for ALL of the gas, bait, food, beer, etc.
when I could get away with it. The boat owner is paying for the boat,
trailer, taxes, registration(s), interest, maintenance, and the other
endless expenses. Seems like a hell of a deal to me! A buddy of mine
often used to take me fishing up north in his "walleye" boat. His
kicker crapped out so I picked up a new one for less than $1000. This
is maybe 3-4 boat payments. He was shocked but he was the one really
shelling out the big money.

Now that I have two boats, I have never expected any money but my
friends, to this point, seem to have followed the same philosophy as
me. I never give it much thought since it all works out in the end.

Dan

Paul Dougherty wrote:

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him. For
example yesterday we went fishing at small lake. I drove my truck,
towing my boat 140+ miles round trip, used 6 gallons of fuel on the
lake. I know that is not a lot since some people here have boats that
use 6 gallons just to start. But, he could offer.
Another example last year we went to Canada for a "guys" week. We used
60-70 gallons of fuel running around a much bigger lake (Bobs Lake if
anyone knows where that is) that week. That is not including the 70-80
gallons to get there and back. He did not offer cash for gas. But, he
did pay his share of the house and food. My brother and his friend
shared a boat that week and split everything 50/50 and made comments
about sharing the cost in front of my friend. But, he was still
clueless.
My brother's father in-law has a boat at the Jersey shore. When he
invites me down, even though he has more money than I will ever see, I
offer and intend to pay part of the $100-150 fuel bill. But he always
refuses. But I always offer.
Does anyone have or has had this issue? What did you or are you going
do?

Paul

FRANKWBELL

In article et, "Rural
Knight" writes:

If they or their friends offer gas money, I always turn
them down, but it is noted and they always get another invite to go.

I do the same, because I would have been going out anyway, but if they then say
"What can I bring," I hit them up for some refreshments, cokes, ice, KFC,
something like that.

Frank Bell

Paul Schilter

Charles,
I concur with you, I paid to fill my buddies 30 foot Sea Ray at a tune
of $150 dollars, and that paid for the trip down to Put-in Bay (from Anchor
Bay MI), he paid for the fill up back. It gave me a new appreciation for
what it costs to operate a 30 footer.
Paul

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
Right on, Andrew. I always stop on the way HOME for fuel too. If you

wait
and do it on the way out, you're just postponing the fun and that's the
whole point of this. I hate bringing my boat back without a full tank of
gas.

Also like yourself, I'll only invite a dead beat a couple of times. After
they stand there about twice and let me pay for everything and do all the
cleaning up, they don't get invited back. The ones that make the effort,

at
least offer to pay, get invited regularly. It's not just about boating,
it's about courtesy. I almost said "common courtesy" there but it's not

so
common anymore.

Charles

"Andrew Krapcha" wrote in message
I make it a point to keep my boat full of fuel. On the way home I stop

and
fill it again. Whoever was along for the ride gets to see that it is not
cheap to operate (once they comment I will also be glad to list all the
underlying cost IE: maint., oil...) they usually pitch in for fuel. If

they
don't, you don't have to feel obligated to invite them along again.

Before I bought my own boat, I never went fishing with friends without
forking over some cash. Unless you want to provide free entertainment,

don't
invite deadbeats. Personally, I feel it is **** poor to ride for free.

Andy k.

"Paul Dougherty" wrote in message
om...
[...]

JDavis1277

We are a group of four fishermen, all with boats. The largest boat in the fleet
is 18' so we usually bring two boats with two guys in each.

We take turns furnishing the boat. Our deal is simple... the boat owner
furnishes everything except the bait and we each bring our own snacks and
drinks. Generally we meet at the ramp but if we are going farther afield we
ride two to a vehicle.

Nice arrangement. If one of us is dumb enough to run out of fuel or leave the
GPS on all night the night before (me) we can manage to salvage the day.

We also share the catch unless there is not enough to go around. Last time out
the other boat got skunked but my boat caught about ten nice specks and a nice
red. Who needs more thn two nice fish for supper? One of the guys had company
coming for supper so he got the extras. It's a pretty sweet arrangement.

Butch
TWEVOLTMAN

hell, this is easy. my friend just bought a boat, i fish whenever i want, he
will not take any gas $$ from me. my solution, i mate for him and teach him how
to use his new boat, his first real boat a 17' campion c/c w/85hp merc. we get
along well with the deal. only time i fill it up is when i use it myself and on
the way in.btw, this boat is spotless !!!
RGrew176

From: (Paul Dougherty)

Hello Group,
[...]

Well, a great quandry. I have a 30 footer. When I invite people out on the boat
I never expect or ask for gas money. It's my invite. Besides I am going out
anyway and the company is nice.

Almost without exception when we get to our destination they, the passengers or
invitees, if you wish to call them that will usually offer to pay for any
dockage and I will accept that. Also, I usually do not have to buy my own
dinner or drinks so in the end it sort of evens out.

To each their own. I won't ask for or expect gas money but I will accept the
other perks that are usually offered when I take guests out for a cruise.

You will have do decide what works best for you. Someone who offers absolutely
nothing is probably not someone I would keep taking out on my boat..