Default Offshore Sailing Advice

Need some advice on safety equipment for sailing a little offshore. Our
plan is to charter a boat and sail out of New York for about 200 miles than
come back. The idea is to gain some offshore experience but without taking
too much risk.

There will be six of us, three experienced coastal sailors and three
beginners. I have done a little racing offshore (Newport to Bermuda) and
some limited heavy weather sailing but that's it.

The 42' boat will be fairly well equipped with a lifesling, harnesses
etc. but without a few essential items: liferaft, SSB radio, EPIRB, 2nd
VHF. Can we manage without these? We intend to be at sea for only 4-5 days,
so we should have a fairly good idea about the weather but things can
always change.

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?

Regards,
Sail
Doug Dotson

wrote in message
6...
Need some advice on safety equipment for sailing a little offshore. Our
plan is to charter a boat and sail out of New York for about 200 miles

than
come back. The idea is to gain some offshore experience but without

taking
too much risk.

There will be six of us, three experienced coastal sailors and three
beginners. I have done a little racing offshore (Newport to Bermuda) and
some limited heavy weather sailing but that's it.

That sounds like a fair amount of offshore experience. The limited
heavy WX is icing in the cake.

The 42' boat will be fairly well equipped with a lifesling, harnesses
etc.

A lifesling is a useless piece of gear for offshore. Harnesses are
essential.

but without a few essential items: liferaft, SSB radio, EPIRB, 2nd
VHF. Can we manage without these?

Only if you don't have any emergencies.

We intend to be at sea for only 4-5 days,
so we should have a fairly good idea about the weather but things can
always change.

4-5 days is a wide WX window. Especially since you will be out of VHF
range and do not have a SSB to get WX updates.

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?

I suspect that the biggest problem among the beginners is that they might
find out that you are putting their lives in danger. Going that far offshore
without an EPIRB and a liferaft is foolish.

Regards,
Sail

Evan Gatehouse

wrote in message
6...
Need some advice on safety equipment for sailing a little offshore. Our
plan is to charter a boat and sail out of New York for about 200 miles

than
come back. The idea is to gain some offshore experience but without

taking
too much risk.

You found a charter boat company that will let you do this??

There will be six of us, three experienced coastal sailors and three
beginners. I have done a little racing offshore (Newport to Bermuda) and
some limited heavy weather sailing but that's it.

Sounds like a decent mix

The 42' boat will be fairly well equipped with a lifesling, harnesses
etc. but without a few essential items: liferaft, SSB radio, EPIRB, 2nd
VHF. Can we manage without these? We intend to be at sea for only 4-5

days,
so we should have a fairly good idea about the weather but things can
always change.

You can rent EPIRB's from Boat US. You don't need an SSB but at least a
small shortwave rec'r. for weather info would be top of my list. Could
pick up a decent one for about $150-200. You could do without a 2nd VHF I
think; they are pretty reliable and useless beyond 30-40 miles from the
coast. You can probably also rent a liferaft.

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?

Sure - set watches from the beginning. Make sure people take seasickness
pills before they feel queasy. Sail conservatively and don't set out if the
weather is looking dicey or unsettled even if people "have to be back to
work on Monday". Don't do it in April Have lots of easily digested,
"one hand" meals & snacks available to each crew member. Make sure people
drink sufficiently to keep rehydrated. Watch the excess sun and cold.
Dress to suit the conditions. Get people together to discuss their
expectations and what circumstances would make you run for the coast and
shelter.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Why don't you just run off the coast at about 25 miles. There's little
difference to this than going 200 miles off shore. That way you can
always turn in if the weather looks like it's going bad. I doubt that
you'll find charter companies willing to provide a boat to go offshore,
especially when no one has offshore experience.

A weather radio can provide verbal forcasts and you can always rent a
satellite phone for emergency contacts. The suggestion for a rental
EPIRB is a good idea, but if you're only 25 miles off shore, there's a
good chance that someone will be in VHF range.

-- Geoff

" wrote in
6:

[...]

Dick

Your biggest problem will be picking a weather window in advance so you can
tell the charter company when you want the boat. I personaly like to wait till
I see the window and then leave.

You can probably rent the liferaft in a bag and an epirb if you want them, but
I do not know where you would do that in New York.

For seasickness you can take something like Bonnie the day before and the
morning you leave and then the next day. Seasickness doesn't last more than
three days for most people. For fatigue you can only go sailing before you go
and get use to it. If you are not use to it you will get vary tired. You will
not make good decisions when you are tired so make sure everyone gets enough
rest.

Dick