Ken Ibold

Default new Johnson outboards?

I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Hurricane deck boat at what seems to be
a great price. However, it's equipped with a 140 hp 4-stroke Johnson. The
dealers I've talked to say the new Johnsons are lousy engines and that 140
hp isn't enough for a 2600 pound boat. Performance issues aside, is there
any reason to shy away from Johnsons? This boat has only 7 hours on it.

CCred68046

I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Hurricane deck boat at what seems to be
a great price. However, it's equipped with a 140 hp 4-stroke Johnson. The
dealers I've talked to say the new Johnsons are lousy engines and that 140
hp isn't enough for a 2600 pound boat. Performance issues aside, is there
any reason to shy away from Johnsons? This boat has only 7 hours on it.

1. 140 hp is plenty for a deck boat. Most folks dont buy a deck boat for high
performance.

2. I'd be willing to bet the dealers that told you the Johnson was a lousy
motor didnt sell them.

3. I'm not aware of any design problems with this motor that would make it any
better or worse than the other new ones out there. If you ask me, most of the
new outboards are service nightmares compared to the old ones.

4. As with anything else on a boat, that motor will be as good as the care and
maintenance you give it. I have seen practically new Mercs and Yamahas junked
from lack of or incorrect maintenence. I see old Chryslers out there from the
60's still running because someone took CARE of them.

If you like the boat that much and are worried about performance, have them put
it in the water for you and try it. If they think you are a serious buyer and
wont do that I would go somewhere else.

Ken Ibold

"del cecchi" wrote in message
Isnt' the 140 HP Johnson 4stroke really a Suzuki with different paint?
From what I've seen, the Suzuki 4strokes are pretty good motors.

Don't know about in the past, but I think Johnson is made by Bombardier now,
as is Evinrude.

FishFan

"del cecchi" wrote in message ...

Isnt' the 140 HP Johnson 4stroke really a Suzuki with different paint?

Yes they are...

From what I've seen, the Suzuki 4strokes are pretty good motors.

.... and Yes they are.

I wouldn't touch a Ficht/E-Tec with a ten foot pole, and I would even
be a little leary of the Bankruptcy era J/E two-strokes (99-01), but
the Suzuki built 4-strokes have a pretty good rep, at least up to the
140 size. The jury's still out on the new 225/250, but so far I've
heard only good... but that's from only two people with brand new
motors.

FishFan

Rich Stern

I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Hurricane deck boat at what seems to be
a great price. However, it's equipped with a 140 hp 4-stroke Johnson. The
dealers I've talked to say the new Johnsons are lousy engines and that 140
hp isn't enough for a 2600 pound boat. Performance issues aside, is there
any reason to shy away from Johnsons? This boat has only 7 hours on it.

What's the max hp rating on the boat?

If it's propped correctly and you aren't after maximum speed, it can probably
work very nicely. Drive it with a handful of people aboard to be sure.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Ken Ibold

"Rich Stern" wrote in message

What's the max hp rating on the boat?

If it's propped correctly and you aren't after maximum speed, it can

probably
work very nicely. Drive it with a handful of people aboard to be sure.

Max is allowable is 225. We're not really after blistering performance and
expect the boat to be toward the sluggish end of the acceptable scale. My
primary concern is over the quality of the engine and what it bodes for
maintenance and down time.

1973 Johnson Controls question.. WHAT THE HECK HOLDS THEM ON? [email protected] General 0 May 30th 04 04:38 PM
OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM