del cecchi

Default new Johnson outboards?

Isnt' the 140 HP Johnson 4stroke really a Suzuki with different paint?
From what I've seen, the Suzuki 4strokes are pretty good motors.

"CCred68046" wrote in message
I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Hurricane deck boat at what seems

to be
a great price. However, it's equipped with a 140 hp 4-stroke Johnson.

The
dealers I've talked to say the new Johnsons are lousy engines and

that 140
hp isn't enough for a 2600 pound boat. Performance issues aside, is

there
any reason to shy away from Johnsons? This boat has only 7 hours on

it.

1. 140 hp is plenty for a deck boat. Most folks dont buy a deck boat

for high
performance.

2. I'd be willing to bet the dealers that told you the Johnson was a

lousy
motor didnt sell them.

3. I'm not aware of any design problems with this motor that would

make it any
better or worse than the other new ones out there. If you ask me,

most of the
new outboards are service nightmares compared to the old ones.

4. As with anything else on a boat, that motor will be as good as the

care and
maintenance you give it. I have seen practically new Mercs and

Yamahas junked
from lack of or incorrect maintenence. I see old Chryslers out there

from the
60's still running because someone took CARE of them.

If you like the boat that much and are worried about performance, have

them put
it in the water for you and try it. If they think you are a serious

buyer and
wont do that I would go somewhere else.