LaBomba182

Default The Bomb Under the Sink

I was going over a friends boat that he has for sale (44 Marine Trader
http://www.cencon.34sp.com/index.html) and he was showing me around because he
would like me to show the boat to a potential buyer over the Thanksgiving
holiday while he is out of town.

As he is showing me around he points out this large dent in his stainless steel
galley sink about as big as if a man punched the sink from underneath with his
closed fist. And a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch high.
When I ask him how that happened, he tells me he had mixed some chemicals
together to clean with (he could not remember just what he mixed with what
anymore) and stored them in a plastic bottle under the galley sink. A while
later he is running the boat with his wife from the bridge and they hear a loud
explosive bang!
He slowed the boat down thinking something has gone wrong with the engs. or
drive gear. After looking through the engine room and finding nothing wrong,
his wife sees fluid leaking under the galley sink cabinet and when they open
the cabinet they find that the bottle with the cleaner mix in it had exploded
with such force that the bottle cap had shot up and hit the sink causing the
large dent!
You could even see the shape of the cap in the dent!

Two thoughts came to mind:

1 Be careful what chemicals you mix together. Duh!

2 And if you are under attack by pirates, check what's under your sink, you
might just be able to make your own bottle bomb, bottle cap rocket launcher.

Capt. Bill
Gary Warner

1 Be careful what chemicals you mix together. Duh!

Dont' know if it's urban myth or true that someone died because they
were cleaning in the bathroom, used a combination of cleaners, and
the fumes made them passout, then die. Not being a chemest and
not knowing what is actually in most of those high powered cleaners,
I try to never use any two different cleaners together unless I KNOW
that it's OK.

Peggie Hall

Gary Warner wrote:
1 Be careful what chemicals you mix together. Duh!

Dont' know if it's urban myth or true that someone died because they
were cleaning in the bathroom, used a combination of cleaners, and
the fumes made them passout, then die.

It's not urban myth, and it's happened to more than one person.

Ammonia and bleach are a deadly combination...so is vinegar and
bleach--even deadlier than ammonia and bleach (which is yet another
reason why bleach should never be flushed down a marine toilet into a
holding tank). There are also other equally deadly combinations...the
chemists here will prob'ly name a few more for us.

Combining household cleaning products is an excellent way to kill
yourself...or blow up the boat if the combination is both explosive and
flammable. It's possible that the only reason Bill's friend is still
alive is because there was no source of spark under his sink.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

plantsman

I seem to recall a while back that some boys were making chemical bombs from
something combined with aluminum foil in 2 liter bottles. They were blowing
up mailboxes with them. I can't remember what the chemical was, but was
something very common.

David S.

"LaBomba182" wrote in message
[...]

Parallax

bb wrote in message . ..
On 21 Nov 2003 17:46:48 GMT, (LaBomba182) wrote:

A while
later he is running the boat with his wife from the bridge and they hear a loud
explosive bang!

I did the same thing as a kid. We snuck into a neighbor's garage and
were fooling aroung with whatever we could make trouble with. I mixed
a couple of jars of something into a bigger jar and left with it.
Rummaging around a friends garage tends to make a young un hungry so I
headed home with my jar of "stuff" to raid the refrigerator. I put
the jar on the counter, made a snack, and headed off to my room. A
little while later I hear a loud bang. I finally sound the source in
the kitchen. What a frickin mess it made. Some kind of chemical glop
with granules blown all over the kitchen. I'm sure glad I didn't have
that jar sitting in my lap when it went.

Thanks for the memories.

bb

Mixing Comet and Bleach will produce a vigorous reaction and a yellow
cloud of chlorine gas. I did this as a kid (I forget why, but I had a
non-terrorist reason) and mixed them at the bottom of a deep hole and
crept too close to watch and got a good whiff of chlorine gas. It
felt as if my chest was on fire. I had read that a good antidote was
to get a whiff of ammonia which I rapidly did. I have also read that
soldiers in WW1 would **** into a handkerchief and hold this over
their noses because the ammonia in the pee would help neutraqlize the
chlorine.
Of course, I also burned all my hair off by trying to melt a mixture
od sugar and saltpeter for casting rocket fuel pellets, burned down
the azaleas when my ramjet engine (an old coleman stove fuel tank and
atomizer feeding the kerosene fuel, and an old vacuum cleaner running
in reverse to mimic airflow) expelled a huge cloud of flame, and drove
the neighbors nuts by screwing up all TV reception for blocks by
trying to make a plasma rocket engine with an arc in a glass tube fed
with propane. The arc was made from carbon rods from D cells and my
rheostat was copper rods immersed into salt water connected to 120V.
It produced enough light to turn night into day and freak the
neighbors. By comparison, how dangerous are the computer games my son
plays constantly? Kids these days got no interest in cool stuff.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

hehe, alas, the days of childhood. Charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur with
assorted other chemicals. We made some dandy fireworks during the
summer. I would spend days grinding charcoal briquettes into fine powder
and mix it in the proper proportions. Add a little copper and you get a
get green. Some magnesium and get a brilliant white. A little zinc and
get blue-green, and just plain makes a nice yellow.

We would take rice and break it up, and put it in a rock tumbler with a
little wet powder mix to make the stars. A piece of 3 inch water pipe
for a mortar, and kraft paper from the butcher and potato paste glue to
make the shells.

My friend and I would light up the sky over the lake on the 4th and
Labor Day.

Of course the government had to get involved and make homemade fireworks
illegal.

Capt. Frank
Parallax wrote:

bb wrote in message . ..

[...]

Gene Kearns

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:23:11 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

[...]

ROFL.... don't forget the potassium permanganate and sugar. And I
really miss those M-80s...
Parallax

"plantsman" wrote in message om...
I seem to recall a while back that some boys were making chemical bombs from
something combined with aluminum foil in 2 liter bottles. They were blowing
up mailboxes with them. I can't remember what the chemical was, but was
something very common.

David S.

Probably Drano and Al foil, makes a lot of heat and produces hydrogen.
We would fill balloons that way.