Don White

Default The re-construction?

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the
next step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American
taxpayer, I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?
thunder

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:03:28 +0000, Don White wrote:

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the next
step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American taxpayer,
I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were. Ideally,
housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious reasons...but
what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...? -maybe a
backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

If it isn't waived, FEMA has a 50% rule. If a house is damaged more than
50% of it's fair marked value, it has to be rebuilt according to modern
standards. These include elevating the structure above expected flood
levels.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=15423

You really have to wonder what is going to happen to New Orleans. You
have to expect that any house that has been under water for weeks will
have to be bulldozed. It is going to be an enormous task, and New Orleans
will never be the same. I would expect a considerable portion of the
displaced not to return. Add to the threat of hurricanes, this:

http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/oldriver.htm

Or if Tulane ever gets back online:

http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envir...oodControl.htm
PocoLoco

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:03:28 GMT, Don White wrote:

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the
next step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American
taxpayer, I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

Call the Dutch. They know how to build dikes that work.
--
John H

Don White wrote:
Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the
next step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American
taxpayer, I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

New Orleans as at the receiving end of a ruined eco-system.
Too many dikes and not enough drainage upstream.
100 years ago, there would have been some flooding associated with an
event like Katrina, but there would have been a higher number of
nuisance floods rather than this catastrophe we see now. Shame that
people who live upstream and who have channeled their own share of the
problem down to the folks below would ever say, "Why did those folks
down there build like that? They ought not be allowed!"

Don White

PocoLoco wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:03:28 GMT, Don White wrote:

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the
next step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American
taxpayer, I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

Call the Dutch. They know how to build dikes that work.

The forefathers of your Cajuns built dikes up here that have lasted 250
years. On the other hand, we don't get many hurricanes...they are
usually downgraded to tropical storms this far north.
http://www.valleyweb.com/acadians/
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/salt...cadians_e.html

ed

Last I read was they are planning on rebuilding New Orleans where it is. I
think this is a grave mistake as it is below sea level and could be hit
again. Just my opinion lol
Ed
"Don White" wrote in message
Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the next
step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American taxpayer,
I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

Starbucks

Thunder,

My son goes to Columbia in New York City, I talked to him last night, and he
told me Columbia accepted a number of students from Tulane. It looks like
Tulane is working with all the students and colleges across the country to
try to find a place for them to attend school for the 2005-2006 school year.
It is very unusual for any school to be accepting a student after the school
year has started, especially the smaller schools, like Columbia. Since most
schools have maxed out their capacity by spring, they are scrambling to try
to find Dorms and rooms for the Tulane Refugees.

Besides Tulane there are 8 other colleges in NO. There are over 55,000 who
are looking for a place to attend college.

"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

Do not subsidize flood insurance and the problem will go away. Without
flood insurance and FEMA help, very few would rebuild there.

thunder

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:20:36 -0400, PocoLoco wrote:

Call the Dutch. They know how to build dikes that work.

Not always.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...-Flood-of-1953