Don White

PocoLoco wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:03:28 GMT, Don White wrote:

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the
next step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American
taxpayer, I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were.
Ideally, housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious
reasons...but what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...?
-maybe a backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

Call the Dutch. They know how to build dikes that work.

The forefathers of your Cajuns built dikes up here that have lasted 250
years. On the other hand, we don't get many hurricanes...they are
usually downgraded to tropical storms this far north.
http://www.valleyweb.com/acadians/
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/salt...cadians_e.html