Harry Krause

Default John Herring, Coinsider Yourself Warned!

Rare Bacteria Kills Maryland Fisherman
Health Officials: Some Swimmers Should Avoid Chesapeake Bay

UPDATED: 11:59 am EDT August 12, 2005

EASTON, Md. -- A fisherman has died from a rare bacteria growing in the
Chesapeake Bay.

Maryland health officials are warning everyone to learn about vibrio
vulnificus, which killed the man, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

Talbot County, Md., health officials said the naturally occurring
bacteria evolves in an organism that leads to a bacterial infection.

Fisherman and business owner Rennie Gay said he knew the victim and
expressed surprise that these waters could have led to his friend's death.

"I'm very shocked because you certainly don't want it passed on to
anyone else, and we just hope it was a very isolated case," Gay said.

Health officials said this is indeed a rare case for Maryland. The last
person infected with vibrio vulnificus died 25 years ago. Nationwide,
about 100 people become sick from the infection each year, mostly in
Gulf Coast states.

Dr. Ann Webb, the county's deputy health officer, said the bacteria has
returned.

"Well, this year, the weather is much warmer than usual; therefore, we
suspect, and now it has been confirmed by the Department of Natural
Resources, that the bay temperature is warmer than it was last year,"
she said.

Health officials suggest that, for the time being, people should not eat
raw seafood from the bay, and some swimmers should consider keeping out
of the water.

"If they have an open, fresh, new skin lesion, I would recommend that
they avoid the water and rinse it off well with fresh water and watch
it. Then, once it heals, then you can certainly go into the water," Webb
said.

Webb said symptoms of the bacteria include fever, vomiting, diarrhea and
an obvious infection of the skin.

"It's a pretty virulent organism. If it gets in your body, it can spread
pretty rapidly," Webb said.

Anyone whose immune system is compromised is more susceptible to the
bacteria. But anyone can get it, and the organism can lead to death
within 48 hours if not treated with antibiotics, the television station
reported.

Health officials ask anyone concerned that they may have come in contact
with the bacteria to consult their doctor immediately.

- - -

Our boy Herring prides himself on catching and handling fish from the Bay.