Snoopy

Default Newbee question. Bayliners on open sea

My dad is thinking about buying a sportboat.
Want to be able to waterski
Carry say 8 persons
But also maybe fish on open sea (Carib)
Also butget wise he is thinking of a Bayliner 215 Classic.
I'm wondering what is the (open) seaworthiness of such a Bayliner?

TIA
Frank
Harry Krause

Snoopy wrote:

My dad is thinking about buying a sportboat.
Want to be able to waterski
Carry say 8 persons
But also maybe fish on open sea (Carib)
Also butget wise he is thinking of a Bayliner 215 Classic.
I'm wondering what is the (open) seaworthiness of such a Bayliner?

TIA
Frank

Low, but more because of its design (which is shared by lots of
manufacturers) than its nameplate. Boats of that size and style in the
hands of newbies are best kept within sight of shore.
Snoopy

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:02:24 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Snoopy wrote:

My dad is thinking about buying a sportboat.
Want to be able to waterski
Carry say 8 persons
But also maybe fish on open sea (Carib)
Also butget wise he is thinking of a Bayliner 215 Classic.
I'm wondering what is the (open) seaworthiness of such a Bayliner?

TIA
Frank

Low, but more because of its design (which is shared by lots of
manufacturers) than its nameplate. Boats of that size and style in the
hands of newbies are best kept within sight of shore.

What specifically about it's design? The hull design ? If so are the
comparable boats from other manufactures with better hull design for
offshore.
At which specs should we be looking at for better offshore
performance.
Harry Krause

wrote:

Snoopy wrote:

My dad is thinking about buying a sportboat.
Want to be able to waterski
Carry say 8 persons
But also maybe fish on open sea (Carib)
Also butget wise he is thinking of a Bayliner 215 Classic.
I'm wondering what is the (open) seaworthiness of such a Bayliner?

TIA
Frank

Low, but more because of its design (which is shared by lots of
manufacturers) than its nameplate. Boats of that size and style in the
hands of newbies are best kept within sight of shore.

What specifically about it's design? The hull design ? If so are the
comparable boats from other manufactures with better hull design for
offshore.
At which specs should we be looking at for better offshore
performance.

Closed bow, more freeboard, taller bow, more bow flare, fewer seats
(fewer people onboard), larger fuel tanks, double batteries, full
electronics.
I don't know that boat's specifics, but I'd bet it has fuel capacity of
less than 50 gallons and a large V6 or small V8 engine.
Of course, I'm not sure what you mean by open sea. Are youplanning to go
20 or more miles offshore? What have you in mind?

JAXAshby

I don't believe this thread exists. [head shakes]

Gould 0738

I don't believe this thread exists. [head shakes]

Worse yet, I'm sure that somebody is about to chime in and *insist* that a
21-foot Bayliner has a diesel engine.
Frank Hopkins

Hi Frank,

If you are planning extensive offshore usage in anything but ideal weather
and conditions, you will want to re-think a Bayliner. Bayliners have a bad
reputation for hull failures in heavy water. (See N.T.S.B. sinking reports
at Coast Guard website.) Also, the boat is built with a lot of wood, which
rots eventually. This is why they are so cheap to get into. Bayliners also
depreciate very fast too. If budget is your primary motivation, you would be
better off with a better quality used boat.

Capt. Frank Hopkins
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

"Snoopy" wrote in message
My dad is thinking about buying a sportboat.
Want to be able to waterski
Carry say 8 persons
But also maybe fish on open sea (Carib)
Also butget wise he is thinking of a Bayliner 215 Classic.
I'm wondering what is the (open) seaworthiness of such a Bayliner?

TIA
Frank

Calif Bill

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I don't believe this thread exists. [head shakes]

Worse yet, I'm sure that somebody is about to chime in and *insist* that a
21-foot Bayliner has a diesel engine.

A 21-foot Bayliner requires a diesel engine to go more than 500' offshore.
That good enough Chuck?

Boat show/ Open House in Massachusetts Kevin General 0 April 16th 04 07:16 AM
Boat Show/ Open House Kevin General 0 April 16th 04 07:12 AM
Winterizing question plus. rock_doctor General 3 October 19th 03 02:24 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft Gary Warner General 5 September 25th 03 12:32 AM