Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:
"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in.

Those boats won't float the powerhead though. A Whaler will.

Not necessarily true. Any number of outboard boats have enough flotation
properly placed to float the boat and its powerhead.
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in.

Those boats won't float the powerhead though. A Whaler will.

Not necessarily true. Any number of outboard boats have enough flotation
properly placed to float the boat and its powerhead.

Bayliners? With I/O's?

Mr Wizzard

k.net...

NOYB wrote:
"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in.

Those boats won't float the powerhead though. A Whaler will.

Not necessarily true. Any number of outboard boats have enough flotation
properly placed to float the boat and its powerhead.

Bayliners? With I/O's?

Bayliners are mostly I/O's. Very few are O/B's.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:
"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in.
Those boats won't float the powerhead though. A Whaler will.

Not necessarily true. Any number of outboard boats have enough flotation
properly placed to float the boat and its powerhead.

Bayliners? With I/O's?

The powerhead in an I/O typically is lower in the hull than an outboard
powerhead might be, and that might improve the boat's chances of
remaining afloat, if awash, assuming it has sufficient flotation.

I have seen capsized Whalers in my lifetime. They're floating, but
upside down. You put two 500-pound outboard powerheads on the stern of a
big Whaler, flip it, and then tell me it righted itself. Doubtful. If it
is awash and in heavy seas, it might flip.

NOYB wrote:
"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in.

Those boats won't float the powerhead though. A Whaler will.

Not necessarily true. Any number of outboard boats have enough flotation
properly placed to float the boat and its powerhead.

Bayliners? With I/O's?

Why do you ask? Many, if not most are I/O's.

Mr Wizzard

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...

Luckily this was a local lake fresh water incident.
Motor is nice and clean now! All that manufacturing
dust is all gone now.

Thanks.

Hi Wiz,
Just so you know; all boats built after 19?? and under 20 feet are
required to have level floatation built in. You might not be happy with

how
high out of the water it would float, but it should be enough to hang on

while waiting for help to arrive.
You should try to rinse the salt off of the engine and anything else
that might have been submerged or splashed. I would then let things dry

out
the best you can followed with a good anti corrosive spray. My choice

would
be to use CRC 6-56, but there are other products that might be suitable.
Some things you need to monitor is your wiring, starter, power trim,
Steering cable, and alternator. Any salt left in these areas could cause
problems down the road.
You probably shouldn't be talking about this incident to your dealer.
You wouldn't want to give him an excuse to void your warranty.
JIMinFL

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Not that anyone would set out to actually "test"
this, but I wonder how long it would take for
a new bayliner 175 bowrider to sink if one were
to launch without a drain plug. Anyone know ?
Ok, ok, so I need to come clean here... Yeah,
I'm stoopid, I launched without a drain plug. Yikes.
I always leave the plug in, and never take it out,
and I got complacent and haven't been doing
due diligence in checking the stupid drain plug.
Went in salt water the day before for the first
time, so I had to hose the thing out late last night.
Let it drip over night, and never thought to check
it - it's been absent from my regular routine. So,
local lake, public fishing launch area (seperate
from main rat-race launch lane, requires the
state Vehicle Use permit for fishing). Dumped
it in, tied it up, ran the truck up to park it, walked
down, untied it, got it, started it, and started to
pull out. Engine sounding a little funny, idle a
little weird, (Merc 3.0L I/O), acceleration all
weired, mushy, and just slugish. I look over
my sholder at the engine compartment, and said
now thats odd - water splashing out of the edge
of the engine cover on the bottom near the carpet.
Thought, humm, fan must be picking up water
left over from last nights hose-off, and throwing
it around the inside of the engine cover. No big.
DOH! 2.5 seconds I realized, Whoa! - I ain't
not fan - this ain't a car engine (well it is, but)...
Hol-Lee **** buckets - it sank it (no pun) that
I left the plug in. Panicsville!. Wham! - reach
over the steering wheel with both hands and
throw ALL switches upwards cause I ain't got
time to read each one to see which is the pump.
Engine chugging pretty good by now. Boat starting
to head into rocks - depth finder shows less than
2 feet. I can't let it stall, I can't let it stall, thats
all I kept saying to myself. Bang it into reverse
and jump up on that throttle and get her out from
the rocks a bit, whew, now in about 10 feet of
water just out from the launch a bit. Think quick.
Bingo, the plug is teathered (to the oil drain hose).
Without thought, wham, swan-dive off the back
of the boat, keys, smokes, rolaids, pockets full.
Flailed around the bottom, felt the plug dangling,
and fumbled around, but got it threaded in, and
hand tight. Whew, gonna need that cold beer
after THIS one I thought as I grasped the ladder.
(too bad I won't have any dry smokes, eh).
Anyways, get back up in the boat, bilage pump
pumping like a big dog, and I'm drifting towards
the rocks again. Damn. Throw her into gear,
get out more in the center, and catch my breath.
Engine still chugging and not running good at all.
Afraid to open engine cover, but I know I gotta.
Open her up, and hol-lee-****.... My engine is
drenched, water up to, and maybe past the crank,
holey f-ing crap, I just can't believe this has happened.
Sun. Sun is good. Sun is "hot", Sun dries **** I'm
thinking. Leave the cover off. Keep her running,
I can't let it stall I kept thinking. Water level. Do
I see the water level going down? No!... wtf?
Water coming out the side? yup, rolling out like
a big dog. Dang, whats taking so long then?
Calm down. Crack that beer, it'll be Ok. Smokes?
nope - all soggy, dry ones up in the truck. Balls.
Hey! - engines sounding better! (is it the beer ?)
hell no!, I just opened it. Water level ? Ahhhhh
who da man, huh? - look at dat! - water goning down.
I'll just hang out here, and let that water quit spurting
out the side. Dang, isn't it been like a half-hour now?
Andway, but the time the bilage pump was done, the
engine was bone dry from the sun, and hot enough
to fry an egg on (from the sun on that Phantom black).
Close we up, sop up the water on the carpet, and
go have fun. Dang, that was close I thought.
...or was it? 2-3 hours goes buy, the 24-oz Bug Lite's
gone, and time to start heading in. Replaying the
whole thing in my mind, I got to wondering just how
long could I have let that plug out? what would happen?
water would fill up the engine compartment to the point
that it was overflowing on the main deck, and carpet.
At whcih point, what, drain into that center section
with the door where you keep the life vests etc?
Was that pit already full? - I didn't check that while
the engine compartment was full of water. I'm thinking
that due to the design/layout of this boat (with all of
the sections/compartments and such, that it might not
sink as fast as one might think. Ideas, thoughts ?

Thanks

Wiz,

I put a clip on my boat key ring and attach the plug to the key ring. I
have seem where the service dept of marinas will attach the drain plug to
the steering wheel with a twist tie. The idea is to make it very easy not
to forgot.

PS - Put a float on the bilge pump with a lighted switch that will come on
whenever the pump is engaged. If you see the bilge pump coming on too often
or too long, you have a problem.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
[...]

seeray28

dont worry about forgetting the drain plug. There are 2 types of boaters.
Those that forgot the plug and learned from it, and those that will forget
the plug. EVERYONE does it at one point.
Get a rubber stopper from the hardware store and put it on your keychain.
That way every time you reach for the ignition you will feel the plug
Good luck and welcome to the not so fun part of boating.

Steve

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
[...]

Bill McKee

My boat informs me that the plug is not installed, by shooting a stream of
water out the side of the boat. If I wait long enough there will be 2 large
streams of water shooting out the side of the boat.
Bill