Gregory McGuire

Default prop advise needed

Hello experienced boaters,

I have had my boat for a month now and out 4 times with it. The prop which
came with the boat has a ding in it, (had the ding when I got it.) I need
good advice on a new prop and maybe- maybe there is a deal out there for new
prop.
Or should I get my prop reconditioned by a prop shop. I live in the san
francisco bay area is there a prop shop nearby.
I have been using the boat for water skiing, and truthfully I am barely able
to get up on a single.
I weigh in at 165-170 currently.
There is this prop advertized on the internet he
http://www.piranhapropellers.com/PropDesign.htm
Actually it looks like a great invention.
Anybody ever used a piranha prop before - think this thing is any good?
Here is a picture of my prop with ding: 238924 bytes
http://users.rcn.com/neptunium/boat/prop.jpg
Here is evidence of cavitation eating away the metal of the prop 241514
bytes
http://users.rcn.com/neptunium/boat/prop1.jpg
Can an aluminum prop be repaired that has cavitation damage? And still run
good?

Advice on how to buy a prop? does the nada guides describe the boat with the
motor as a combined weight, or the boat with no motor - then add weight of
outboard motor.
boat is 1975 bayliner mutiny: nada guides says 900 lbs
engine is '85 90HP mercury: inline 6 = about 300 lbs

Greg

Tony Thomas

First - Getting up on a slalom behind that boat is going to be a chore no
matter what prop you use.
You can purchase a new aluminum prop for the cost of repairing this one. I
would throw this one in the garage as a spare and not worry about getting it
fixed.
As for a new prop - I would seriously consider a 4 blade prop (aluminum will
be fine for your application and will save you some money). The 4 blade
will give you good acceleration for pulling. You don't say what size the
current prop is or what your rpms at wide open throttle with 2 people on
board are. I assume they are in the right range for your motor. Tell the
prop place you purchase from what your current prop and rpms are and they
can get you the right size.

I personally don't like the plastic prop. Too much deflection in the
blades.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Gregory McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Woodchuck

That's a lot more than what I would call a DING! Prop-shops can make that
look new again. As for your skiing issue with only 90hp the only suggestion
I have is to drop pitch size down and watch your WOT RPM. 4 blades may help
but you may have issues getting the RPM to increase fast enough on take off
so the engine will not bog down.

[...]

Rod McInnis

"Gregory McGuire" wrote in message

Advice on how to buy a prop?

If you are happy with the prop you have, then get it repaired and keep using
it.

If you are not happy with the prop you have , get it repaired and keep it as
a spare. Then find one that will make you happier.

Many of the boat shops have "loaner props" that they will allow you to try
out, either free of charge (large deposit required) or on cheap rental
basis. I know Boat Masters in Dublin, California and Larsens Marine, in
Stockton have such loaner props. Find such a shop, see what they have
available. I would suggest trying one with a little less pitch than you
have now and see if that makes it easier to get you up on the ski.

Rod

Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
Volvo 270 outdrive prop cone replacement? Bob General 5 May 18th 04 08:57 PM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
Power2 Torque-shift prop information needed TIA Mike Krupt General 0 August 6th 03 07:32 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM