Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, "NOYB" wrote:

There was a dentist in Lousiana (or one of the other northern Gulf states)
who died of this not too long ago. It really only affects people with
immunosuppression (diabetes, immunglobin deficiency, AIDS, lupus, etc).

Not really true. *All* persons are "at risk" although persons with
underlying medical conditions are at *greater* risk.... and a much
greater risk of fatality. It accounts for about 85 hospitalizations
per year nationwide.... and about half of those from the Gulf. These
occurrences are also underreported... so make your own guess how many
people get sick and just suck it up....

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~research/RinR/vibrio.html
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...lnificus_t.htm

A lot of guys around here keep a spray bottle full of bleach on board and
spray their hands as soon as they get a cut or abrasion. If you're healthy,
you really have little to worry about..

I don't know about you, but I worry about vomiting, diarrhea, and
abdominal pain... kinda makes me *want* to die. However, I think I'm
gonna throw a bottle of spray bleach on the boat.... water
temperature? 83.9F

Cook the damn seafood....

I avoid as much as possible handling the fish I catch in the bay. I can
pop a lot of them off the hook without bringing them into the boat. I
sometimes wear a pair of lightweight gloves when I handle fish, but I
don't always remember. I also wash my hands a lot with antiseptic soap
and fresh water while I'm fishing. But I still end up handling the
occasional fish. I do worry about it.