calhoun

Default Outboard Motor

There should be a sign riveted to the boat stating the maximum HP. As long
as you stay below that you will be fine. That said I have a 10' Jon (rated
at 3HP) but only had a 4HP so I use that for Hudson River fishing. It works
fine. Only a one person boat though.
"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

Will

I ended up buying a new 2002 Suzuki 5 hp with a 15 inch shaft from a local
dealer. Took it out this afternoon and was very satisfied with its
performance. The 5hp motor put my little Lowe 1236 Lake Jon up on plane
very nicely with just me. I don't know if it will do it with another
fisherman in the boat, but I fish by myself most of the time. Thanks for
the input.

By the way, I ended up calling Lowe boat (the manufacturer) before making
the final decision. They advised that the 5 hp should work nicely, unless I
had the boat weighed down very heavily.

Thanks for the help. Good fishing!

Will

"calhoun" wrote in message
There should be a sign riveted to the boat stating the maximum HP. As long
as you stay below that you will be fine. That said I have a 10' Jon (rated
at 3HP) but only had a 4HP so I use that for Hudson River fishing. It

works
fine. Only a one person boat though.
"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft.

Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350

pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

Frank Hopkins

It will work just fine.
"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

Sean Elkins

In article , "Don White"
wrote:

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
What does the "group" think about a 5 hp 2-stroke outboard on a 12 ft. Jon
boat for small river fishing. Assuming a payload of less than 350 pounds,
would a new motor perform respectably?

I personally would pay the extra for a nice 4 stroke outboard...maybe a
Yamaha. Quieter and less stinky.

If I were going for a 5HP I would get the Briggs and Stratton air-cooled
unit. It's about 40% the price of a water-cooled outboard and nobody
disputes that B & S knows how to build a quality motor. Plus, when the
motor finally dies you can replace it with just about any old mower engine
for 100-200 bucks.