alincoln

Default Test Drive Advice...

Hi all,

New to the boating scene. I am in the market for a bowrider, 18-19'.
I have been reading all the literature I could find and have been
walking thru marinas over the last month. I have one question posted
already on boat manufacturers and materials they use, but another
question has come up...

Now that I'm ready to start test-drives on these things, what can I
expect from the marina/sales team. For instance, am I required to
have a vehicle with the trailer hitch so I can tow the boat to a boat
launch? Or is that something the marina should be doing? Or does it
vary depending on how much money you're spending on the boat?

thx,

adym
Tony Thomas

By definition, a Marina is on the water already. If your talking about a
marine dealer off the water, they probably won't allow a test drive unless
they have a demo model and then they will take it to the lake and launch w/
you. If used, then you will probably have to haul yourself.

Most dealers don't allow test drives on new boats since they have to install
a battery, fuel, oil, and check out first. Then if you don't buy it, they
have a used battery, engine w/ fuel that has to be conditioned and possible
winterized. You might actually be an honest person who is ready to buy
based on the ride but a lot of people just want a ride knowing that they
really want something else.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"alincoln" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

New to the boating scene. I am in the market for a bowrider, 18-19'.
I have been reading all the literature I could find and have been
walking thru marinas over the last month. I have one question posted
already on boat manufacturers and materials they use, but another
question has come up...

Now that I'm ready to start test-drives on these things, what can I
expect from the marina/sales team. For instance, am I required to
have a vehicle with the trailer hitch so I can tow the boat to a boat
launch? Or is that something the marina should be doing? Or does it
vary depending on how much money you're spending on the boat?

thx,

adym

Rural Knight

I can only speak to marinas on the water. Usually, they
will have one or two "demo" boats available for use. As
to used boats, they will usually allow a test drive with a down
payment on the boat - I know, it sounds stupid, but it's
as Tony said - nobody wants to waste fuel just for a ride
(and it does happen).

I do demos all the time for a dealer in CT, but that's because
I happen to have two boats, a center console and a bass
boat. It is a pain though because sometimes I'm not available
for various reasons or I just don't feel like it, but I do it anyway
because the dealer is a friend and he pays my gas.

Usually, demos aren't part of the boat sales package. Some
will, some won't.

The best advice is to do your homework, make sure you are
going in the appropriate direction, pick your make/model/engine
package and then talk some turkey.

You would be amazed what sales folk will do once they know
you are serious and ready to do a deal.

Good luck.

Tom

"alincoln" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

New to the boating scene. I am in the market for a bowrider, 18-19'.
I have been reading all the literature I could find and have been
walking thru marinas over the last month. I have one question posted
already on boat manufacturers and materials they use, but another
question has come up...

Now that I'm ready to start test-drives on these things, what can I
expect from the marina/sales team. For instance, am I required to
have a vehicle with the trailer hitch so I can tow the boat to a boat
launch? Or is that something the marina should be doing? Or does it
vary depending on how much money you're spending on the boat?

thx,

adym

Steve Barker

I would not deal with a dealer that didn't offer a test drive of the exact
model I was considering. Find a dealer willing to take you to, or meet you
at a body of water or find another dealer. Some even have prior customers
they arrange rides with in the case of boats that are not in stock. Don't
let them jerk you around, it's your money and there is plenty of dealers
willing to be friendly.

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
"alincoln" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

New to the boating scene. I am in the market for a bowrider, 18-19'.
I have been reading all the literature I could find and have been
walking thru marinas over the last month. I have one question posted
already on boat manufacturers and materials they use, but another
question has come up...

Now that I'm ready to start test-drives on these things, what can I
expect from the marina/sales team. For instance, am I required to
have a vehicle with the trailer hitch so I can tow the boat to a boat
launch? Or is that something the marina should be doing? Or does it
vary depending on how much money you're spending on the boat?

thx,

adym

Larry

On 29 Jul 2003 10:26:09 -0700, (alincoln)
wrote:

Hi all,

New to the boating scene. I am in the market for a bowrider, 18-19'.
I have been reading all the literature I could find and have been
walking thru marinas over the last month. I have one question posted
already on boat manufacturers and materials they use, but another
question has come up...

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
This is what a Sea Ray (or any Brunswick Bubbleboat) looks like
inside....putty? Where's the beef?!

Now that I'm ready to start test-drives on these things, what can I
expect from the marina/sales team. For instance, am I required to
have a vehicle with the trailer hitch so I can tow the boat to a boat
launch? Or is that something the marina should be doing? Or does it
vary depending on how much money you're spending on the boat?

Salesman launches the boat and waits for buyer at the dock.....

Salesman welcomes buyer to the boat he's trying to unload on him with
friendly smile and helps the wife aboard pointing out the amenities
she's looking for in a boat.

Salesman demos boat and when we're safely away from anything an idiot
buyer might cram into before salesman can save the company's property,
he lets buyer drive the boat for a while, keeping close eye on nearly
empty gas guage he started with to keep demo ride SHORT and sweet.

"Were nearly out of gas.", saleman notices all of a sudden. "We'd
better head back before we run out.", he continues worrying the wife
and shortening the demo ride. It's almost lunch time!

Demo ride is over, salesman coaxes it back to dock and tries to act
professional as it wanders all over the place while he's desparately
trying to hide this ugliness from buyer.

A little advise on your demo ride......................

Any boat will go like hell on a demo with 4 gallons of gas and 2 or 3
people aboard.....no "stuff" loading her down. Expect it to be harder
to plane once the wife gets the "stuff" loaded up.

YOUR boat will spend HOURS at IDLE THROTTLE in the ever increasingly
restrictive NO WAKE ZONES.......

BE DAMNED SURE YOU RUN THE BOAT AT NO WAKE SPEED FOR AT LEAST 10
MINUTES WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING IT TO SEE HOW BAD IT WANDERS ALL OVER
THE PLACE WITH YOU DESPARATELY TRYING TO HOLD IT ON COURSE!!......See
why? Some really NICE boats just SUCK in a no-wake zone as you fight
the wheel against "Stern Drive Wander" running the wheel back and
forth and back and forth.....WILL IT STEER FAIRLY STRAIGHT IN A NO
WAKE ZONE? If not.....RUN!

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"

Jack Redington

Any boat dealer that is near the water and will not allow you to take a
test drive should be avoided. I have not found one that was not willing
to drag a model that I was intested in to the nearest lake for a test
run. (except one)

Capt Jack R..

Tony Thomas wrote:

By definition, a Marina is on the water already. If your talking about a
marine dealer off the water, they probably won't allow a test drive unless
they have a demo model and then they will take it to the lake and launch w/
you. If used, then you will probably have to haul yourself.

Most dealers don't allow test drives on new boats since they have to install
a battery, fuel, oil, and check out first. Then if you don't buy it, they
have a used battery, engine w/ fuel that has to be conditioned and possible
winterized. You might actually be an honest person who is ready to buy
based on the ride but a lot of people just want a ride knowing that they
really want something else.

Larry

Hi, Wally. Thought I'd come back to watch the floggins for a little
while. I'm back from Florida. Sailed a great Amel Sharpi back, 3
weeks ago. Fantastic cruising ketch. Handled 15' swells very well in
some squalls we ran into. We all felt very secure in such a DEEP
cockpit under the hardtop and windscreen. Sure was nice not having
all that bimini canvas flapping away in the storms. Draw a rhumbline
from Titusville to Charleston. There's sure no shortage of
bottlenosed dolphins and flying fish...(c;

I was sitting in the cockpit just off helm watch when a flying fish
flew straight into David's belly at the helm. This was about midnight
and I thought he was going to jump into the cabin...(c; God the fish
smell is hard to get out of anything they touch....PU! Nice catch,
pan sized about 14" long. Pretty blue, too! Too bad Rainbow Trout
don't have wings...hee hee.

Boat pulled up to the dock after 3 weeks in the boatyard doing mods
and maintenance for its new owner, my buddy Geoff. I think I got a
hint on the cellphone when he called me and told me he was pulling up
to its dock, wanting me to come down to start installing all the new
electronic toys and pull wires. It's got 2 new AC units so the
working will be much more pleasurable this summer. He had the yard
remove the diesel heater. It's 94F outside!

Thanks for your comment....Nice to see you, again, too.

Ok, back to the floggings....

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:39:19 -0400, WaIIy
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:07:25 GMT, (Larry) wrote:

Larry W4CSC

Good to see you.

73 de Larry W4CharlestonSC
RF radiation hazards since 1957...

alincoln

(Larry) wrote in message ...

snip
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
This is what a Sea Ray (or any Brunswick Bubbleboat) looks like
inside....putty? Where's the beef?!

/snip

I'll check it out...

snip
BE DAMNED SURE YOU RUN THE BOAT AT NO WAKE SPEED FOR AT LEAST 10
MINUTES WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING IT TO SEE HOW BAD IT WANDERS ALL OVER
THE PLACE WITH YOU DESPARATELY TRYING TO HOLD IT ON COURSE!!......See
why? Some really NICE boats just SUCK in a no-wake zone as you fight
the wheel against "Stern Drive Wander" running the wheel back and
forth and back and forth.....WILL IT STEER FAIRLY STRAIGHT IN A NO
WAKE ZONE? If not.....RUN!

Larry W4CSC

/snip

Larry et al,

Thanks a bunch. This was just the thing I needed to see/hear. I
would never have considered running a boat at NO WAKE speed...I would
have blindly run it at normal to above normal speed in an effort to
test the top end. No one ever thinks to test the bottom end...

The other thing I want to test is the ride in choppy waters...I'm test
driving a Larson on Sat...Just hope the rain holds off and there's a
little shop on the water...

adym

Harry Krause

Steve Barker wrote:

All v-hulls wander to some degree at that speed. I certainly wouldn't judge
a boat solely on that little item.

Many, but not all, vee hnlls wander at that speed. It's a non-issue.
Larry is no boating expert.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

purchasing a Bayliner 3058 any advice??? Rob General 2 June 22nd 06 05:10 PM
Bowrider Purchase Advice... alincoln General 6 August 1st 03 07:09 AM
test Robert Hutton General 0 July 28th 03 06:35 AM
Need a new truck (advice, please?) Butch Ammon General 28 July 22nd 03 02:44 PM
Prop advice for Volvo Penta Joseph General 2 July 11th 03 02:17 AM