christopher krigbaum

Default Prop

Well due to an accident I have a bent and cracked prop and need to replace.
The accident involved my wife moving the boat around the driveway without a
vehicle and without tilting the motor up, she lifted the hitch end of the
trailer up too high and the back end of the boat slammed the pavement.

I was told by the previous owner to keep a few spare "shear pins" handy in
the boat in case of a prop strike on the water. Apparently these pins are
supposed to break instead of the prop in this situation. Well tonight I
removed the prop to take with me to the boat store for a replacement and I
just can't see how this thing would work. What I see is the first 2 inches
or so of the shaft is threaded followed by 7 or 8 inches of straight slots.
The prop is groved to fit the shaft slots and there is a washer after the
prop also grooved to fit the slots. A lock nut then fits on the threads and
a pin is placed through a hole in the shaft and grooves in the nut to
prevent the nut from working itself loose. I am assuming this is the shear
pin.

It seems to me the only thing this pin does is secure the nut from slipping
off the end of the shaft. Is it just me or is the idea that this pin will
break and save a prop false? I really don't see how this would work since
the nut is well threaded on to the shaft (at least an inch) and the shaft is
slotted to fit grooves in the prop. I can't see this pin breaking, the nut
slipping off, and the prop sliding off the grooves fast enough to prevent
damage to the prop, shaft, lower unit and other parts of the motor. Is there
something here I'm not seeing? Have I mistaken this pin for the shear pin?

Tony Thomas

Your motor does not have a shear pin. A shear pin is like on a trolling
motor prop where the pin is put thru the shaft and into the prop. The pin
is all that holds the prop to the shaft for turning and if the pin breaks -
you have no way to keep the prop shaft from turning inside the prop hub.

Just take your prop and get a new one. Rebuild will probably be as much as
a new one for this rig.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"christopher krigbaum" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Peter Higgins

Christopher,
You are dead right in that the pin you are talking about should be a split
pin that is there purely to stop the nut from coming undone and is not a
shear pin.
The standard mechanismis for saving the prop or drive train is a rubber bush
in the propellor hub and a mechanism that allows the outboard or stern leg
to pop up if it hits something substantial while motoring - these still
won't generally save the prop though.

Regrads

Pete

[...]

christopher krigbaum

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
You could start by telling us what engine you have! Information is POWER!

I guess that may have helped huh? Sorry about that. It's a Johnson 30hp. And
thanks to Tony and Pete. They confirmed what I already suspected.

Volvo 270 outdrive prop cone replacement? Bob General 5 May 18th 04 08:57 PM
Force Prop for 50HP outboard Bob La Londe General 2 April 28th 04 02:23 AM
Stainless Prop selection question Christopher Rugg General 2 April 12th 04 09:13 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM