Jim

Default Any outboard experts out there?

I have a '92 25 horse Johnson outboard on a 13 foot Avon RIB. Very low
hour engine.

It has been in the shop twice lately (a good shop), and it still runs
poorly. Runs ok in the shop, I suppose.

It idles roughly, and runs out of fuel occasionally. Pump up the bulb
and it starts. Hard to start most of the time.

It's had new wires, plugs, all the obvious stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Calif Bill

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a '92 25 horse Johnson outboard on a 13 foot Avon RIB. Very low
hour engine.

It has been in the shop twice lately (a good shop), and it still runs
poorly. Runs ok in the shop, I suppose.

It idles roughly, and runs out of fuel occasionally. Pump up the bulb
and it starts. Hard to start most of the time.

It's had new wires, plugs, all the obvious stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like a either bad fuel bulb, bad tank pickup, air leak at the tank or
engine, or bad fuel pump.
Bill

Capt. Mike

"Calif Bill" wrote in message link.net...
"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a '92 25 horse Johnson outboard on a 13 foot Avon RIB. Very low
hour engine.

It has been in the shop twice lately (a good shop), and it still runs
poorly. Runs ok in the shop, I suppose.

It idles roughly, and runs out of fuel occasionally. Pump up the bulb
and it starts. Hard to start most of the time.

It's had new wires, plugs, all the obvious stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like a either bad fuel bulb, bad tank pickup, air leak at the tank or
engine, or bad fuel pump.
Bill

Your fuel tank may have a clogged air vent which would allow the fuel
pump to draw a vacuum on the tank until it can no pull hard enough
against the vacuum to get fuel.
Jim

The bulb or an air leak, possibly.

I added a fuel filter recently. I'll change the bulb and take a good
look at the fuel pickup, and all the connections. Thanks.

Jim

Calif Bill wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...

I have a '92 25 horse Johnson outboard on a 13 foot Avon RIB. Very low
hour engine.

It has been in the shop twice lately (a good shop), and it still runs
poorly. Runs ok in the shop, I suppose.

It idles roughly, and runs out of fuel occasionally. Pump up the bulb
and it starts. Hard to start most of the time.

It's had new wires, plugs, all the obvious stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like a either bad fuel bulb, bad tank pickup, air leak at the tank or
engine, or bad fuel pump.
Bill

Derek

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:51:45 GMT, Jim wrote:

The bulb or an air leak, possibly.

I added a fuel filter recently. I'll change the bulb and take a good
look at the fuel pickup, and all the connections. Thanks.

Jim

Calif Bill wrote:

While idling, hold a pice of board just in front of the carb. If it's
speckled with drops of fuel, your reed vavles are bad.

Symptoms of bad reed valves are hard starting and bad idling.

Scott W.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:42:26 -0700, Derek wrote:

I added a fuel filter recently. I'll change the bulb and take a good
look at the fuel pickup, and all the connections. Thanks.

I believe there's a fine mesh screen at the fuel inlet beneath a round
black cover. Check it.

Scott W.
Boots Crofoot

Crack the fuel cap on the tank or just run it with the cap
off at the dock and se how it goes. If it runs OK the vent
in the tank is plugged and it is creating a vacuum
"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a '92 25 horse Johnson outboard on a 13 foot Avon
RIB. Very low
hour engine.

It has been in the shop twice lately (a good shop), and it
still runs
poorly. Runs ok in the shop, I suppose.

It idles roughly, and runs out of fuel occasionally. Pump
up the bulb
and it starts. Hard to start most of the time.

It's had new wires, plugs, all the obvious stuff. Any
suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

IBNFSHN

You either have an air leak in the fuel line or a bad fuel pump. Easy and
cheap fix.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Boots Crofoot" wrote in message
.. .
Crack the fuel cap on the tank or just run it with the cap
off at the dock and se how it goes. If it runs OK the vent
in the tank is plugged and it is creating a vacuum
ink.net...