Larry

Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

When they board my little 16' yellow jetboat, they see a sign I bought
at West Marine which is really funny, but pointedly hinting.....It
says:

THIS BOAT RUNS ON GAS - NOT THANKS

Works great!.....and everyone gets a smile....

"Ass, gas or grass.....NOBODY rides for free."

On 7 Aug 2003 14:27:27 -0700, (Paul Dougherty)
wrote:

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him. For
example yesterday we went fishing at small lake. I drove my truck,
towing my boat 140+ miles round trip, used 6 gallons of fuel on the
lake. I know that is not a lot since some people here have boats that
use 6 gallons just to start. But, he could offer.
Another example last year we went to Canada for a "guys" week. We used
60-70 gallons of fuel running around a much bigger lake (Bobs Lake if
anyone knows where that is) that week. That is not including the 70-80
gallons to get there and back. He did not offer cash for gas. But, he
did pay his share of the house and food. My brother and his friend
shared a boat that week and split everything 50/50 and made comments
about sharing the cost in front of my friend. But, he was still
clueless.
My brother's father in-law has a boat at the Jersey shore. When he
invites me down, even though he has more money than I will ever see, I
offer and intend to pay part of the $100-150 fuel bill. But he always
refuses. But I always offer.
Does anyone have or has had this issue? What did you or are you going
do?

Paul

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Paul- It's your fault for letting it go this long, you have to speak up,
the longer you drag it out the worst it gets, SPEAK UP! It's the same
with boat duties, putting the bumpers/fenders out, loading-unloading the
tackle and gear, cleaning up, covering the boat, trailer duty, you're
the captain. SPEAK UP! Tom.

Mikhael

I have the same situation, but I've come not to expect anyone I entertain on
my boat to pony up gas money. I love going out on my boat, tubing etc, and
the consumption of gas is part of having fun. My friends are all close and
good and they usually offer to pay for gas, or do other things for me that
make up for it. We often go to islands or nice little bays and have bbq
picnics and stuff which are usually pot luck. Works out great.

On the other hand, if I was low on cash... and someone offered to help pay
for gas, I'd most definitely take them up on the offer.

Mike

"Paul Dougherty" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Doug Kanter

As our mothers would say, "Some people were raised in a barn", which is an
insult to the pigs, cows, goats and chickens. Even my own son offers to buy
the potato chips when we stop to gas up the truck. (I let him because it
makes him feel good, but I help fund his skateboard exploits and movies).

Last night, I went to an orientation for his 9th grade class. Five seats
away in the auditorium, there was a mother and 3 kids, all at least 12 years
old. All four were talking at normal conversation volume for a loud
restaurant, while school people were giving presentations. I told the mother
that she and her kids were being obnoxious, so they moved to new seats and
continued talking.

Raised in a barn.

Paul Dougherty

Hi,
Well you all have some good suggestions. I will consider them amd try
one. I guess it will test our friendship if I ask for help with the
fuel bill.
Thanks to all who replied.

Paul

(Paul Dougherty) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Rich Stern

Most of the people I invite are close friends or family. I don't expect
anything from them. They wouldn't be in my boat (or a regular part of my life)
if I didn't enjoy their company. Footing the expense bill for sharing some
time with them is the least expensive dollar I'll ever spend.

If it's a casual friend, I don't expect anything from them, but I am aware of
whether or not they offer. The kind of person that offers tends to be the kind
of person I want as a regular friend, even though I probably won't accept. If
they buy snacks or drinks, that's plenty thanks.

Most of us like to deal with considerate people. I find it's more just the
awareness issue than anything else. If you are not considerate enough to offer
every once in a while, I probably have other, better reasons for not inviting
you.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Michael Sutton

I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him. For
example yesterday we went fishing at small lake. I drove my truck,
towing my boat 140+ miles round trip, used 6 gallons of fuel on the
lake. I know that is not a lot since some people here have boats that
use 6 gallons just to start. But, he could offer.
Another example last year we went to Canada for a "guys" week. We used
60-70 gallons of fuel running around a much bigger lake (Bobs Lake if
anyone knows where that is) that week. That is not including the 70-80
gallons to get there and back. He did not offer cash for gas. But, he
did pay his share of the house and food.

I hope you didn't clean his fish for him also on that trip
after you paid the gas....

I always offer to pay for gas or help pay for part of it, etc.
I also try to be the one who brings to cooler of drinks/snacks
if I'm going out on someone elses boat.

I don't always find people doing this when they go out on my
boat. If it's someone who does offer, its because they too
know what a boat operation coats, not to mention monthly
payments, insurance, fee's, registration, maintenance, etc
and they are usually a boat owner also.

I've never asked for gas money, but personally I think it's
the right thing to offer if you are going out on someone elses
boat, even if you are a guest. Especially if it's a trip
where a lot of gas is consumed. If they don't pay, not a big
deal. I knew that boats cost money when I bought it. I don't
ever get $$$ amount of money from everyone, it's just sometimes
someone will bring a cooler of something or offer to pay
when we are at the pump. It's funny to see a non boater
realize how much gas was used and what it costs compared
to prices of gas bought for a car.

-mike
DJ

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
Amazing. I have always paid for ALL of the gas, bait, food, beer, etc.
when I could get away with it. The boat owner is paying for the boat,
trailer, taxes, registration(s), interest, maintenance, and the other
endless expenses. Seems like a hell of a deal to me!

I have this philosphy too and will generally offer to cover all fuel and
compromise at 50%. If I'm one of a group of guests, I'll pretty much make
sure that we pay all fuel and treat the host like a king in the food and
beverage dept. That's probably because I know what these things cost. I've
rarely or never found anyone to make that offer when I take them on my boat,
but nearly everyone offers to split the costs. Those that don't are usually
friends with whom I do mutual recreational stuff - sometimes I provide the
gear, sometimes they do and it all works out.

A buddy of mine
often used to take me fishing up north in his "walleye" boat. His
kicker crapped out so I picked up a new one for less than $1000. This
is maybe 3-4 boat payments. He was shocked but he was the one really
shelling out the big money.

I have a friend who gave me an old (late 60s) Mercury kicker on "permanent
loan" (his words). He has come with me a few times boating and fishing. He
brought the motor to use trolling, telling me he hadn't run it in 5 years
and only a couple of times since he picked it up at a garage sale 10 years
ago. He didn't even know what lower unit lube was when I asked if I should
go ahead and change it and the plugs before we left. When he found out I
changed the plugs and gear lube and filled the tank with *fresh* gas, he
told me he thought the motor was better off being used by me regularly than
sitting in his shed for years at a time. I'd have to say I agree 8-). It's
25 years old and really beat up (probably from being transported in the back
of original owner's pickup), but compression is 125 each, inside the
cowling, it looks like new and it runs like a top. I have feeling he will
never ask for it back and he's got first seat on all major fishing trips.
Plus, he pays 1/2 of the gas and oil.

DJ

DJ

I wrote regarding a friend who permanently loaned me a kicker because I took
him fishing:

I have feeling he will
never ask for it back and he's got first seat on all major fishing trips.
Plus, he pays 1/2 of the gas and oil.

I meant to say he always offers to pay, but I don't let him but sometimes he
figures out a way to do it anyway. I don't argue the point because
sometimes I figure people just feel better paying. I know I do.

DJ