John H

Default Beautiful Bay Day!

Left Deale about 7:15, traveled to the outer limits of Herring Bay and dropped
the lines in the water. Oldfart and Gimp were along to provide direction and
advice, so I knew we'd have a great day. The sky was overcast, temp a little on
the cool side, wind bringing the waves up to almost a foot. What more could one
want?

Well, how about some fish! That would have been nice. We spent about an hour in
Herring Bay, then took off for the Navy Research Center radar towers. Drifted
there for about an hour, with OldFart telling us all hell would break loose
about 11 o'clock. Well, sure enough. As the magic time drew near my rod bent
double. I knew I had a 20" croaker on the hook, but OldFart wouldn't let me get
to my line. He was doing something with the chum! By the time I got there that
21" croaker was gone, along with my shrimp. And then, within the next 15 minutes
he catches two croakers, both in the 15" range. Then Gimp catches another
croaker, this one a little over 15". All of these were caught on shrimp from the
oriental place, the kind with the heads still on. These seemed to work best last
year.

That was it. We messed around for another few hours, with nary a nibble. But,
the day was great!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Harry Krause

John H wrote:
Left Deale about 7:15, traveled to the outer limits of Herring Bay and dropped
the lines in the water. Oldfart and Gimp were along to provide direction and
advice, so I knew we'd have a great day. The sky was overcast, temp a little on
the cool side, wind bringing the waves up to almost a foot. What more could one
want?

Oldfart, Gimp and you? The three stooges of inshore fishing? OF seems
pretty cool..don't know Gimp.

Well, how about some fish! That would have been nice. We spent about an hour in
Herring Bay, then took off for the Navy Research Center radar towers.

The big flounder are on the other side of the Bay, John.

Drifted
there for about an hour, with OldFart telling us all hell would break loose
about 11 o'clock. Well, sure enough. As the magic time drew near my rod bent
double. I knew I had a 20" croaker on the hook, but OldFart wouldn't let me get
to my line. He was doing something with the chum! By the time I got there that
21" croaker was gone, along with my shrimp.

If your story was any longer, it would have be a record-setting 30"
croaker. You were chumming for croaker? Worms are best.

And then, within the next 15 minutes
he catches two croakers, both in the 15" range. Then Gimp catches another
croaker, this one a little over 15". All of these were caught on shrimp from the
oriental place, the kind with the heads still on. These seemed to work best last
year.

Live shrimp are the best. Second best are shrimp that have never been
frozen. I've been catching flounder on artificial shrimp from D.O.A.,
and may go out this weekend in search of trout. Same bait.

That was it. We messed around for another few hours, with nary a nibble. But,
the day was great!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

It was a nice day indeed. Glad you had fun.
Dan Krueger

Harry,

You get an "A" for proofreading, but an "F" for identifying a classic fishing
story. I was looking for a bigger fish as I read on, too.

Just back from the Keys. 4-6's with those occasional 8's yesterday. Good thing
we weren't on my boat! We took a charter on a 55' Ocean. Hard work but some
great dolphin fishing!

Dan

Harry Krause wrote:
John H wrote:

If your story was any longer, it would have be a record-setting 30"
croaker. You were chumming for croaker? Worms are best.

Harry Krause

Harry Krause wrote:

John H wrote:

If your story was any longer, it would have be a record-setting 30"
croaker. You were chumming for croaker? Worms are best.

I sure miss the Florida fishing.

I only had a ocuple of hours today to fish, found some croakers off
Breezy Point in the Bay about 200 yards off the beach. Used a couple of
bloodworms and some artificial sandworms (which I cut into small pieces)
on quarter-ounced jigheads on my lightest spinning tackle, a pair of
5' Ugly Sticks and Penn 4300ss reels strung with Berkley fireline.

Striper fishing must have been slow where I was, because I saw a couple
of boats swing by trolling fairly heavy rigs. Not that usual as close to
shore as I was .