Bob

Default Volvo 270 outdrive prop cone replacement?

I want to replace the prop cone on my Volvo 270 outdrive however in
looking at an exploded view, I see a discrepancy between what my boat
has and the exploded views I've found on the web.

Here is a link to the exploded view:

http://216.37.204.206/Actionsports/V...e=13&A=18&B=44

Mine does not have part #35A, rather the prop cone has indentations on
the flat side which mate to the washer (part 36) and you bend the tabs
either up into the indentations in the prop cone if you're installing a
prop, or down and away from the prop cone indentations if you want to
remove the prop cone and prop.

I should also probably mention that I do not use a prop screw that is
shown in the above diagram. I bought a screw at one time but found that
there is nothing for it to thread into once I stick it through the prop
cone...the end of the prop shaft, which is where I presume it normally
screws into, is solid on my outdrive. Now that I think about it, I'm
not even sure that my prop cone has a hole in the end for a prop screw
to go into. Will check when I get home.

Here is a better link to those parts, they are just not shown in an
exploded view fashion:

http://ebasicpower.american-data.net...ory_Code=VOL4A

Here is an exact picture of what I have, and it's listed for a Volvo
250 outdrive:

http://216.37.204.206/Actionsports/V...e=13&A=18&B=40

I called Action Sports and they were not really any help as they don't
stock parts. There are lots of places that have the setup as shown for
the 270 outdrive, but since my setup matches the 250, I'm not sure if
that will work or not.

Anyone know for sure if what I have now can be replaced by what is
shown for the 270 in the uppermost diagram? Or do I have to stick with
what is shown for the 250 drive? The prop cone part numbers for both
seem to be the same.

Thanks!

Bob D.

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that there were two prop shaft
sizes for older volvo outdrives. Part #35A is only necessary when using a
prop designed for the shorter prop shaft on the longer prop shaft.

Hope this helps.

Bob Dimond
Bob D.

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that there were two prop shaft
LENGTHS for older volvo outdrives. Part #35A is only necessary when using a
prop designed for the SHORTER PROP length on the longer prop shaft.

Bob Dimond

In article ,
(Bob D.) wrote:

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that there were two prop shaft
sizes for older volvo outdrives. Part #35A is only necessary when using a
prop designed for the shorter prop shaft on the longer prop shaft.

Hope this helps.

Bob Dimond

Bob

Thanks Bob...the biggest question now seems to be how I can be sure
that the prop cone I order is one that has indentations in it to accep
the tangs on the lock tab washer. From all indications, the standard
cone for the 270 drive does not have them, even though I have a 270
drive with the indented prop cone.

Bob