LaBomba182

Default The Bomb Under the Sink

I was going over a friends boat that he has for sale (44 Marine Trader
http://www.cencon.34sp.com/index.html) and he was showing me around because he
would like me to show the boat to a potential buyer over the Thanksgiving
holiday while he is out of town.

As he is showing me around he points out this large dent in his stainless steel
galley sink about as big as if a man punched the sink from underneath with his
closed fist. And a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch high.
When I ask him how that happened, he tells me he had mixed some chemicals
together to clean with (he could not remember just what he mixed with what
anymore) and stored them in a plastic bottle under the galley sink. A while
later he is running the boat with his wife from the bridge and they hear a loud
explosive bang!
He slowed the boat down thinking something has gone wrong with the engs. or
drive gear. After looking through the engine room and finding nothing wrong,
his wife sees fluid leaking under the galley sink cabinet and when they open
the cabinet they find that the bottle with the cleaner mix in it had exploded
with such force that the bottle cap had shot up and hit the sink causing the
large dent!
You could even see the shape of the cap in the dent!

Two thoughts came to mind:

1 Be careful what chemicals you mix together. Duh!

2 And if you are under attack by pirates, check what's under your sink, you
might just be able to make your own bottle bomb, bottle cap rocket launcher.

Capt. Bill