david

Default preferred (best) construction for blue water cruising

interested in the collective thoughts of the group re latest thoughts on ---
for the blue water cruiser

* preferred types of hull and deck construction

* preferred length

* any better boats i should consider

* Beneteau - any good ?

cheers and thank you

david

DSK

"david" wrote
interested in the collective thoughts of the group re latest thoughts
on ---
for the blue water cruiser

Do you mean long-term living aboard and passagemaking?

* preferred types of hull and deck construction

Strong. Built in accordance with ABS or ABYC specs, or Lloyds 100A1 if
they still do that. Were you asking what material? I happen to like
fiberglass, but aluminum & cold-molded wood are also very good. The
truth is that any material is good *if* it is built & maintained
properly. Every material has it's drawbacks.

* preferred length

What's your agenda? For how many people? My wife and were looking at
boats between 37' and 45' LOA, between 6 and 9 tons disp. When you
consider finances and maintenance, smaller is better.

* any better boats i should consider

* Beneteau - any good ?

About average or slightly above, for a mass-produced boat, I'd say.

There are some mass-produced and mass-marketed boats that stand out in
quality of original build... by this I mean not only good work in
laminating the hull but also bonding in the structure, wiring
installation, rigging, choice & installation of propulsion.... there a
million details that require careful attention, expert labor, and
quality materials. That is why premium boats, such as an Oyster or a
Morris or a Swan, cost so darn much. But usually, the mass-produced
boats might make one or two models, for a few years only, that are
outstanding, and the rest of their output is crap.

OTOH neglect and misuse can degrade or destroy any boat no matter how
well built. If you're looking at 2nd-hand boats (as only makes sense),
then you're better off with a well maintained Morgan or Pearson than a
beat-up Baltic.

gonefishiing wrote:
http://www.morrisyachts.com/index.html

I really like the new 36... gorgeous boat! I bet it's fun to sail, too.
But not really a good long term cruiser.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

"david" wrote in message news:1097811902.985332@webserver...
interested in the collective thoughts of the group re latest thoughts on ---
for the blue water cruiser

* preferred types of hull and deck construction

Steel

* preferred length

42 foot

* any better boats i should consider

No

* Beneteau - any good ?

No they suck! and have loose floorboards.

Have you thought about getting a Mac?

Joe

cheers and thank you

david