Will

Default Outboard Motor

What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

Joseph Stachyra

o.k. BUT buy a well known motor like a mercury....
because everything in life needs service, and mercury has the dealers nation
wide.

yes you can get deals on cheap stuff, but when that stuff breaks who is
going to fix it, is the first question, second question, who carries
parts from japan....?????

so I stand by my statement, buy a mercury.....

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Joseph Stachyra :
o.k. BUT buy a well known motor like a mercury....
because everything in life needs service, and mercury has the dealers nation
wide.

yes you can get deals on cheap stuff, but when that stuff breaks who is
going to fix it, is the first question, second question, who carries
parts from japan....?????

so I stand by my statement, buy a mercury.....

That's pretty DAMN funny, because you know what? All the small Mercury
kickers are MADE by Tohatsu (Nissan) in Japan.

Dan

--
Microsoft Haiku #161

Out of resources:
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask far too much.
Don White

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

I personally would pay the extra for a nice 4 stroke outboard...maybe a
Yamaha. Quieter and less stinky.

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

I personally would pay the extra for a nice 4 stroke outboard...maybe a
Yamaha. Quieter and less stinky.

Yes, but...a five horse two stroke is perfectly appropriate for that
kind of boat and payload.

By the way, while the four strokes are almost silent at idle speeds, I
haven't noticed a significant *noise* difference at cruise speeds
between two strokes and four strokes of approximately equal horsepower.

Don White

Harry...just rec'd my copy of 'Boats & Places' magazine (provided free with
my Canadian Power & Sail Squadron membership).
Nice article about Ralph Evinrude Test Center near Stuart, Florida.

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:

Harry...just rec'd my copy of 'Boats & Places' magazine (provided free with
my Canadian Power & Sail Squadron membership).
Nice article about Ralph Evinrude Test Center near Stuart, Florida.

Cool. I wonder how the Evinrude line is doing these days with its new
owners. I am seeing some new Evinrudes out on the Bay, and that's a good
sign. I'd hate to see the brand name disappear entirely.

BTW, a family member may be traveling to Nova Scotia the end of August
for a three day business meeting. I don't know what city yet, but...I'd
guess Halifax. Once I find out, might you recommend some non-tourist
restaurants for local food and perhaps a couple of half day sightseeing
possibilities?
Don White

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

BTW, a family member may be traveling to Nova Scotia the end of August
for a three day business meeting. I don't know what city yet, but...I'd
guess Halifax. Once I find out, might you recommend some non-tourist
restaurants for local food and perhaps a couple of half day sightseeing
possibilities?

Sure can...but I'm not overly familiar with the 'top end' restaurants. Us
retired folk have to live within out means.

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

BTW, a family member may be traveling to Nova Scotia the end of August
for a three day business meeting. I don't know what city yet, but...I'd
guess Halifax. Once I find out, might you recommend some non-tourist
restaurants for local food and perhaps a couple of half day sightseeing
possibilities?

Sure can...but I'm not overly familiar with the 'top end' restaurants. Us
retired folk have to live within out means.

Top end is not the goal...really good seafood restaurants that serve
local fare...that's the ticket. In Kennebunkport, George H.W. Bush
favors Mabel's Lobster Claw Restaurant, and wo do we. It is not a fancy
place, nor is it on anyone's list of the most expensive restaurants in
that touristy city. Great lobstsa's, great chowda', good prices.
Don White

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Top end is not the goal...really good seafood restaurants that serve
local fare...that's the ticket. In Kennebunkport, George H.W. Bush
favors Mabel's Lobster Claw Restaurant, and wo do we. It is not a fancy
place, nor is it on anyone's list of the most expensive restaurants in
that touristy city. Great lobstsa's, great chowda', good prices.

Now we're talking. I usually go to 'Fries & Company' on Chebucto Rd here on
the peninsula. The Governor General made a point to visit and chow down a
few years ago..and in the past it's made top of the list for 'fish & chips'.
They also serve clams & scallops. Restaurant very simple, but bright &
clean.
McKelvies has been popular for a while. A bit upscale from Fries & Co. but
not outrageous.

Half day tours?? I'd have to recommend the Halifax Citadel. It explains
the reason for our existence. (protect 13 colonies from French at
Louisburg). Lots of military history explaining 'the other side' during the
wars of 1776 & 1812.
Various bus tours , water tours etc. but trip to Peggy's Cove always popular
with inland tourists. may not be such a big deal to tourists who live on the
coast. One of my neighbours (retired school guidance councilor), works on
the sight-seeing busses that meet the cruise ships. I'll ask her what most
find interesting.