thunder

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:03:28 +0000, Don White wrote:

Since I'm removed from the 'blame game', I thought I'd move on to the next
step. What to do when the water receeds. If I was an American taxpayer,
I'd be concerned about just returning things as they were. Ideally,
housing would not be re-built below sea level for obvious reasons...but
what can be done?
-simply reinforcing and adding height to current levees...? -maybe a
backup system of aquaducts..that would be mostly dry but could
handle any overflow if original levee breaks again?
-house 'workers' distance away from workplace (high ground) but provide
highspeed rail public transportation?
-simply re-build houses, but on concrete stilts 10 feet above ground?

If it isn't waived, FEMA has a 50% rule. If a house is damaged more than
50% of it's fair marked value, it has to be rebuilt according to modern
standards. These include elevating the structure above expected flood
levels.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=15423

You really have to wonder what is going to happen to New Orleans. You
have to expect that any house that has been under water for weeks will
have to be bulldozed. It is going to be an enormous task, and New Orleans
will never be the same. I would expect a considerable portion of the
displaced not to return. Add to the threat of hurricanes, this:

http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/oldriver.htm

Or if Tulane ever gets back online:

http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envir...oodControl.htm