Harry Krause

Default John Herring, Coinsider Yourself Warned!

Rare Bacteria Kills Maryland Fisherman
Health Officials: Some Swimmers Should Avoid Chesapeake Bay

UPDATED: 11:59 am EDT August 12, 2005

EASTON, Md. -- A fisherman has died from a rare bacteria growing in the
Chesapeake Bay.

Maryland health officials are warning everyone to learn about vibrio
vulnificus, which killed the man, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

Talbot County, Md., health officials said the naturally occurring
bacteria evolves in an organism that leads to a bacterial infection.

Fisherman and business owner Rennie Gay said he knew the victim and
expressed surprise that these waters could have led to his friend's death.

"I'm very shocked because you certainly don't want it passed on to
anyone else, and we just hope it was a very isolated case," Gay said.

Health officials said this is indeed a rare case for Maryland. The last
person infected with vibrio vulnificus died 25 years ago. Nationwide,
about 100 people become sick from the infection each year, mostly in
Gulf Coast states.

Dr. Ann Webb, the county's deputy health officer, said the bacteria has
returned.

"Well, this year, the weather is much warmer than usual; therefore, we
suspect, and now it has been confirmed by the Department of Natural
Resources, that the bay temperature is warmer than it was last year,"
she said.

Health officials suggest that, for the time being, people should not eat
raw seafood from the bay, and some swimmers should consider keeping out
of the water.

"If they have an open, fresh, new skin lesion, I would recommend that
they avoid the water and rinse it off well with fresh water and watch
it. Then, once it heals, then you can certainly go into the water," Webb
said.

Webb said symptoms of the bacteria include fever, vomiting, diarrhea and
an obvious infection of the skin.

"It's a pretty virulent organism. If it gets in your body, it can spread
pretty rapidly," Webb said.

Anyone whose immune system is compromised is more susceptible to the
bacteria. But anyone can get it, and the organism can lead to death
within 48 hours if not treated with antibiotics, the television station
reported.

Health officials ask anyone concerned that they may have come in contact
with the bacteria to consult their doctor immediately.

- - -

Our boy Herring prides himself on catching and handling fish from the Bay.

John H.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:42:51 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

WOW!

A non-political, non-name calling, non-cut'n'paste post by Harry Krause!

You did GOOD, Harry!

Does this mean you're getting over your masturbation fascination?

Now, if we could get basskisser to tell the truth about his Moto Guzzi 'Desmo',
we'd have accomplished something worthwhile today!

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

[...]

There was a dentist in Lousiana (or one of the other northern Gulf states)
who died of this not too long ago. It really only affects people with
immunosuppression (diabetes, immunglobin deficiency, AIDS, lupus, etc).

A lot of guys around here keep a spray bottle full of bleach on board and
spray their hands as soon as they get a cut or abrasion. If you're healthy,
you really have little to worry about..

"Harry K wrote:"

Our boy Herring prides himself on catching and handling fish from the
Bay.

This post has me very confused. Harry likes to brag about how often he goes
fishing and how succesful he is. He prides himself on catch and releasing
the fish.

If Harry catches all these fish, and releases all these fish, how is he not
handling fish from the Bay?

Is it possible that Harry's fish stories are just like his Yale degree, his
Dr. Dr. wife, his Lobster Boat and his successful career?

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:
[...]

But that bleach...it plays havoc with your tan.

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, "NOYB" wrote:

There was a dentist in Lousiana (or one of the other northern Gulf states)
who died of this not too long ago. It really only affects people with
immunosuppression (diabetes, immunglobin deficiency, AIDS, lupus, etc).

Not really true. *All* persons are "at risk" although persons with
underlying medical conditions are at *greater* risk.... and a much
greater risk of fatality. It accounts for about 85 hospitalizations
per year nationwide.... and about half of those from the Gulf. These
occurrences are also underreported... so make your own guess how many
people get sick and just suck it up....

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~research/RinR/vibrio.html
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...lnificus_t.htm

A lot of guys around here keep a spray bottle full of bleach on board and
spray their hands as soon as they get a cut or abrasion. If you're healthy,
you really have little to worry about..

I don't know about you, but I worry about vomiting, diarrhea, and
abdominal pain... kinda makes me *want* to die. However, I think I'm
gonna throw a bottle of spray bleach on the boat.... water
temperature? 83.9F

Cook the damn seafood....

I avoid as much as possible handling the fish I catch in the bay. I can
pop a lot of them off the hook without bringing them into the boat. I
sometimes wear a pair of lightweight gloves when I handle fish, but I
don't always remember. I also wash my hands a lot with antiseptic soap
and fresh water while I'm fishing. But I still end up handling the
occasional fish. I do worry about it.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:13:16 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

~~ snip ~~

I don't know about you, but I worry about vomiting, diarrhea, and
abdominal pain... kinda makes me *want* to die. However, I think I'm
gonna throw a bottle of spray bleach on the boat.... water
temperature? 83.9F

Just a point of order - spraying even a mild solution of bleach on
skin or an open wound of some sort, is a really dumb idea.

Use a spray like Bactine or Neosporin - lightly at that.

Later,

Tom

Email decoder:

Remove onetwothree, replace with info,
Remove four, replace with swsports,
Remove com, replace with org.
Harry Krause

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:13:16 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

~~ snip ~~

I don't know about you, but I worry about vomiting, diarrhea, and
abdominal pain... kinda makes me *want* to die. However, I think I'm
gonna throw a bottle of spray bleach on the boat.... water
temperature? 83.9F

Just a point of order - spraying even a mild solution of bleach on
skin or an open wound of some sort, is a really dumb idea.

Use a spray like Bactine or Neosporin - lightly at that.

Later,

Tom

Email decoder:

Remove onetwothree, replace with info,
Remove four, replace with swsports,
Remove com, replace with org.

I just have one of the cats lick my wounds, just like they lick theirs. :)
John H.

[...]

Gotta admit, I don't worry about it much.

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, "NOYB" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

There was a dentist in Lousiana (or one of the other northern Gulf states)
who died of this not too long ago. It really only affects people with
immunosuppression (diabetes, immunglobin deficiency, AIDS, lupus, etc).

Having one of these deficiencies, I try not to handle fish as much as
possible. Sometimes, it's difficult do to, but I carry a anti-bac
wash, wipes and a spray - just depends on what the situation is.