Nekto Poli

Default Looking into buying a 31 to 37 foot Sea Ray, V-Drive or I/O

Should I be looking for a V-Drive config or an Inboard/Outdrive(stern
drive) setup?

NP
Gould 0738

Should I be looking for a V-Drive config or an Inboard/Outdrive(stern
drive) setup?

NP

If you wind up buying at the upper end of your size range, most of the choices
will be either V drives or straight inboards.

At the 31-foot range, you will find some I/O choices to consider.

There is no always right answer for every boater. For my taste, V-drives are a
better choice than outdrives, and straight inboards are the best bet of all.
Many hull and superstructure configurations require the engines to be set well
aft- and in those cases a straight inboard does suffer some problems that a
V-drive boat does not.
Boats that try to use a straight inboard with the engines set well aft usually
wind up with big prop pockets- (the shaft angle would need to be too steep for
the very short run to provide clearance between the blade tips and the natural
hull shape).

Prop pockets reduce flotation at the transom, and make it harder to get the bow
down properly when accelerating to speed, (and in some makes and models even
when supposedly on plane). Prop pockets funnel drift right into the props. Get
a chunk of wood into that tunnel and there is *no* chance it will miss the
prop.

A v-drive allows a better shaft angle when the engine must be set under the
cockpit.
In many cases, the final drive shaft is about the same as it would be in an
inboard, but the engine is out of the way rather than taking up another 5 or 6
feet of
cabin space below decks.

Outdrives have the advantage of moving the engine all the way to the transom,
and freeing up more space in the hull. Disadvantages are maintenance related.
Outdrives can be very expensive indeed,
often requiring "rebuilds" like an engine.
A standard inboard transmission is a very simple device. I replaced the
original inboard tranny on my boat at about the 20-year mark. No way would most
people expect to get that kind of service from an outdrive.

One disadvantage of an outdrive is the fact that your transmission is dangling
in the water behind the boat. Hitting a log with an outdrive can be far more
more serious than
just hammering out a dinged prop.

I happen to have a SeaRay 350 with nearly new twin
Yanmar diesels for sale. See it at yachtworld.com
Search for SeaRay 35-40 feet $100,000 to $120,000

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:13:27 -0400, Nekto Poli
wrote:

Should I be looking for a V-Drive config or an Inboard/Outdrive(stern
drive) setup?

NP

Your mileage may, and probably does differ. I don't know everything nor do I claim to. I have hauled all kinds of things all over the country for forty years and have made most mistakes that can be made. I call that experience. My real e-mail addy is

Velvet Drive Slipping Keith General 0 August 4th 03 02:23 PM
Buying used tips: 2001 Sea Ray BR 185 General 10 August 4th 03 04:50 AM
Test Drive Advice... alincoln General 15 August 2nd 03 03:53 PM
Trolling motor on a 21 foot boat? F330 GT General 7 July 31st 03 06:00 AM
Buying an Outboard Online or Mail Order Tony Thomas General 3 July 16th 03 02:35 PM