*JimH*

Default Need some advice from the BBQ chefs out there

As payback to our good friends who always take us out on their boat but
never accept money for gas we are having them over tonight for a seafood
fest.....lobster tail, king crab and jumbo shrimp, all served with grilled
peppers and mushrooms.

I would like to do all the cooking on the grill but have only done shrimp on
the grill before.

Any suggestions from you seafood cooks out there on the tails and king crab?

Peter Aitken

"*JimH*" wrote in message
As payback to our good friends who always take us out on their boat but
never accept money for gas we are having them over tonight for a seafood
fest.....lobster tail, king crab and jumbo shrimp, all served with grilled
peppers and mushrooms.

I would like to do all the cooking on the grill but have only done shrimp
on the grill before.

Any suggestions from you seafood cooks out there on the tails and king
crab?

Two suggestions

1) Try rec.food.cooking where you'll find lots of foodies more than welcome
to help.

2) Do not try something you have never done before when you want to impress
guests. It is a recipe (haha) for disaster.

--
Peter Aitken

*JimH* wrote:
As payback to our good friends who always take us out on their boat but
never accept money for gas we are having them over tonight for a seafood
fest.....lobster tail, king crab and jumbo shrimp, all served with grilled
peppers and mushrooms.

I would like to do all the cooking on the grill but have only done shrimp on
the grill before.

Any suggestions from you seafood cooks out there on the tails and king crab?

The grilled peppers and mushrooms sound good.

My favorite BBQ food: Soak some unshucked ears of corn, leaves and all,
in a pail of water for a few minutes. Pull out of pail and drain the
bulk of the water off, but don't worry about getting the corn dry. Put
the corn on the BBQ, and let it cook until the outer leaves begin
burning off. (Your neighbors may look over the fence to see just what
the JimH family is smokin' over there)

Peel away the charred leaves and enjoy. It's perfectly done if the
brownest kernals are not quite burnt.

Duke

"*JimH*" wrote in message
As payback to our good friends who always take us out on their boat but
never accept money for gas we are having them over tonight for a seafood
fest.....lobster tail, king crab and jumbo shrimp, all served with grilled
peppers and mushrooms.

I would like to do all the cooking on the grill but have only done shrimp
on the grill before.

Any suggestions from you seafood cooks out there on the tails and king
crab?

Never done crab on the grill so I will not comment.

Lobster on the other hand is easy. Take some scissors and cut a slit down
the center of the lobster tail lengthwise. Heat up your grill, place
lobster tails on grill after it has reached cooking temperature, cook on one
side for about 3 minutes, cook on the other side for about 3 minutes. Make
a mixture of butter and lemon. Pry the slits in the lobster tail open and
pour some of the mixture into each tail. Cook another couple minutes....

mmm mmm good !!!!!!

Duke

Bryan

"Duke" wrote in message
m...
Lobster on the other hand is easy. Take some scissors and cut a slit down
the center of the lobster tail lengthwise. Heat up your grill, place
lobster tails on grill after it has reached cooking temperature, cook on
one side for about 3 minutes, cook on the other side for about 3 minutes.
Make a mixture of butter and lemon. Pry the slits in the lobster tail
open and pour some of the mixture into each tail. Cook another couple
minutes....

mmm mmm good !!!!!!

Duke

I always enjoy remembering the time my east coast father-in-law came to
visit his daughter and I in San Diego. He had never had our lobster and we
introduced him to lobster Puerto Nuevo style (in Baja California) with the
refried beans, rice, lime, butter, and flour tortillas. He sat there
telling us how it wasn't real lobster and couldn't compare with "real"
lobster (Maine, of course); yet, he devoured his meal, including seconds and
he asks for return visits each time. It's funny how he never treats us to
Maine lobster when we visit back east, but always wants more of our "not
real" lobster when he visits our coast.

Bryan

"*JimH*" wrote in message
As payback to our good friends who always take us out on their boat but
never accept money for gas we are having them over tonight for a seafood
fest.....lobster tail, king crab and jumbo shrimp, all served with grilled
peppers and mushrooms.

I would like to do all the cooking on the grill but have only done shrimp
on the grill before.

Any suggestions from you seafood cooks out there on the tails and king
crab?

I follow the instructions from Steven Raichlen's book, _How to Grill_. My
wife and I have prepared lobster (Pacific Coast California) dinners for our
guests with side-by-side comparisons of grilling vs broiling. Each has its
own merits, but my preference, and the majority of our guests, is grilled
lobster tails. You do have to pay attention and not get distracted if you
want it to come out well!

We always try to have 1 dinner each summer with grilled lobster tails, corn
on the cob, wine and beer, key lime pie, and good friends. It's always a
hit.

We will broil lobster tails for family dinners a few times each year just
because it's easier than grilling.

Grilled lobster tails after sailing from Southern California to Catalina
Island is another wonderful tradition that really hits the spot.

Bottom line, though, is that I will eat lobster, even that stuff from Maine,
anytime and anywhere, grilled or broiled.

Franko

Hello JimH,

IMHO, fresh lobster tastes best boiled: add just enough
water to barely cover the creatures, some salt, a touch of
sugar (really, try it) and four or five thin slices of fresh
ginger (talk about impressing your friends). Boil for 10 to
12 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE COVER during this time to steal a
look, otherwise, the meat will stick to the inside of the
shell. To serve, remove from boiled water and let cool for
five minutes. Separate head from tail. Remove middle tail
fin by twisting and pulling -- insert dowel-end of wooden
spoon (or your clean thumb) to push meat cleanly out of
shell (try not to lick thumb before doing same to next
lobster). Add lemon to melted butter (salted or unsalted).

King crab legs and claws can be prepared the same way as
above but boil for 7 to 9 minutes only. Do not remove cover
during this time... If you wish to grill instead of boil,
cover the pieces with a very large stainless steel bowl or
pan while on the grill for about 8 -10 minutes.

Jumbo shrimp (or prawns as we call 'em downunda) can be
grilled same way as above: cover with SS bowl or pan on the
grill for about 6 to 8 minutes.

Good luck and let us know how things go!!!

Regards,
Franko

Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
Offshore Sailing Advice [email protected] Cruising 27 May 29th 04 12:41 AM
Advice Shrory General 2 February 18th 04 06:50 PM
Prop Size - Advice on Advice? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 December 31st 03 03:17 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM