Paul Dougherty

Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him. For
example yesterday we went fishing at small lake. I drove my truck,
towing my boat 140+ miles round trip, used 6 gallons of fuel on the
lake. I know that is not a lot since some people here have boats that
use 6 gallons just to start. But, he could offer.
Another example last year we went to Canada for a "guys" week. We used
60-70 gallons of fuel running around a much bigger lake (Bobs Lake if
anyone knows where that is) that week. That is not including the 70-80
gallons to get there and back. He did not offer cash for gas. But, he
did pay his share of the house and food. My brother and his friend
shared a boat that week and split everything 50/50 and made comments
about sharing the cost in front of my friend. But, he was still
clueless.
My brother's father in-law has a boat at the Jersey shore. When he
invites me down, even though he has more money than I will ever see, I
offer and intend to pay part of the $100-150 fuel bill. But he always
refuses. But I always offer.
Does anyone have or has had this issue? What did you or are you going
do?

Paul
Lu Powell

Correction on line 4: "afford".

"Lu Powell" wrote in message
Had a neighbor like that. Invited him to go fishing once. Never asked
him again. His wife asked if I was mad at him. I told her no, just

that
I couldn't afforded him. He had shortest arms and deepest pockets in

the
county.

"Paul Dougherty" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rural Knight

"Paul Dougherty" wrote in message
om...
Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him.

I invite people aboard my boats for a days fishing - nobody invites
themselves. If they or their friends offer gas money, I always turn
them down, but it is noted and they always get another invite to go.
I go with one guy who takes care of all the rigging and unrigging
when we make a run - his idea is that if I won't take money, maybe
I'll take the labor. Some of the guys I ask don't have the money to
pay for a day on the water, but they will bring fresh bait, etc. One
guy's wife cuts up fresh veggies, fruits and stuffs a Playmate cooler
with homemade iced tea for us to take.

My feeling is if I offer, then it's like inviting somebody over for
dinner - you don't expect them to bring something, but if they do,
so much the better.

I'm going fishing anyway - no skin off my nose. And in thinking
about it, I don't think I've ever had somebody not offer to pay for
gas or bring something to use like bait or food.

Later,

Tom

Wayne.B

On 7 Aug 2003 14:27:27 -0700, (Paul Dougherty)
wrote:
[...]

This is more like an "Ann Landers" type question in my opinion, but if
it is important to you, you should reach an agreement in advance.

JR North

All the time. If he is really your friend, there should be
no problem with you saying "I need you to pony up half the
gas, dude; it costs me a lot, you know?" . If he is really
your friend, and not a good time Skimpy, he will gladly put
out. If he has a problem with it, for any reason, then you
have a problem, and you know what it is.
JR.

Paul Doughty wrote:

[...]

Gary Warner

My Opinions:

- Just because you invite someone does NOT mean you can't
ask for gas / expenses money. You can ask for anything
you want; it's your prerogative. It *is* like asking someone
over for dinner...you can ask them to bring a dish or the wine
if you want to.

- It is NOT uncouth to ask for 1/2 of expenses. Even if
they are paying half of the out of pocket expenses for the day
you still have the investment in the boat, probably
lots of upkeep, responsibility, etc., etc.

- They can say "no" and/or not offer anything. That
is perfectly fine; that is their prerogative.

- If they choose not to offer anything do not be
mad at them. Just dont' invite them if you don't
like it.

- If you KEEP inviting them when they don't pay
then you have NO right to bitch about it.

- If you don't ask for anything and they don't give
anything you might think they "should" give something.
But some people are shy in weird ways...My feeling
is you should not be mad at them if you don't ASK
for something. Maybe they honestly don't know
and/or honestly don't want to offer something for
fear it will offend you. People think weird things...
ASK them for what you want.

[...]

Michael Seeley

Tough call but if you continually invite then it's your deal. I usually
decline with thanks, as I would be going out with or without a guest. I do
however understand that an offer to help would be welcomed. Most people that
don't own boats assume that 50 gallons of fuel doesn't last as long in a
boat as it does in a civic
[...]

Charles

Right on, Andrew. I always stop on the way HOME for fuel too. If you wait
and do it on the way out, you're just postponing the fun and that's the
whole point of this. I hate bringing my boat back without a full tank of
gas.

Also like yourself, I'll only invite a dead beat a couple of times. After
they stand there about twice and let me pay for everything and do all the
cleaning up, they don't get invited back. The ones that make the effort, at
least offer to pay, get invited regularly. It's not just about boating,
it's about courtesy. I almost said "common courtesy" there but it's not so
common anymore.

Charles

"Andrew Krapcha" wrote in message
I make it a point to keep my boat full of fuel. On the way home I stop and
fill it again. Whoever was along for the ride gets to see that it is not
cheap to operate (once they comment I will also be glad to list all the
underlying cost IE: maint., oil...) they usually pitch in for fuel. If

they
don't, you don't have to feel obligated to invite them along again.

Before I bought my own boat, I never went fishing with friends without
forking over some cash. Unless you want to provide free entertainment,

don't
invite deadbeats. Personally, I feel it is **** poor to ride for free.

Andy k.

[...]

Dan Krueger

Amazing. I have always paid for ALL of the gas, bait, food, beer, etc.
when I could get away with it. The boat owner is paying for the boat,
trailer, taxes, registration(s), interest, maintenance, and the other
endless expenses. Seems like a hell of a deal to me! A buddy of mine
often used to take me fishing up north in his "walleye" boat. His
kicker crapped out so I picked up a new one for less than $1000. This
is maybe 3-4 boat payments. He was shocked but he was the one really
shelling out the big money.

Now that I have two boats, I have never expected any money but my
friends, to this point, seem to have followed the same philosophy as
me. I never give it much thought since it all works out in the end.

Dan

Paul Dougherty wrote:

[...]

DSK

This has been an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

Paul Dougherty wrote:

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing.

Your friend is either a dunce or a deadbeat. You and the other guys talked
it over in front of him, right? He didn't offer a dime when everybody else
chipped in, right?

I've had several friends who were deadbeats. After noticing their pattern,
and confirming it, I either quit doing things with them, or (if their
company was worth it) only did things with them that the cost would not
bother me. One of my best friends during and after college was a
deadbeat... part of it was that he had been poor most of his life, and
even after landing a good job could not bring himself to spend money (I
think... we never talked about it and he's dead now).

You have to decide for yourself whether to 1- stop inviting him or 2-
discuss the issue with him with as much humor and grace as you can
(preferably before inviting him again) or 3- just putting up with his
deadbeat ways.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King